Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Automatic Cylinder dropping

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  robert63 
#1 ·
Hello Guys I am in need of some advise concerning the automatic dropping of cylinders to increase fuel mileage? I have never owned a car that utilized this feature and my first thought is to disable it so that all cylinders are firing all the time. I did not buy my Z06 for the fuel mileage, so that is not a concern to me. I have found a couple different options that plug in to the diag. port on the car and disable this and they claim that it effects nothing else in any way, OK that is good but is it true? Who has experience with these devices and what are your recommendations concerning this?
Thanks I look forward to hearing from folks with experience in this subject!
Thanks
Karl

#2 ·
Diablo Sport. No muss, no fuss! Will give you a tune, gain some HP and lose the cylinder dropping. Kind of pricey though.

Another idea is find a tuner in your area. He might be able to do it for less than a Diablo.

Google is you friend here. Look around.

#3 ·
Doesn't the tune also void your factory warranty on the powertrain and anything else that they may be able to attribute to the tune?

#5 ·
guys thanks for your thoughts on this topic, I dont want to void to many warranties right away anyway! There is a product in the vendor section here and they claim that all you do is plug their device into the diagnostic port and ALL it does is remove the cylinder dropping so its running on all 8 all the time, they also claim it voids NO warranty issues? Do you think this is true? I also dont want to screw up some future planned upgrades and have to start over on stuff because I planned poorly? I am looking hard at some Hennessy upgrades to the car, they have a 750 hp kit, any thoughts on that?
Karl

#7 ·
That AFM defeater is flawed in that it plugs into the OBD port under the dash and does NOT power down when car is off so it not only drains the battery but also causes other controllers to wake up
You may find that OBD cable is in the way of your leg

As to warranty that is a BS marketing hype, what they are saying is if the engine blows up, first yank their controller out so dealer does not know it was being used and simply blame failure on GM.

I would not buy a condom from Hennessy and surely any work like that will void GM warranty and may have smog testing issues.

If wanting the mods then man up to not trying to make GM warranty claims and the AFM can be turned off in the tune.

AFM is not saving much in gas use, has long term failure issues and costs down the road to repair will be costly so just save all that buy turning it off in tune.

Since LTx engines uses direct fuel injection that means no fuel spraying onto valves and with 4 cylinders being turned off there is a lot more carbon buildup so if AFM is being used I suggest more often carbon cleanups being done.

#6 ·
I'm not sure why you want to get rid of something that really has no impact on performance. It does not deactivate cylinders when you are driving spiritedly.

...and after several members' experience with Hennessy, I wouldn't hire him/them to tune my lawnmower.

Reactions: jub jub
#8 ·
Mike thanks for your thoughts on my questions and after I read your comments on Hennessey and my OMG! moment it made sense because they wanted me to have my car shipped directly to them they would to the work for 15K and I would fly down and get it and drive it home, good grief would I have been pissed off over that potential mess! not to mention the whole ruined experience of getting a new Z06! THANKS! I will be getting hold of JR at TeamZR1 and see what they can do to help me with what I am looking for. Again Mike thanks very much for sharing your knowledge on this subject and your experience concerning the NOW UNNAMED tuner!
Sincerely
Karl

#13 ·
I tried the Eco mode ("E" on the dial) for the first time. You have to be on the level as the slightest hill will send the car back into V8 mode. As with a few others above I see ZERO reason to mess with disabling this feature. It only works when you switch the dial to "E." Most of the time I drive the car in "T" touring for the soft sound and the softest suspension setting. Those of you who like the "S" Sport sound can still dial it in in Touring mode. So many cool choices! MIKEMNH - no cylinder dropping in Tour Mode only Eco mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.