Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Adding a protective coat to my new ZO6

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Maak S Hi 
#1 ·
Hey Guys--So, I've got the same problem with the new C7 Z as I did with the C6 Z--even with the special wider splash guards I'm getting a bunch of "road rash" on the brake vents just in back of the doors and in front of the rear tires. The factory put some sort of a protective coating on the flat part of the vent, but the vent itself is getting pitted and I've only got 2K miles on my car. I've cleaned it and it's better, but with any driving it gets a new coat of rash. Has anyone used any products like Durashield or 3M to protect these vents, or the front end and/or the headlights, for that matter. Any thoughts are appreciated.

#4 ·
Barry--Thanks for the info; I have ordered the ACS fronts. I had the larger GM fronts but looks like the ACS will do a better job. I have gotten conflicting opinions from companies that do film over the paint. 3M says don't do a black car, Xpel says it's fine. Anyone done a black car? 3M says Texas heat will "cook" the paint under the film here in Texas. Appreciate any thought out there.

#5 ·
I completely Expel'd my black Z06. Been on since March and love it. It's lifted on a few edges but it's warrantied so didn't have to pay anything to fix it. I have yet to have anyone even notice its wrapped. I would highly recommend it. Keeps the paint like new, and keeps off the swirls and light scratches as well.

#10 ·
ACS front and rear splash guards. I believe they do the job and look great. Millions of rocks are pelting the car. So far, I see nothing as far as damage goes. I also did Ceramic Coating-9h-two coats on the body and one coat on the rims. No waxing for 4-5 years and the car is alway shiny!

#9 ·
go here for xpel infol I have done' a C5 front end to save $$$ they have a very "clear" video. also got some plain sheet of it and did wheel arches and lower rear bumper fascia. Take your time, EZ PZ. If you want to have it installed, there's lots of dealers. info on company page.

#11 ·
Have any of you put ceramic paint protection on your car? I have read about it online and was leaning towards doing it, and then I read about the problems if you either put it on wrong or wish to remove it.

It all sound great, guaranteed to repel dirt and road grime for anywhere from 3-9 years depending on weather you do it yourself, or have a "professional" do it. I am all for new stuff but I can't get past the part that says if you want to remove it you need to wet sand it off with 2000 grit sandpaper! For now I may just keep to may various different sealers and what not. But if someone really has built a better mouse trap I would like to hear from some of you that have first hand experience.

#12 ·
Aloha Sir,

New to the forum but have owned Corvettes for some time now...

Picked up my current Z06 back in July, had the rockers, rear quarter panels, and mirrors Xpel'd by the dealership. Also installed ACS's extra large front splash guards and GM's rear splash guards prior to making the drive from the East coast to West coast. Made the 4200 mile trip without any damage, zero rock chips, which was pretty amazing actually. Got the car home to Hawaii in August and it's been my daily driver since (now with 8200 miles).

I've had the car back here for a few months now and did have it coated with CQuartz. I've also gone back to GM front splash guards as the fit of the ACS guards wasn't the greatest, they do work but just look too scabbed on, IMHO anyway. Still no road rash on my rear quarters, though I do have stage 3 aero as well so that may be helping protect things. I really wish I had the front clip and splitter Xpel'd, the roads here on Oahu are absolute trash and it's starting to take a toll on the car's nose.

Oh, regarding the CQuartz process... Paint correction seems to be key, and I was lucky the car was relatively new so very little corrective action was needed. The coating does work as advertised but definitely requires maintenance to keep its hydrophobic properties. Dirt and grime are a lot easier to remove, and bird crap/bee droppings come right off without marring the surface. Overall it seems like a decent investment so far.

HTH a little & Merry Christmas all!

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.