More ZR1 News - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > Z06Vette News & Polls > Z06Vette News
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 05:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to mdickie Send a message via MSN to mdickie
Lifetime Premium Member
More ZR1 News

Zippy and his friends continue to supply us with great ZR1 news...

*ZR1: For On and Off the Track
Detroit News*
By Henry Payne
Aug. 20, 2008

Want some ZR1 advice? Don't buy it unless you plan to race it.

Driving the brand new, $103,000 Corvette ZR1 on the street is not much different than driving the $47,000-base 2009 Corvette C6 coupe -- already one of the world's finest two-seater sports cars.

Both models offer attractive interiors, comfort, and unobtrusive sound from their 6.2-liter engines. And the standard C6's 420 horsepower and 420-pound-feet-of torque provides plenty of get-up-and-go to stomp on any
911 or M3 lurking at a stop light. So why pay the $50,000 premium on the ZR1?

Because, when unleashed on the race track, the ZR1 proves to be a serious competition car wrapped in production vehicle's clothing.

As a veteran race driver of 25 years, I have competed in a variety of sports cars, including purpose-built racing prototypes like the 1969 Porsche 908 (the first Porsche to win the world manufacturer's championship) and the
1977 Toj 205C (one of the first winged sports racers and perhaps the fastest 2-liter car of its era).

The ZR1 is in the same league with these race-spec automobiles. And unlike similar super cars like the Ferrari 430 Scuderia or the Porsche GT, it achieves this performance for a price well south of the usual $250,000 super-car sticker.

An afternoon of driving the ZR1 on General Motors Corp.'s challenging test track in Milford is proof that the General's "ultimate Corvette" deserves to be mentioned in the same breath -- not with other production GTs -- but with sports racers. With 14 turns snaking over 3 miles, GM's Milford facility is reminiscent of great American tracks like Mid-Ohio or Watkins Glen, and is a firm test for Vette and driver.

Weight is the first fundamental that separates race cars from the average street GT. Even as the Porsche 908 has roughly the same 350 horsepower as, say, a 2008 BMW M3 Coupe, it weighs only 1,350 pounds compared to the M3's 3,450. The resulting 4:1 weight-to-power ratio makes the 908 more nimble and powerful coming off corners compared to the M3's 10:1 ratio (common to Audis, Porsches and other fast street coupes).

But not to the ZR1.

While the car's supercharged, 6.2-liter engine produces a mind-boggling 638 horsepower and 600-pound-feet of torque, it does so in a 3,324-pound package, giving it a 5:1 weight-to-power ratio within striking distance of the finest racing prototypes. Moreover, though the Vette is front-engined, its transmission is in the rear, giving the car a 50-50 weight balance similar to mid-engine sports racers.

In other words, the ZR1 chassis is bred for racing, and its 12-inch rear and 10-inch front tires (about the same as the 908, coincidentally) provide extra stick to slide through corners while dialing in the power. Only the ZR1's slight body roll -- the inevitable result of its streetable (if still
stiff) springs -- reminds you that the car is not fully race prepared.

But the real revelation of the ZR1 is its brakes.

Like modern LeMans race cars, the ZR1 is outfitted with massive, light-weight carbon-ceramic discs that quickly dispense heat to prevent brake fade and pad wear. Unlike modern racers, however, the ZR1 benefits from a state-of-the-art ABS (anti-lock) brake system.

The result are brakes that far exceed those on the 908 or Toj (much less any street hot rod. Consider: The vaunted M3 accelerates from 0 -100 in 11.3 seconds. The ZR1 goes from 1-100 -- AND BACK TO 0 in less than 11 seconds!).

Driving toward Turn 6 at the Milford at 100 mph, the driver can wait until the last moment, stomp with all his might on the brakes and confidently turn into the corner without fear of lockup thanks to the ABS computer monitoring all four corners. Try this in a sports racer -- even one weighing 1,300 pounds, and you will lock up the fronts and plow straight off the track.

This Superman braking allows -- demands -- driving beyond the limit. The key to driving the Porsche 956 "ground effects" prototype of the 1980s, world champion Brian Redman once said, was keeping your foot in a corner beyond what your brain told you was safe -- because at that point the aerodynamics of the 956 really started to work.

Similarly, the ZR1's brake system encourages overdriving into corners -- because the brakes will not only save you but allow you to comfortably rotate the car into the apex. While I only tested the outer limits of these capabilities in my one-day familiarization with the ZR1, a couple laps spent in the passenger seat with GM's test driver, Tony, was a remarkable demonstration of how far the ZR1's brakes can push the envelope.
With its power and brake capabilities, the ZR1 blurs the line between production car and racer. So buy it. Then start reserving weekends to travel Grattan Raceway, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Watkins Glen International .

Do not worry about the world ending today, it is already tomorrow in Australia...
mdickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 07:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Location: Edgewater, MD Z06 Fests 2,3,4,5,6,7 Ocean & WinterFests 1, 2, 3 & 4
Send a message via AIM to mjustmike
Lifetime Premium Member
Re: More ZR1 News

Great read.................now I REALLY wish I had $ 125K sitting around!!! :eek2:
Old 08-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dev
Z06 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjustmike View Post
Great read.................now I REALLY wish I had $ 125K sitting around!!! :eek2:
It's in the secret offshore bank account....
Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Master

We should get a forum time-share ZR1. :D
proexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Flex182

Thought Santi clause was going to get me one but I'll settle for my Z06
Old 12-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wvphoto
Lifetime Premium Member

henry payne..
he is a WV boy..
his dad recently died.. he owned several late 60's earyl 70's race porsches..
very rare cars.. over a mil each.. wow.
and
he vintage raced them. very cool

2011 tied winner of the ladies division autocross !!
zfest
wvphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

After a recent encouter with a Zr1.....it truly is an amazing machine.

i finally got a chance to sit in one...and though not much different....you feel faster just sitting there.

I really figured if i cammed up...lowered my car put better tires...better pads
that i could a least match a stock Zr1....well that was a bunch of whooeey

To me its Awesome.....but i can't drive my Zo6 to its pontential... i added some smart mods....better tires, ceramic pads , lowering ( for better control)
and a nice short shifter. .

The Zr1 ...man people should grab em.....if GM keeps going in its same direction...a Zr1 is not a car they will be producing.

On the other hand maybe they will, as a show of their technological expertise in a 100k package

When they sell for 99k MSRP ...I'll be the first of many to buy one cause it will be a true collectable. And i beleive an investment.

Last edited by Napper; 12-29-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napper View Post
I really figured if i cammed up...lowered my car put better tires...better pads that i could a least match a stock Zr1....well that was a bunch of whooeey
How can you tell that's whooeey by just sitting in it? With headers, cams, and some minor head work the LS7 comes pretty close to the ZR1 motor. And the Z06 weighs 200 pounds less.
jdemeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well in my encounter with one... One i know recieved just a tune...

I observed its non squat luanch, Also its brakes slowed it faster..though we didn't both stand on it..

I think i'm very close to overall performance in upto 4th gear....

*encountered Zr1 was not the one i sat in*

Hey i got chewed up by memeber here......when i said i stayed within 1.5 cars of the Zr1 to an undisclosed speed.

Im sure if i were to drive one.....it would feel easier to achieve similar lap times...or straightline numbers. Even though my modifications are dead on for an "overall improved Zo6"

i produce anywhere from 540 to upto 551 depnding on dyno and temp
with torque in the 520 range..

granted the 200 lbs....i'm also lower slung better drag and downforce.....If i had coilovers better rotors and could eek a litle more torque. or lose some weight..

I 've posted some decent track times....but i think a stock Zr1 with a tune and on Dr's would waste me. However if i lost weight ,rotational mass, real brake upgrades, better shifting ect.

we'd ave to addrss the zo6 shortcomig to the zr1.....and even then it woul be a stock car vs a modded one...... the tune on a Zr1 brings very upper 500rwhp...i think it was quoted at 580 ish
with similar tq increases bove stock.

personally i think the MSRP by GM is right on....too bad the dealers need to rape the only people buying..

Last edited by Napper; 12-30-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
a stock Zr1 with a tune and on Dr's would waste me
Right but a ZR-1 with a tune is not a stock ZR-1. My point is that Z06 with some minor, well executed LS-7 modifications regularly post quarter mile times faster than a stock ZR-1.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Great read
jjwvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

In that case......hell yes..

I definitely could take one bone stock.....and likely stay with him on certain types of tracks..

the majority of Zr1 owner aren't gonna jeeapordize there warranttee's and since they can scan ....now for tunning.....even if its returned to stock.
they and hve voided drivetrain warranttees

i've done the well sorted mods. better braking, better handling and similar rwhp with one step up in gears....
Old 12-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
the majority of Zr1 owners aren't gonna jeeapordize there warranttee's and since they can scan ....now for tunning.....even if its returned to stock. they have voided drivetrain warranttees
The majority of ZR1 owners are collectors and speculators. It's a totally different demographic than the driving enthusiasts and motorheads who buy the Z06.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

Location: Edgewater, MD Z06 Fests 2,3,4,5,6,7 Ocean & WinterFests 1, 2, 3 & 4
Send a message via AIM to mjustmike
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemeis View Post
The majority of ZR1 owners are collectors and speculators. It's a totally different demographic than the driving enthusiasts and motorheads who buy the Z06.
Too bad that is the truth for the majority of these super cars.....they are destined for the garage/ show car futures....probably hardly ever get out to breathe fresh air.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

PORCHES,

FERRARIS

Gallardo's

much more expensive........and driven..hell even the Viper

they are all driven.......strut your stuff if you got tthe cashto buuy them...they flail them.

why should the zr1 , looking almost like a Z06 with warrantee be any different

Last edited by Napper; 01-01-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > Z06Vette News & Polls > Z06Vette News