What tires should I get for my Z06? - Page 9 - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > Other Z06 Topics > Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What tires should I put on my Black C5 Z06?
Goodyear F1 Supercar (original equipment) 35 13.36%
Michelin PS2 116 44.27%
Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval 29 11.07%
Other 82 31.30%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #121 (permalink)

Re: What tires should I get for my Z06?

I just put a set of Continental Extreme Contacts on and am very impressed. They are reasonably priced and fit my '01 Z well. I feel as if I am in a completely different car. I got rid of the Firestone Firehawks and the car thanks me every day. I am actually a Firestone fan on my other cars so that says a little something. Can't wait for my next HPDE event.
MeantToDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #122 (permalink)
Z06 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogill80 View Post
My needs are similar but, since I run Hoosiers on track and autocross, that is not a consideration (an unholy compromise IMO).

I am about to replace my GY F1's (2nd set) and would rather avoid spending so much on a compromise tire. I need a tire specifically for a dry street.

The BF Goodrich tires appear to be a good compromise between price (~$230 ea. from Discount Tire) and performance (UCOG = 300) but, I know precisely nothing about them. I have heard neither raves nor rants.

I, too, am open to suggestions/recommendations.
I bought the Goodrich tires and am quite pleased with them. I switched to 18" rims for the front. Although the tires are noisy, they are no more noisy than the F1's they replaced. The ride quality is better than the F1's, the price was less, and, although I have not challenged them on the track (and will not), the grip seems to be more than adequate. The UTQG = 300 which is slightly harder than the F1's and ten times harder than my Hoosier track tires.
dogill80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #123 (permalink)

I just ran the Hot Rod Power Tour. 4500 miles round trip. I had 300 miles on the Continental ext contacts dw before the trip and promised I'd report back. I am still very happy with these tires. The tires have awesome traction, good ride and great rain drivability. I drove through record rains along I-10 in the Pensacola Fl area and had minimal hydroplaning. Can't wait for the next HPDE. Also, the 26 mpg was a bonus. Pricing is very reasonable as well.
MeantToDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #124 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

I'm on my second set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The first set were shaved to 4/32. They were AMAZING but obviously I sacrificed a huge amount of tread life for track performance. We were afraid of chunking cause last year we went through 3 sets of Pirelli PZeroCorsas (not on the Z06 - a different car) and they chunked. Pirelli's answer was that we should have shaved them.

The Corsas have a treadwear rating of 60 (super soft/sticky). The MPSS have a treadwear rating of 300. This multi-compound tire provides amazing grip on the track but is great for street driving (in 3 seasons - not winter) and also a good performer in wet conditions. It's close to the best of all worlds, and for me was the answer (I want street legal, street appropriate tires I can use every day and also take to the track).

I put a full set on about a month ago. Since then I drove to/from Pocono and ran two days on track. Then drove to/from Road America and ran two days on track. Full tread this time. They held up beautifully and provided wonderful grip at both tracks.

The chief instructor at our local track also runs full tread MPSS on his GT3RS and thinks they are as close to street legal slicks as you can get. He drives harder than anyone I know, and he is impressed by the grip on track.

If I run enough miles on the other car I'll put MPSS on that one too (but since it no longer goes to the track now that I have the Z06 - the tires will last longer).
needmoregarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #125 (permalink)

Just put new goodyears back on. great dry traction but was in bad rain storm and hydroplaned terrible.
Pybearhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #126 (permalink)
Banned

What does everyone think of the NITTO ENVOS? Great price! But that's not the only thing to look at. Just wondered if anyone has used them.

Last edited by chevyss; 10-18-2012 at 07:04 AM.
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #127 (permalink)

Premium Member

Michelin PS2
Incredible difference---all around!!!
cappy2929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #128 (permalink)
Administrator

Lifetime Premium Member

Like the PS2's but after Michelin screwed me over would never recommend them to others.

Mike
MikesZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #129 (permalink)
Z06 Member

I have been buying tires for many years. I have purchased tires using the SAE (e.g., 6.70/15)' US (F70x14), and metric (295/75R-16). I have bought wide and narrow white walls, red letter, and blackwall tires. I have raced on Good Year and Hoosier tires. With all of this purchasing and usage experience, I STILL have questions along with testimonials and opinions.

The positive:
I have had more good fortune than bad. Blowouts seem to have avoided me since the long ago switch from bias ply to radial ply tire design. I have never had a wreck caused by a failed tire. Although I regard some tires as better than others, I have never removed a tire from a vehicle simply because of its branding.

The bad: I would not hang a Firestone/Bridgestone tire from a tree limb. I think more highly of my family's safety. IMHO, Bridgestones are the roughest riding tire I have ever encountered and are horrible in the wet. My only experience with Falken was that, although a decent tire, they seemed to wear rather quickly.

Both my truck and my wife's '04 Coupe wear Michelins. My Z oh six uses Goodrich's on the street and are a good street tire. I cannot attest to their ability on the track. They are noisy but less so than F1's and quite good in the wet. (NOTE: Goodrich is a wholly owned subsidiary of Michelin.). For either track or autocross use, I am a devoted fan of Hoosier Race Tire and maintain both A6 and R6 compounds.

I cannot (and will not) state that my tire choices are the best tires in the world. That would imply that Pirelli is not a good tire and, despite my lack of first hand knowledge, I know they are very good tires. My tire choices have not failed me and I believe they are quality tires and competitively priced.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #130 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyss View Post
What does everyone think of the NITTO ENVOS? Great price! But that's not the only thing to look at. Just wondered if anyone has used them.
I have Invos on my C5Z and like them very much. They are good in the wet too, which is important to me since I seem to get caught in the rain fairly often.
I do have 18/19" CCW wheels on my car so the sizes are not stock.
I'm running:
18x10 with 275 / 35 18
19x11.5 with 305 / 30 19
Old 01-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #131 (permalink)
Z06 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy2929 View Post
Michelin PS2
Incredible difference---all around!!!
+2, outstanding tire,

RGJZ06
Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #132 (permalink)
Banned

I've decided to get Nitto INVOs come spring. ***edited*** is a great place to buy. Thanks for all the help with info.

Last edited by MikesZ06; 04-24-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Link to non site vendor
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #133 (permalink)

Hello vett lovers. Does anyone know if the 19&20" ZR1 rims would fit my 2009 Z06. I need new tires and the rims i am looking at have the ps2 I have been looking for and I like the look of the ZR1 rims. Could it be a home run?
Thank you for your thoughts.
Louismonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #134 (permalink)
Z06 Member

Yes, they will BUT Z06 rims (18" & 19") will not fit on a ZR1 (rotors are too big).
Old 01-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #135 (permalink)

Hmm so then by having the larger rim from the ZR1, Would i have the option to upgrade to the larger rotors and breaks? Lol I see a pattern here. I was dreaming of spending 7K on a supercharger that would bring h/p to 670 or so. My wife loves the Z too but would be pissed if i spent 7k besides she thinks its fast enough. But the black rims I am thinking of buying would really look great on my black Z06 and a much easer sell to the wife. I picked her up at the gym last night and while she walked out she heard two guys drooling over my Z as I pulled up in front and said loud enough for them to hear "hay baby you want a ride in my car" when she got in the two guys just stood there looking with their mouths open. She loved it.
Louismonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > Other Z06 Topics > Wheels, Tires, and Brakes