Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Z06 Binding or Rubbing Problems

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Wes Burmark 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 Z06/Z07 3LZ Convertible, purchased Sept. 5, 2016. It has 3200 miles. I do have the original Pilot Sport Cup 2, with no abnormal wear (again on 3200 miles).

A short time, about a month after I started driving, when temperatures started cooling down, (I live in Northern California), especially when it is cold (car and ambient temp), Backing up and pulling forward at slow speed, with wheels turned ¾ to full either left or right. The car feels as though something is binding or rubbing very hard. But, when it (the car and temps are warmed up) this occurs very little to never. This condition occurs no matter what driving position I am in, Touring, Sport or Track. With traction control engaged or not.

The best analogy that I can come up with is, I have a 2005 Jeep Rubicon, and with the front and rear lockers engaged, in 4WD Low, and making a turn at slow speed, you will feel the vehicles drive line bind, jump and lurch. My Vette feels like this backing out of the garage and pulling into the drive way.

I do know why this is happening with the Jeep, but my Vette ?

I originally thought that this was the front tires rubbing on the inside of the fender well, but with my hand I can feel a little gap all the way around both front tires with wheels turned ¾ to full, and rear tires also.

I am now concerned that this might be a problem with the traction control system, or the differential. I believe the traction control system is working as it should. And I can tell through just feel when it is engaged or not, with a simple twitch of my foot.

I am now to the point that this bothers me enough, to bring it back to the dealer. I have been looking at different postings forums for a few weeks now, and I have not come across anything even close to my problem.

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't bother to take it to your dealer if you read the owners manual it will let you know that the scrubbing noise you hear is normal. Even though I don't have a C7 my C6 does the same thing and it is always worse as the weather gets cooler. Just think about the short wheelbase of the Vette and the slip angle of the tires and you will realize something has to "give" somewhere. You can't have a car that can produce 1.1g's is a turn and not have some scrubbing noise. Hope you have fun with your car.

Reactions: jub jub
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.