Corvette Z06 Forum banner

New guy from Colorado

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  MileHigh JDF 
#1 ·
I forget how much I hate making these threads. I just picked up a new to me 02 Z06 here in Denver last week. The car was bone stock with 109k miles when I picked it up but had a couple "major" electrical issues... at least that's what the dealer thought it had. The turn signals would not work and the ABS/AH/TCS lights were on (C1214 code). I got the dealer to knock $2k off the price because of that. I ended up bypassing the hazard switch with a relay and at some point I will send out the EBCM to be repaired, but its not a major concern right now. The car was a two owner car that spent most of its life out in Cali and has had a fairly easy life. I installed an MGW short throw and a B&B Tri-flow axleback over the weekend. Future plans for it are an ECS blower and some Forgestar F14s. Right now I'm just working on getting general maintenance done on the car and will be looking at starting major mods some time next year. I'm looking forward to learning more about these cars.

See less See more
#4 ·
If you know how to solder instead of downtime, and high repair and shipping costs do exactly what a vendor would charge
and simply unsolder and replace the $2 relay that is the cause of 98% of the time as failure
More about solder joints of relay getting too hot and joint cracking

Save $150 to $200

#9 ·
Remove the EBCM,

remove the small bolts and you might have to pry the edges to get the case apart as there is some sealer in there
the daughter board is small and there is a small relay on bottom side

Look closely at the solder joints, most times it is the ones for the legs of the relay
see if the solder joints look cracked
Relay being small puts out heat from current flow to soldered legs

Either reflow the joints with solder iron or
Best is also replace the small relay, about $2, may take less then 1 hour to replace relay and I'd reflow all solder joints.
This is all some shop does and charges big profits doing it

Do a search on this forum to find past posts I have done that has the part number, common relay most electronic online parts sell
If you cannot find part # or a place that sells them let me know and I can locate that info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.