Corvette Z06 Forum banner

More ZR1 News

8K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Napper 
#1 ·
Zippy and his friends continue to supply us with great ZR1 news...

*ZR1: For On and Off the Track
Detroit News*
By Henry Payne
Aug. 20, 2008

Want some ZR1 advice? Don't buy it unless you plan to race it.

Driving the brand new, $103,000 Corvette ZR1 on the street is not much different than driving the $47,000-base 2009 Corvette C6 coupe -- already one of the world's finest two-seater sports cars.

Both models offer attractive interiors, comfort, and unobtrusive sound from their 6.2-liter engines. And the standard C6's 420 horsepower and 420-pound-feet-of torque provides plenty of get-up-and-go to stomp on any
911 or M3 lurking at a stop light. So why pay the $50,000 premium on the ZR1?

Because, when unleashed on the race track, the ZR1 proves to be a serious competition car wrapped in production vehicle's clothing.

As a veteran race driver of 25 years, I have competed in a variety of sports cars, including purpose-built racing prototypes like the 1969 Porsche 908 (the first Porsche to win the world manufacturer's championship) and the
1977 Toj 205C (one of the first winged sports racers and perhaps the fastest 2-liter car of its era).

The ZR1 is in the same league with these race-spec automobiles. And unlike similar super cars like the Ferrari 430 Scuderia or the Porsche GT, it achieves this performance for a price well south of the usual $250,000 super-car sticker.

An afternoon of driving the ZR1 on General Motors Corp.'s challenging test track in Milford is proof that the General's "ultimate Corvette" deserves to be mentioned in the same breath -- not with other production GTs -- but with sports racers. With 14 turns snaking over 3 miles, GM's Milford facility is reminiscent of great American tracks like Mid-Ohio or Watkins Glen, and is a firm test for Vette and driver.

Weight is the first fundamental that separates race cars from the average street GT. Even as the Porsche 908 has roughly the same 350 horsepower as, say, a 2008 BMW M3 Coupe, it weighs only 1,350 pounds compared to the M3's 3,450. The resulting 4:1 weight-to-power ratio makes the 908 more nimble and powerful coming off corners compared to the M3's 10:1 ratio (common to Audis, Porsches and other fast street coupes).

But not to the ZR1.

While the car's supercharged, 6.2-liter engine produces a mind-boggling 638 horsepower and 600-pound-feet of torque, it does so in a 3,324-pound package, giving it a 5:1 weight-to-power ratio within striking distance of the finest racing prototypes. Moreover, though the Vette is front-engined, its transmission is in the rear, giving the car a 50-50 weight balance similar to mid-engine sports racers.

In other words, the ZR1 chassis is bred for racing, and its 12-inch rear and 10-inch front tires (about the same as the 908, coincidentally) provide extra stick to slide through corners while dialing in the power. Only the ZR1's slight body roll -- the inevitable result of its streetable (if still
stiff) springs -- reminds you that the car is not fully race prepared.

But the real revelation of the ZR1 is its brakes.

Like modern LeMans race cars, the ZR1 is outfitted with massive, light-weight carbon-ceramic discs that quickly dispense heat to prevent brake fade and pad wear. Unlike modern racers, however, the ZR1 benefits from a state-of-the-art ABS (anti-lock) brake system.

The result are brakes that far exceed those on the 908 or Toj (much less any street hot rod. Consider: The vaunted M3 accelerates from 0 -100 in 11.3 seconds. The ZR1 goes from 1-100 -- AND BACK TO 0 in less than 11 seconds!).

Driving toward Turn 6 at the Milford at 100 mph, the driver can wait until the last moment, stomp with all his might on the brakes and confidently turn into the corner without fear of lockup thanks to the ABS computer monitoring all four corners. Try this in a sports racer -- even one weighing 1,300 pounds, and you will lock up the fronts and plow straight off the track.

This Superman braking allows -- demands -- driving beyond the limit. The key to driving the Porsche 956 "ground effects" prototype of the 1980s, world champion Brian Redman once said, was keeping your foot in a corner beyond what your brain told you was safe -- because at that point the aerodynamics of the 956 really started to work.

Similarly, the ZR1's brake system encourages overdriving into corners -- because the brakes will not only save you but allow you to comfortably rotate the car into the apex. While I only tested the outer limits of these capabilities in my one-day familiarization with the ZR1, a couple laps spent in the passenger seat with GM's test driver, Tony, was a remarkable demonstration of how far the ZR1's brakes can push the envelope.
With its power and brake capabilities, the ZR1 blurs the line between production car and racer. So buy it. Then start reserving weekends to travel Grattan Raceway, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Watkins Glen International .

See less See more
#6 ·
henry payne..
he is a WV boy..
his dad recently died.. he owned several late 60's earyl 70's race porsches..
very rare cars.. over a mil each.. wow.
and
he vintage raced them. very cool

#7 · (Edited)
After a recent encouter with a Zr1.....it truly is an amazing machine.

i finally got a chance to sit in one...and though not much different....you feel faster just sitting there.

I really figured if i cammed up...lowered my car put better tires...better pads
that i could a least match a stock Zr1....well that was a bunch of whooeey

To me its Awesome.....but i can't drive my Zo6 to its pontential... i added some smart mods....better tires, ceramic pads , lowering ( for better control)
and a nice short shifter. .

The Zr1 ...man people should grab em.....if GM keeps going in its same direction...a Zr1 is not a car they will be producing.

On the other hand maybe they will, as a show of their technological expertise in a 100k package

When they sell for 99k MSRP ...I'll be the first of many to buy one cause it will be a true collectable. And i beleive an investment.

#9 · (Edited)
Well in my encounter with one... One i know recieved just a tune...

I observed its non squat luanch, Also its brakes slowed it faster..though we didn't both stand on it..

I think i'm very close to overall performance in upto 4th gear....

*encountered Zr1 was not the one i sat in*

Hey i got chewed up by memeber here......when i said i stayed within 1.5 cars of the Zr1 to an undisclosed speed.

Im sure if i were to drive one.....it would feel easier to achieve similar lap times...or straightline numbers. Even though my modifications are dead on for an "overall improved Zo6"

i produce anywhere from 540 to upto 551 depnding on dyno and temp
with torque in the 520 range..

granted the 200 lbs....i'm also lower slung better drag and downforce.....If i had coilovers better rotors and could eek a litle more torque. or lose some weight..

I 've posted some decent track times....but i think a stock Zr1 with a tune and on Dr's would waste me. However if i lost weight ,rotational mass, real brake upgrades, better shifting ect.

we'd ave to addrss the zo6 shortcomig to the zr1.....and even then it woul be a stock car vs a modded one...... the tune on a Zr1 brings very upper 500rwhp...i think it was quoted at 580 ish
with similar tq increases bove stock.

personally i think the MSRP by GM is right on....too bad the dealers need to rape the only people buying..

#12 ·
In that case......hell yes..

I definitely could take one bone stock.....and likely stay with him on certain types of tracks..

the majority of Zr1 owner aren't gonna jeeapordize there warranttee's and since they can scan ....now for tunning.....even if its returned to stock.
they and hve voided drivetrain warranttees

i've done the well sorted mods. better braking, better handling and similar rwhp with one step up in gears....

G
#23 ·
I dont care how outdated my Z06 becomes , it will always be a bad ass and still be able to hold its own. but your right about the supercharging and twin turbos Ect. Seems like every car that wants to race me now has that. Everybody wants a piece of the Z06 as soon as they bolt it on. its like thats what they go out to find.. Funny isnt it how one day your at the top and a couple of years later you find out your cars technology just got kicked to the curb for some new radical design.

#24 ·
I was on my dealers list for a ZR1 for about 13 months and then when they first came out the gouging was such I decided it wasn't worth the premium.

I know the prices have dropped drastically; but, I'm glad they were gouging people at first as it forced me to keep the Z and look for another toy, that's why I picked a new ACR five months ago. Absolutely no regrets!

#30 ·
Base Price: 2010 Nissan GT-R Spec V: 15,750,000 yen (about US $170,000)
2010 Nissan GT-R Spec V Pictures
Nissan GT-R Gets Japan-Only Spec V Model
The Nissan GT-R Spec V is the first factory special edition to come from Nissan Japan. While the GT-R Spec V does not add a whole lot performance-wise to standard GT-R cars, its powerful styling enhancements, weight savings and trick high gear boost controller should ensure every unit will be snapped up by the Nissan devout in Japan.

Nissan GT-R Spec V Performance

Introduced at the Tokyo Auto Salon, the 2010 GT-R Spec V carries the same engine as other GT-R cars, though a boost controller is added which provides additional torque in high gear to pass that imported Corvette ZR1 on the highway, or the Nurburgring. Operated via a button on the dash, the extra boost engages for 80 seconds, then disengages on its own, presumably to save load on the engine.

Other Spec V performance extras include a high-flow titanium exhaust, adjustable more-aggressive Bilstein shocks and carbon-ceramic composite Brembo brakes front and rear. Did Nissan opt out of universally raising boost or engine tuning to aid maximum power output in order to make way for an even-more-aggressive GT-R variant? We hope so.

I know this is the Japan, non-import version, but it sure doesn't seem cheaper than the ZR1.............I guess it's all relative.
Around here there is a bit more dealer markup, so much for Nissan regulating the dealerships and the GTR is right up there with the ZR1.....yeah a bit cheaper but when you're looking at 6 figures, a couple thousand 1 way or another isn't a big deal.
So......you start modding the GTR.....can we mod the ZR1 equally? There is a red ZR-1 in Tampa that would love to play and he has no problem tracking the car, either road or drag but preferrs road course.
You may have gotten one from a dealer at only 10K over but that is not the average. Modding either of these cars is going to be fairly costly and about equal at the final $$ total.
But with the "revised" launch control the GTR is not the same, except for the transmission replacement $$$, got $ 21K laying around?? After they void your warranty for using the launch device.

Oh well, have fun with the ugly one!! Just my opinion though.

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm a GM man..

2 GTO's with all the works, brakes, suspesnion, driveline...and of course motors

1 Zo6 ram air, comp cammed, arh, lowered and Non runflats..plus a little intake a TB porting ( thanks Cory)

Now i wanna see what this GTR can do with a reflash and larger turbos

Yes i own a Nissan......i don't want it to be faster than the Zr1. Since i own a proftable dyno/ tuner shop geared toward non American cars

with the righ HP/ weight reduction/and AWD i fear the GTR can dethrown the viper Acr and the Zr1

Nissan has been keping an eye on our supercars.

And Hyundia has been keeping an eye on Nissan....that genesis with a tiny
2l turbo has already prerelease modificaton...450..500wheel hp is attaniable

and at what a price 10k over MSRp for the spec r.

Now we are pricing ourselvles out of the market. damn

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
With modifications I don't think i need to use launch control....i mean really 3.3 -3.5....the turbo's hit hard...as you can imagine once tweaked up abit.

I with all my heart WANT the Zr1 to be better....mod for mod. Stock for stock.

Doesn't the Zr1 ,in a sense , represent America? So Nissan comes up with a sly sceme , 2000 cars a year.(its basicaly like the NSX was) a small #'s production car that they put alot of tech into. Look at how much buzz is going on about it....

Nissan dealers walk in traffic has tripled. Smart Japanese.!. While loving the Zr1.....you 've got to admire the GTR's track ability. Didn't Audi get kick out of certain types of track racing because of its dominance over the group due to AWD..
Awd is great.....but Still i prefer to swing the back out and steer with my gas pedal.

Yet the conflition exsists...the GTR is more comfortable and easier at its limit.
I love it and hate it for that.....meaning anyone can look like a champ in the GTR with 0 skill... the Zr1 is for a (hu)man to drive.

The Zr1 is faster and over on the GTR. but the caveat is "with the right driver"

2 drivers of below average skill.....and the win will go to the electronic Nannie driven GTR. This angers me.( in a Zr1 GTR face off)

Lets roll reverse and put launch and all other means of chassis control on the Zr1....then lets go and play.

What the Japanese have some sort of voodoo magic that allows a heavier less powerful car to equal the fastest most powerful and most technologicaly advanced Corvette ever made on the Nurinburing?

No they apply advanced tech to their car. i mean it isn't even close to being balanced 50 /50

Zora always wanted a mid engine...and i beleive later in life, awd for the vette.Why not honor him..and put this war to a rest. At least the awd would do it....but both would be unbeatable.

I hope you friend with the red Zr1 keeps kicking ass. Now the question begs.....does he use different tires for track vs 1/4 racing?

thats another area where the GTR does very well, due totally to its nannies and Awd.
An Awd...Zr1 C7. Hell GM do it like the japanese....copy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.