Will There Be A C7 Z06? Do We KNOW? - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C7 Z06 Specific Topics > C7 Z06 - Grandstand
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Z06 Member

Will There Be A C7 Z06? Do We KNOW?

Yes, I would sure love it if there will be a C7 Z06. If there is and if it looks good, I will trade in my 06Z. But what do we actually know as to whether there will be such a model? Love it if someone can cite actual-in-the-know GM or other sources that there will be a C7 Z06.

Anyone have any info on this, and/or, if we get a C7Z, know whether it will come out as part of the 2014 MY roll-out, or we will have to wait a year until after the regular C7's start (as we had to with our C6Z's) -- thus making the C7 Z06 have a 2015 MY start?
elegant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Re: Will There Be A C7 Z06? Do We KNOW?

No, nobody outside of GM knows the answer to that question at this time. If they do offer a C7 Z06 model, it likely won't be for at least a year (or more) after the initial C7 launch. As far as we know, 2014 will be the first model year of the C7, but that's still just speculation at this point and subject to change.

Think about it...why would they release a high performance version of the C7 at the same time as the coupe (base model). It would make no sense from a business/sales point of view. They want to maximize sales and keep up consumer interest for years after the initial launch. They have a formula for releasing new models at certain intervals and it has served them very well in the past.

So yeah, I think we will eventually see a C7 Z06. GM would be foolish to NOT make a C7 Z06. I'm betting they will - but just not right away.

Last edited by vant; 10-04-2011 at 02:34 PM.
vant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vant View Post
No, nobody outside of GM knows the answer to that question at this time. If they do offer a C7 Z06 model, it likely won't be for at least a year (or more) after the initial C7 launch. As far as we know, 2014 will be the first model year of the C7, but that's still just speculation at this point and subject to change.

Think about it...why would they release a high performance version of the C7 at the same time as the coupe (base model). It would make no sense from a business/sales point of view. They want to maximize sales and keep up consumer interest for years after the initial launch. They have a formula for releasing new models at certain intervals and it has served them very well in the past.

So yeah, I think we will eventually see a C7 Z06. GM would be foolish to NOT make a C7 Z06. I'm betting they will - but just not right away.
The 7.0 505 will not be back. Count on it.
dcsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

I was visiting with Ed Wellborn a couple of weeks ago while he was visiting here in W. Texas. He told a group of us that the C7 Z06 would follow the C7 launch about 6 months later. He said the car was stunning. I followed up with a question about the LS7 and he would not comment. Which led me to believe their would be a new Z06 and probably not an LS7 in the mix.

I also questioned him about the ZR1 and he would not comment on it either.

I spent about 9 hours with Ed and Jim Hall. I think he was shooting us straight.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsteg View Post
I agree...427 motor, will be gone foreever...
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant View Post
Yes, I would sure love it if there will be a C7 Z06. If there is and if it looks good, I will trade in my 06Z. But what do we actually know as to whether there will be such a model? Love it if someone can cite actual-in-the-know GM or other sources that there will be a C7 Z06.

Anyone have any info on this, and/or, if we get a C7Z, know whether it will come out as part of the 2014 MY roll-out, or we will have to wait a year until after the regular C7's start (as we had to with our C6Z's) -- thus making the C7 Z06 have a 2015 MY start?
About a year after the base C7 comes on line a C7 Z06 will be offered. then followed by the ZR1
Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:
About a year after the base C7 comes on line a C7 Z06 will be offered. then followed by the ZR1
Source?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Source?
I will not divulge the source on a national forum. This is a sticky business and GM is trying to keep the lid on leaks. I did buy a new Z06 because that engine will not be offered again. I like big inch engines and a 5.5 is not to my liking. To each his own.

New C7 first out... base coupe with LS3. Later on a V6 will be the engine for base model. Convertible will then follow in base configuration. Then in order: Grand Sport coupe and convertible all with 5.5 liter engine and then Z06. All will be offered within the first year give or take. The ZR1 will be the last in the pecking order. I am not sure when or how that will play out. Wasn't interested anyway.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:
I will not divulge the source on a national forum. This is a sticky business and GM is trying to keep the lid on leaks.
Okie dokie.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I agree...427 motor, will be gone foreever...
Quote:
I did buy a new Z06 because that engine will not be offered again.
Why will the 427 be gone forever?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Okie dokie.

Why will the 427 be gone forever?
Car makers are backing strict new rules for gas mileage.

That's why GM will be introducing a V6 into the base model. Just a preview of things to come. There has to be some big changes in store for power train offerings for the Corvette. Probably sooner then you think.

The standards announced four years ago run through 2016, requiring a corporate average of 36 miles per gallon by then.

Then a 5 percent annual increase in fuel economy for cars from 2017 to 2025.

Over all, the new standards will require a 54.5 miles per gallon corporate average for 2025.

That's corporate average but you can bet the Corvette will be a big player helping them achieve that standard.

I suppose you will still be able to buy a 427 crate engine over the counter. For how long...I don't know.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Z06 Member

So basically the 427 is as good as it gets we can agree
MR.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Z06 Master

You guys are kinda depressing. Responses in red.

Quote:
Car makers are backing strict new rules for gas mileage.

That's why GM will be introducing a V6 into the base model. Just a preview of things to come. There has to be some big changes in store for power train offerings for the Corvette. Probably sooner then you think.

I seriously doubt the C7 will have a V6. It makes no sense what-so-ever. How do nasty rumors like this get started anyway?

The standards announced four years ago run through 2016, requiring a corporate average of 36 miles per gallon by then.

That's the average of all vehicles sold. The LS7 is probably about 1/100th of a single percentage of total sales. In other words, it's a fart in the wind...no, a hurricane... insignificant. There are many corporate strategies to offset poor MPG's in a low volume car such as the C6Z.

Besides, the LS7 can be improved. It's not necessary to throw the baby out with the bath water. New technologies are now available to increase engine efficiency, such as direct injection. MPG would certainly increase. Remember, they've hardly changed the LS7 since inception.

Then a 5 percent annual increase in fuel economy for cars from 2017 to 2025.

Over all, the new standards will require a 54.5 miles per gallon corporate average for 2025.

The C7 is supposed to be a stop-gap generation. Production run will not stretch all the way to 2025. That's "C8" territory. If those are the new standards then we'll jump off that bridge when we get to it. Why worry about it right now?

That's corporate average but you can bet the Corvette will be a big player helping them achieve that standard.

The Corvette is a high performance sports car, not an economy car. What sense does it make to position the Corvette as the corporate MPG leader? Besides, most people don't buy sports cars for their fuel efficiency. At most it's just a fringe benefit.

I suppose you will still be able to buy a 427 crate engine over the counter. For how long...I don't know.
You're all acting like the LS7 is the last of the humpback whales or something and once they're gone....they're gone forever. Engines don't reproduce like mammals. I honestly think some of you WANT the 427 to be gone forever so you can feel like you own something rare and special and you were a genius for snatching it up when you did.

Bottom line, the LS7 is just a bored out LS short block V8 that's hardly been updated since inception. Bringing back the 427 in 2006 was one of the best MARKETING moves GM made for the C6. Sure, it might go away for a while, but they'll build it again in a heartbeat if they think they can make a buck. Trust me.

Another thing - remember that the NEW 2013 Viper has an 8-liter engine. They don't seem to be too worried about it hurting their corporate average fuel ratings. What's up with that?
Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Z06 Tech Advisor

Premium Member

There will be no Z06 for 1st couple of years of C7 or C7 dies in 2016
There is never a Z model in first years of new gen Corvettes

Those saying no V6 turbo need to wake up as GM has released the new 3.6 L V6 duel turbo for the 2014 CTS which then will be used as a option to the base LS5 for C7.

You cannot have Corvette, Camaro, Caddie, etc that have high performance lower MPG and expect Corp fuel mileage have a bubble for them as they no longer have 3 other nameplates like Olds, Pontiac or Saturn to help gas the averages up

As long as the feds own about 30% or GM you will see GM going "greener" and there is no love for the Corvette nameplate in GM Corp at this time

2016 = 36 MPG BUT every year beyond that has to get to 2025 54 MPG and that is not with the weight and engine size of existing C6 or even 5.5L direct injection LS5
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

I just wanna see the new c7, the engines don't mean squat unless the new body style rocks!!!
zedosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
You guys are kinda depressing. Responses in red.

You're all acting like the LS7 is the last of the humpback whales or something and once they're gone....they're gone forever. Engines don't reproduce like mammals. I honestly think some of you WANT the 427 to be gone forever so you can feel like you own something rare and special and you were a genius for snatching it up when you did.

Bottom line, the LS7 is just a bored out LS short block V8 that's hardly been updated since inception. Bringing back the 427 in 2006 was one of the best MARKETING moves GM made for the C6. Sure, it might go away for a while, but they'll build it again in a heartbeat if they think they can make a buck. Trust me.

Another thing - remember that the NEW 2013 Viper has an 8-liter engine. They don't seem to be too worried about it hurting their corporate average fuel ratings. What's up with that?
2013 Viper a very limited production vehicle. Wouldn't make a pimple on an elephants ass in the numbers game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C7 Z06 Specific Topics > C7 Z06 - Grandstand