Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Brake pads for least brake dust?

9K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  hub_cap 
#1 ·
What brand brake pads produce the least amount of brake dust? I'm tired of cleaning my wheels every week. My 2012 has 13K miles on the factory pads. They are probably still good but I'm willing to replace them anyway if I can be assured of another brand that will produces less dust.

Here are some brands: Callahan, Hawk, Carbotech, Duralast, Powerstop, KFP, Napa. I don't race so don't need a race type pad just one that produces the least amount of dust without breaking the bank.

Any links would be helpful too. Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Almost any quality ceramic brake pad (i.e. GM Durastop Ceramic Pads, Hawk Ceramics etc.) will reduce the amount of brake dust generated by the stock metallic pads. Stopping distance will be reduced a little bit compared to stock pads until warmed up.

#3 ·
:yeadog: What Tom said!
As long as you don't plan on tracking the car this is the way to go.

#4 ·
Thanks! Looks like Ceramic is the key. I just checked mine and they appear to be less than 1/2 worn out. Don't understand why GM would put on pads that create this much dust. But I suppose they hold good so safety was their concern.

Nah, no plans to track my car.

#5 · (Edited)
You won't be disappointed with ceramic.

I was tired of the dust too and had concerns with going with ceramic due to possible squeaking. They haven't made a sound and dust has been cut way down. :yeadog:

The AC Delco ceramic pads I bought in the winter of 2012 for my C5Z are still at 80% front / 95% back after a 6 or so low speed auto-x sessions and an all day high speed training course. I will admit they were a little mushy after the high speed session but firmed back up after things cooled down.

2MchFun is correct, not recommended for track use but I drive like an old man. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.