Product Review: California Water Blade + Dusters

21K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  skytop 
#1 ·
California Water Blade + Dusters
April 10, 2001

By: N4C5S

Member Rating:

Total votes: 95

I must admit, when I picked up this set from Noel at Autobuffs, I was highly skeptical for fear of scratching my new Z06 but after talking with him, I decided that I'd give the set a try (on the truck first :)

I have to tell you, the first time a dusted the Z with the duster set I was cringing but as it glided over the slick, freshly-zainoed finish, I got more and more comfortable. In fact, I was amazed at the results. With a few very light strokes in less than 2 minutes, the car looked like I had just washed it...I was truly impressed. Two weeks later the pollen came and I thought no way will this product suck up all of this nasty pollen and survive. To my amazement, the duster ate the pollen with one stroke and begged for more. At this point I was locked in.

Now, I wash the car at least half as frequently, which saves me money at the local one-arm bandit of a do-it-yourself carwash. This set will easily pay for itself in a half a year's worth of washing.

Now, my procedure is to wash the car twice a month and Zaino, then every morning (and sometimes evening cause I'm fanatical) take 2 minutes to knock the dust off. My car looks like I wash it everyday!

The couple of minor points I did not like about the duster was first that it will streak the car on a hot day when first used. This is due to the parrafin wax which is imbedded in the fibers and is clearly defined in the instructions. And it's not as bad as it sounds, the streaks are easily removed with a couple extra strokes. Once the duster is used a few times, it no longer continues to do this, so no big deal. The second issue is more of look and feel. The packaging and design is rather cheaply done. While this has no bearing on the quality of the product, it does detract from the attactivness of the set. I'm a sucker for cool packaging and logos, so go figure. Again, very minor.

Next, the waterblade. Now, I swore I'd never scrape my car with this device but once I got sandblasted by the parking lot rocks, I figured it couldn't hurt to try it. Bam, once again, it works like a charm. A few strokes and most of the water is whisked away leaving only small spots to hit with a towel. Saves me over 15 minutes and the wife from washing 3 towels :)

No scratching and super easy. I can honestly say that I can recommend this product to everyone I meet and be sure they will get identical results. In short, one of the best detailing tools on the market and a real time-saver.

Run, don't walk to get a set of these dusters and waterblade.

See less See more
#5 ·
I have been using the water blade and the duster for years on my vettes. I have had great service out of both products. The only thing about the blade, you need to be careful about the handle when getting into or near tight spots. My wife put a scratch in the clear on her H3. It came out very easily but she was upset about her new baby.

#9 ·
I got one better. I have a black car now and its a weekly wash routine. With a weekly wash I have it washed and waxed in 10 minutes flat.

I hose the car off...I use eagle one bucketless car wash spray... with a mitt. Then hose off the soap. Then use the waterblade with a swipe and wipe of the blade with each pass.. ..starting at the windows and top of the car and work my way down the sides, front and back.

then I use eagle one wax as you dry. Spray one...wipe off. I get the whole car done in ten minutes.

I use tire spray and if I'm feeling energetic...I wipe down the wheels .

The wheels take an extra five minutes.

15 minutes and the car is totally done..

Once a month I just NXT on top of all my efforts.

I've used zaino and its great. I've used Rejex and its great too. Bottom line though is since with a black car I'm doing this once a week..

Eagle one wins out and the car two years later looks awesome.

First and last black car. I figure ten minutes a week is no biggie but my red white and silver cars were quite a bit easier.

#11 ·
Hay i have used these products and both are fabulous and up to the mark. In the same line is there any other product which you are going to introduce especially related to the hair loss problem. Waiting for your reply.:anyone:
You've got to be a spammmer, right?

Otherwise, that is one of the most ignorant comments I have ever heard :screwy:

Mike

#13 ·
:lol: :lol: ...and what about your new product for jock itch?

#15 ·
I have been very pleased with the my original CA dusters. I bought my first set of dusters 9 years ago for my 82 911SC. They do a great job!

This thread initially reminded me that I needed to get a new set of dusters for my black Z06. It also gave me an idea for my son's 27th birthday coming up. ;)

So, after reading this thread, I decided to give the water blades a try too. It was the comments made about wiping down the blade after each stroke that sealed the deal. Great advice! :doh:

So, I just got back here after spending a small fortune at CA Duster official website buying all kinds of detailing stuff for my son and I. Two of everything! :drunken:

Finding even the smallest scratches in paint can lead to hair loss due to excessive pulling. :spam:

#16 ·
......Finding even the smallest scratches in paint can lead to hair loss due to excessive pulling.
Thanks for the clarification! Now that spammers comment makes sense. :lol: :lol:

#22 ·
Welcome to :z:

From their website FAQ:

BECAUSE OF A SPECIAL PERMANENTLY BAKED IN PARAFFIN TREATMENT, THE ORIGINAL CALIFORNIA DUSTERS ARE MADE TO PROVIDE YEARS OF EFFECTIVE SERVICE WITHOUT THE NEED FOR CLEANING. SIMPLY SHAKE THEM OUT BEFORE AND AFTER EACH USE. THE "DIRTIER" THEY GET THE BETTER THEY WORK.

#24 ·
What happened to the kinder, gentler Mike? :lol: :rofl:

#27 ·
Roger that! Open season on those MoFos :D

#29 ·
There are many other fully equivalent brands of "blades" besides the rather over priced California Water Blade. Over the years, I have purchased quite a number of different brands including the California Blades. Essentially no difference between them except color.

Be certain you either wipe the silicone edge while using it to be certain you didn't pick up a small stone or hard road debris. These type of 'blades' work as well on painted surfaces as on glass. A real time saver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.