Poll: NCM "Motorplex" Park - Drag Strip or Road Course? - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > General > NCM and Bowling Green Plant News
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: NCM Motorplex - Drag Strip or Road Course?
Drag Strip 8 20.51%
Road Course 16 41.03%
Both or nothing 15 38.46%
Neither 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

NCM "Motorplex" - Road Course or Drag Strip?

Hey guys. I just got back from the NCM C5/C6 Bash.

I attended a seminar about the Motorplex Park that is being planned by the NCM. Here is the link:

NCM Motorplex

The seminar was led by Wendell Strode and Wil Cooksey, and was set up to get as much input as possible to help with the planning process.

One of the main questions they asked the members was what was more important, building a drag strip or a road course. So let's help them out. Chime in with your opinion, and any other suggestions you want to make.

Last edited by DennyM; 04-27-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Coordinated - Removed link - only need to vote once
NVR2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Poll: NCM "Motorplex" Park - Drag Strip or Road Course?

Helping out NVR2L8 with a poll:

Quote:
"Hey guys. I just got back from the NCM C5/C6 Bash.

I attended a seminar about the Motorplex Park that is being planned by the NCM. Here is the link:

NCM Motorplex

The seminar was led by Wendell Strode and Wil Cooksey, and was set up to get as much input as possible to help with the planning process.

One of the main questions they asked the members was what was more important, building a drag strip or a road course. So let's help them out. Chime in with your opinion, and any other suggestions you want to make.

Last edited by mdickie; 04-28-2009 at 05:11 AM.
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Yuma, Az. ?????? Z06 Fest IV, V, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII & Winterfest 1,2,3 & 4
Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Poll: NCM "Motorplex" Park - Drag Strip or Road Course?

I voted road course first and then build a drag strip.

Sig by GR8 White (modified by Speedratchet)
2004 MS/BLK
Still retired out in the middle of nowhere.
YumaZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jim Lembo
Lifetime Premium Member

I voted both or nothing. They need to build the dragstrip first, as it will be the least expensive to do, then as funds become available they can expand it into a road course, using the dragstrip as the main straight. The local track here, (Pueblo Motorsports Park) is setup that way, and that 4000' straightaway that is the dragstrip is a major grin inducer in a Z06! :D 140mph is easy to do on that straight, and the turn at the end of it is VERY challenging, but once you got it figured out, it's major fun.
C'mon NCM,,,,don't pussy-foot around, get this DONE!

Jimbo
'03 EB/mod blue, LME/V-Max 416, AFR 225's, Comp Custom cam from Pete at V-Max, 3" custom exhaust and lots of attitude! 10.47@133.38 :D Z06 Fest member III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII and Winterfests 1, 2, 3 & 4. 543rwhp/493rwtq, all motor!
Jim Lembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to mdickie Send a message via MSN to mdickie
Lifetime Premium Member

I voted drag strip, for many of the same reasons that Jimbo posted. The dragstrip will also draw more business than a road course will, and that could help subsidize the building of the road course, helping that to happen faster. Also there is the new Bluegrass Motorsports Park just a coupleof hours away.

Every event the NCM does each year usually has drag racing as part of the event, only the Z06 Fest has an HPDE as part of the event, the NCM will get a much bigger bang for the buck putting the drag strip in first, and they get the added benefit of sticking it to Dallas down at Beech Bend...

Mark

Do not worry about the world ending today, it is already tomorrow in Australia...
mdickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

:idea: How about combining both? The straight away from the road course being part of the drag strip? Have a paved infield area for autocross.

panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer View Post
:idea: How about combining both? The straight away from the road course being part of the drag strip? Have a paved infield area for autocross.
Great idea Ed! 'Course we're talking the museum here.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Here are a couple strong statements AGAINST integrating the DragStrip and the Road Course:

Quote:
I'm telling you guys, and if you know the right person to explain this to. Please do or let me. It's not a good idea to have a all in one track. You will have stock c5's going straight into the wall during wet or damp AM conditions crap even in the dry it can be slick. I saw a Porsche a long time ago, in the middle of 4th gear, slip the tires and straight into the wall (the front tire was were the rear tire goes. Burn out boxes, traction compound, the type of tire, and all the paint for a drag strip all add up to problems. {EndQuote}

And {Quote} We have one of these at Firebird Main in Phoenix. I once spun the tires hard on the 3-4 shift in my 350rwhp Z06. I did it and got crooked just as I was door to door passing another car. I have not yet had a chance to run it in the rain, but I am not looking foward to it. {EndQuote}
Old 04-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Lifetime Premium Member

If set up properly, using a part of the main staightaway for a drag strip is smart and painless.

Heartland Race track in Topeka is setup this way, I have run HPDE's there and I have run on the drag strip. With proper maintenence, the VHT and excess rubber can be removed totally causing no excess slippage factor for the HPDE course.

Yes, the purists Denny quoted above would like to see total seperation of church and state and I understand their purpose (however it is likely that those same people quoted wouldn't even recognize that drag racing is a sport...I've seen the type).

If it is possible, I would like to see two seperate venues at the NCM for the strip and the road race course. HOWEVER, if space or money does not permit it, a 2-in-1 is a logical and practical method.

Mike
MikesZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to mdickie Send a message via MSN to mdickie
Lifetime Premium Member

The current diagram shown on the NCM site about the Motorplex shows two separate tracks, and a separate auto-x area.

If you think about it beyond the possible safety issues mentioned abouve, with separate tracks, you could actually run an HPDE and a drag event on the same day really giving the NCM complete flexibility in the scheduling of events.

Mark

Do not worry about the world ending today, it is already tomorrow in Australia...

Last edited by mdickie; 04-28-2009 at 07:38 AM.
mdickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Location: Phoenix, Arizona Winterfest I, II and III, Z06 Fest VII

All right, that settles it then. They build the drag strip first and use the revenue from that to help fund the road course.

Steve Black '04 Z06 - Mod Red int
modded Ls6 444 rwhp -- Toast!
2009 Ls3 427 487 rwhp POS boat anchor -- only a bad memory..
Now... new 2013 Ls3 block with 416 rotating assy ssembled and installed at Top Gear Motorsports in Tempe 512 rwhp 474 tq
UVETTYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah ... I just checked over at CF ... they separated church & state there ... put a poll in DR and one in AX & RR.
Since we have a place for NCM and Plant news ... we're purely secular ... :pp:
Not sure how "pure" the DR folks are there but their numbers are not large ...
DR say:
1/4 mile or nothing 7
1/4 mile ideal, but 1/8 mile would be OK 1
1/8 mile would be fine 1
No drag strip at all. 1

The RR nuts, on the other hand, are turning out in force ...
Drag Strip 2
Road Course 53
Both or nothing 9
Neither 1
Old 04-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lembo View Post
I voted both or nothing. They need to build the dragstrip first, as it will be the least expensive to do, then as funds become available they can expand it into a road course, using the dragstrip as the main straight. The local track here, (Pueblo Motorsports Park) is setup that way, and that 4000' straightaway that is the dragstrip is a major grin inducer in a Z06! :D 140mph is easy to do on that straight, and the turn at the end of it is VERY challenging, but once you got it figured out, it's major fun.
C'mon NCM,,,,don't pussy-foot around, get this DONE!

Jimbo
I voted likewise.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer View Post
Having raced on several tracks that do this, I'd say its a bad idea. The drag strip is always way too slippery, especially in the wet, for road course use and will result in many a banged up Vette over the years.

I too voted for the both option as most of the tracks I visit seem to get more use out of their drag strip than their road course, but having both, especially if they can dual event, provides greater opportunity for use and sustained profitability.
Subdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ06 View Post
If set up properly, using a part of the main staightaway for a drag strip is smart and painless.

Heartland Race track in Topeka is setup this way...
Mike,
When was the last time you were at Hearland Park? The road course was separated from the drag strip a few years ago before they brought the SCCA Runoffs there for the reasons mentioned above.
Subdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > General > NCM and Bowling Green Plant News