For my driving style and needs will I have issues with the A8 in a Z06? - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

For my driving style and needs will I have issues with the A8 in a Z06?

I am planning on getting a auto z06 2lt 2017. The chances of the car ever going to a track or drag strip are slim to none. My commute from home to work is about 1 mile and the gym is another 1. So on average I drive about 3-4 miles a day and usually put less than 400 miles a month on my car. What I do love is insane acceleration. Like pushing the car from 20-70 and then slowing back down (45 speed limit roads and trying to keep my license lol). So for that kind of driving should I have issues with the A8 transmission that so many forum members complain about? I live in florida but I better make sure the tires are warm before I give it too much gas. I have never owned a car with more than 300 horsepower and this kind of power to weight ratio before so I definitely dont want to get myself in trouble. Im assuming its good to leave it in touring mode all the time for my needs and to get help from the nannies if im being stupid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 06:16 AM
Z06 Addict

Garage
Re: For my driving style and needs will I have issues with the A8 in a Z06?

You shouldn't be making any of your "insane acceleration" runs during your engine warm up period. I am sure even in Florida it will take more than a mile or tow for you oil temperature to reach the recommended 165* before you put any undue stress on that motor, especially with a blown engine. The stress on a cold motor could shorten the life of your motor. You may need to rethink your driving strategy while going to and from work and the gym.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You shouldn't be making any of your "insane acceleration" runs during your engine warm up period. I am sure even in Florida it will take more than a mile or tow for you oil temperature to reach the recommended 165* before you put any undue stress on that motor, especially with a blown engine. The stress on a cold motor could shorten the life of your motor. You may need to rethink your driving strategy while going to and from work and the gym.
I second Bruno's statement. Never place undue stress on cold components until they are up to operating temp. This will help prolong operating life.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

I do go out with my girlfriend or rarely take road trips but on average the car will the driven daily about 4 miles or so. I figure if I can get a full 10 year, 100k bumper to bumper warranty on it with no deductible for $3,035.00 even if things happen I will be covered (I am a Finance Manager for a Lexus Dealership so I can buy extended warranties at cost and have good relations with the people who "Okay" the repair when a claim is filed. Look on the bright side. After a few years I will be able to sell my super low mileage z06 for good money after abusing it like that daily and the guy buying it would never know because if I had any issues the warranty would cover it. I'm more concerned about the car going sideways after giving it lots of gas on cold tires (but south florida is never cold).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 04:35 AM
Z06 Addict

Garage

I may get banned from this site for my next reply but so be it.

Are you for real? Why don't you learn the correct nomenclature of the car your are purchasing? The 1LT,2 & 3 trim package is for the Stingray. The 1LZ,2 & 3 is for the Z06.

Right after you pick up you new car why don't you and your girlfriend go find some deserted tree lined 2 lane road, turn off all the nannies, and make a rolling "insane acceleration" run form about 30mph. Make sure you mash the accelerator to the floor hard and hold it there for a good 10 seconds. Maybe after that you will realize that you should still be driving a Toyota Camry and not a Corvette let alone a Z06.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

I want the 2lz mainly because of the ventilated seats, front cameras and a better sound system. I want it in auto. I understand the overheating issues but that seems to happen only during hard laps done back to back on a race track. Yes, realistically me (and most people on this forum) probably cant even handle the power in corners of a Base Stingray but that doesnt keep them from buying the z06 and c6 zr1. I bought this as my first motorcycle at the age of 22. Respected its power and kept it for 4 years until it finally got stolen outside a restaurant. Now im 33 and id like to think im more responsible than I was at 22. The z06 is fast but I doubt comes anything close to the acceleration and power of a Hayabusa with its power to weight ratio. Plus all the safety features the car provides that I didnt get on the bike.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:01 PM
Z06 Member

Bruno--we have a saying here in Texas-----"Big Hat--no cattle.."

Sometimes you just have to sit and wait.....

For the record, I agree with you all the way. I wish the very best to desibaba.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C7 Z06 Specific Topics > C7 Z06 - Grandstand