Corvette Z06 Forum banner

The aftermath!

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jub jub 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought my 2001 Z06 on the 5th of this month and was all excited about the deal I thought I was going to make. A good friend of mine, who is heavily into cars, came with me to make sure that all would go well. When I get to the car lot the owner is pulling the car in for my inspection. My first clue about what shape the car was in appeared when he backed it up by the curb. I heard the distinct sound of gear-grinding, but only for a couple of seconds so I thought, maybe he didn't have it in gear all the way. We've all done that before so I thought nothing of it. I open the hood and everything seems to be in order, except for one thing. The week prior I had spoken to him about why I couldn't pick my car up earlier, he said that the headlight assembly kit had to be installed first! I said ok and that was it. When I checked out the pop-up lights they made a loud, 6 second vibrating sound, the right one after opening and the other one after closing. My friend and I checked for new parts, none to be found! When I made the test drive all was fine, so I was happy. The last thing that we noticed was the two front tires were pointing the wrong direction! Apparently the arrow should point away from me not towards me! Anyway, now my car is in the shop being fixed at my extended warrenty's expense and I will be picking it up today! Despite the few problems with the car, I still think I got a good deal and I learned not to trust a smiling dealer who isn't up front with his customers. :skep:

See less See more
#5 ·
It covered the trans but not the light motors because they were not broken, just malfunctioning! The wheels were easy to swap. I still don't understand why he told me the car was in the shop when clearly it wasn't! If it was they just sat on it for a week.

#6 ·
make sure its a real z06 and not a clone
zteve06
blk 02 z06

#7 ·
I bought a new rear hatch for my z from a fellow on line. I asked why he was selling it and he stated it was off of a friend's car and he just put a carbon fiber hatch with lexan for racing purposes. When I get to his house to pick it up, he has a black Grand Sport in the garage with the rear hatch missing! (Flag #1). There is a black hatch up against the garage wall (Flag #2). I ask him why his hatch is off and he says he's putting a roll cage in and it's easier with the hatch removed. (Flag #3) I noticed there is tint on the hatch that I'm buying and the windows in his car are down. (Flag #4). I inspect the hatch real good and I don't notice any flaws. I give him $300.00 dollars and we shake hands and I'm off.

Fast forward a week later, I get ready to remove my hatch and this little voice tells me to inspect the hatch that I bought a little closer. When I do, I discover a deformity in the glass. There is a big divot near the top that is noticable when viewed at the right angle and in the right light.

Moral of the story, if you see flags and it doesn't feel quite right, go with your gut instinct. It is better to be safe than sorry. Now I'm curious what karma has in store for him. He was quite young so I'm sure he hasn't learned his lesson yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.