Corvette Z06 Forum banner

DIY: Is your trunk starting to stick yet?

24K views 35 replies 30 participants last post by  RedTexasZ06 
#1 ·
After a while if you use your trunk a lot like I do and after owning way to many FRCs there is an easy fix. At both ends of the inside of the trunk lid there are spring loaded rubber bumpers adjust them out by turning them to the left and poof your trunk will open like new so you do have to try to stick your fingers under or like I used to do open and close the drivers door so the air preasure would force it up.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. Mine has been sticking since August and I have had to shut the door to get it to open far enough to get my fingers under it. In another thread it was also mentioned that WD40 on the latch will help but haven't tried it yet.

:z: :z:

#7 ·
Re: Cal Jr. writes:

KevZ06Torch said:

Ah...come on Cal...
your trunk has been stuck for a LOT LONGER THAN THAT!!!!
:eek: :D :p

(JUST PLAYING :)
:cheers:
You owed me that Kev. I believe your getting me back for putting you up to doing burn outs in the rental. And consiquently scaring the tarnation out of Zippster and his wife, the last day. :jawdrop:
Rumor has it, this was Kevs first burn out too! :lol: So, everyone watch out for those front wheel drive cars around the hotels in 03". :rofl:

#18 ·
This does work but when the trunk is shut the edges right above the adjusters stick up more than normal. I'm leaving it the way it is so the body panels all flow like they should...I can live with shutting my driver's door to get the trunk to open.

#19 ·
This does work but when the trunk is shut the edges right above the adjusters stick up more than normal. I'm leaving it the way it is so the body panels all flow like they should...I can live with shutting my driver's door to get the trunk to open.
Just put some WD 40 or some powdered graphite on the hinges and yu'll be good to go! :yeadog:

#22 ·
:mad: Mine also...and I guess it's NOT covered in the Major Guard extended warranty...
(I just found this out/ even though I had it worked on under the original 3 yr warranty)

ON another note/ did you see this thread was started YEARS ago when I was bantering back and forth with Cal?...LOL...I miss my roomie from the first Fest!!:drunken:

#25 ·
FWIW, this is an old thread, and there were subsequent reports of stress cracks on the deck lid paint (in the area of the emblem, iirc) that were suspected to be related to the raised bumpers.

While raising the edges won't necessarily do that, it also requires added pressure on the lid to get the latch to hook, and the resulting forced flex of the lid might cause fatigue marks over time.

At the time, there were also threads about helper springs and other tricks, but the safest way is lube the hinges and weatherstrip and/or just use the air compression from closing the door (windows up) to pop it up.

Just an FYI.