Corvette = No Respect - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Grandstand
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Corvette = No Respect

Maybe it's just me but it seems as though corvettes in general get very little respect from the global audience as a whole which seems to be apparent here (nationally) as well. Why is this?
I quite often read magazines, hear conversations, & watch tv shows compare a new or updated sports car to the likes of Ferrari, lamborghini & porsche with no mention of corvette at all. I was surprised to read in one of my magazines that the lambo murcielago has a detachable roof that when installed must be kept below a certain speed or....well let's just say bad things will result. The car also does not come with any type of traction control system. WTF, that kind of power with no type of traction assist.
Oh & the roof, it also doesn't have a very finished look when it's off either. Don't get me wrong because I've always loved Lambo's from before I could ever drive but it really seems to be more about image & monster hp than a truly refined supercar.
Ferrari...well who can take anything away from them as they are a truly superior supercar & should be compared to the most elite. They are in my opinion the complete package.
Porsches also deserve a lot of respect & should also be placed among the elite of todays supercars.
So where does corvette fit into all this. As far as I can tell corvette has this going for it:
1. Dominance in racing ( to the point that there competition has left)
2. History
3. Loyalty from it's current owners
4. Styling cues that keeps it's history in mind
5. Hp that keeps going up
6.Things that a refined supercar should have: computerized handling, & traction systems, HP
7. Pursuit of being lightweight. can you say balsa wood (C6 Zo6)
8. Price, keeping it low enough that you could be a blue collar worker & still afford one.
My guess as to why corvettes can't get respect because:
1. Price, if it's that cheap how can it be as good as a ferrari, lambo or porsche
2.Gm makes it, don't they make minivans & trucks to?
3. It's american
I will say that corvette does seem to be gaining ground as far as respect is concerned especially with the c6 zo6 & future release of the bluedevil but it sure does seem to be a little overdue in my opinion.
My only regret is that I did not get one sooner.
These are just my opinions as I have never driven let alone owned a ferrari, lambo or porsche (see #8 above) but from all of what I've taken in I'm wondering what a corvette has to do to become part of that persona.
Feel free to add to my lists.
Just my .02 worth.
Chad

Old 08-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Location: Houston, Z06 Fest Non-Attendee I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X :(
Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Corvette = No Respect

I never cared then... and with enough power to dispatch of a CGT or LP640 and give an Enzo a run for its money I don't care now either

MTI/Katech/Englandgreen CamZilla LS7 Z07, Kooks, Fast Intake, Stock Ti SAE 570rwhp & 530ft-lb N/A @ Englandgreen, Houston
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

It's all to do with price range and snob factor. Anything cheap can't be that good, right? So the theory goes. There is also a bit of an anti-american thing going on in europe right now. I hear it from my fellow Brits all the time. At the end of the day, who cares? Not me

Saying that though, I do love Ferraris and Porsches etc.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Sadly it's the pecking order and it's not just Euro snobs it spans the entire spectrum. How many Corvette owners turn their noses up at "lesser" cars? Quite a few. Go ahead- start a thread touting how great the new Honda Civic Mugen Si sedan is... I dare you.

That's why it's refreshing to come across an automobile enthusiast vs. a make/model enthusiast. I can find something to like and/or respect in just about any vehicle of any make and model. So the Yugo was a total disaster but they tried...

It's what you think in the end that matters the most.
bigbadbevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

No one needs an invitation to buy a new Corvette, all you need is financing. You can't say that about all the "supercars". The most exclusive are produced in limited numbers and sold only to invited buyers. This has something to do with press coverage comparing everything else to the standard "supercar". JMHO

'04 Z16 Celebrating victory at the track!
Z06 Fest participant V,VI,IX
Z16#670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Z06 Member

At the risk of offending other owners it is my opinion that GM didn't do Corvettes or their owners any favors over the years.

I owned them continuously since 1965, and when I bought my 1990 (new) the gear shift still buzzed and rattled just like every Corvette I owned before then, the rear hatch was always creaking and squeaking, the windshield wipers wouldn't stay on the windshield without chattering over 65 MPH, and within a year or two the seat bolsters on my allegedly leather seats had worn through from the seat belt. In short the car was a POS when compared to other cars in the same price range.

I think they got it right now, but it will take time to reverse the image for most people.
Rauchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

I spent 10 years in Germany between '64 and '85.
Corvette then = :jawdrop: reaction from the locals ... power, exclusivity, price ... "attitude".
Does that seem similar to how European cars are regarded here today? :idea:

^VIR Turn 6 '10^-MungoZ06-'03 QS/ModRed - NCCC, NASA NCM Member - Z06 Fest IV,V,VI,VII
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

The automotive press (with a few exceptions) have always favored anything from Europe (especially Germany and Italy).
In some respects the shortcomings Rauchy points out have left a negative impression on many people, who will never change their minds. I still get people who say to me "it passes everything but a gas station" right? I get the "deer in the headlights" look when I tell them it gets better gas mileage than their SUV.

As far as:
"7. Pursuit of being lightweight. can you say balsa wood (C6 Zo6)"
should read:
7a. Pursuit of being lightweight. can you say balsa wood (C5)
all C5s use a balsa wood sandwich for the floorboard
7b. Pursuit of being lightweight. can you say aluminum frame, carbon fiber body panels, and magnesium engine cradle(C6 Zo6)
Old 08-13-2007, 07:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Pretty much, all the above is true. Especially the fact that until the C5 came out, Vettes were the biggest pieces of junk on the market-and I've driven/owned Vettes for 50 years! The Corvette will never be accepted for the great car it was, and is now, especially, by the so called Elite. Many of us can afford other cars but stick with the Vette because of what it represents. Let's enjoy them and the h*** with others. We have a great fraternity. :ity:
Old 08-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Z06 Master

I never understood that whole thing about respecting any car..

I don't ask for respect...I don't care if I get it or not..

As long as people keep their hands off the car I don't care..

the magazines? they have to go on and on about the value of complexity and other nonsense that makes young tech heads swoon..

I remember being a kid in the 60's and that was what we were brought up to believe...

After years of being an import fanatic...I drove a vette and it was all over...

The whole wonder of DOHC techno babble was over..

Simplicity and efficiency as well a sh!tload of hp and torque, lightweight, big brakes and tires and great handling are what sports cars are about..

All the rest is techno babble bullsh!t.. that the magazines need to write about to get those kids or people who don't actually drive the cars to dream about...

You can't blame the public for the false perceptions the magazines write about...as thats all they have to learn from...

and the magazines have to delve into the mystique and long involved intricate nonsense to keep readers attention..

Some magazines tell it like it is and then add in some bullsh!t about the interior or feel....isn't up to the vaunted...whatever brand..

Although the new C6 Z51 with its revised steering rack and 436 hp for 40 odd grand has gotten rave reviews from the media...so maybe now GM's corvette gets the "respect" your talking about......

I don't know why but stroking the dashpanel and "feeling" the material is an important part of sports car ownership to many..

Not but me but for many its a big deal so GM offered up the option for those who want it.

I wouldn't order the 8 grand 4lt option for the interior upgrade but thats just me....

I would take the c6 Z51 with the NPP exhaust though!

How many actually buy the Corvette is the only respect" GM cares about!

What is it? 30 thousand examples of corvettes per year?

What other "supercar capable of four second zero 60 mph runs or 190 mph top speed can claim those kinds of sales?

FWIW I have some friends over at BMW N/A headquarters and you should see those people look in Awe and rave about the Corvette..(Not the people who buy BMW's but rather the people who are in charge of BMW)

You want to talk about respect.. ? Don't kid yourself...and don't listen to the magazines..

The corvette is a marvel of engineering and at it gets a ton of respect world wide...

I'd imagine hearing what the ferrari factory guys say behind closed doors would be similiar to the BMW story above..
Old 08-13-2007, 07:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

[QUOTE=sandmanszo6;1187380]Maybe it's just me but it seems as though corvettes in general get very little respect from the global audience <snip>QUOTE]

When I was growing up in the fifties, sixties and seventies, Corvettes weren't even considered sports cars.

Perhaps it's because it took until the C5 for GM to get it right?

Now that I'm (still) growing up in the new millennium, perhaps we will start seeing that worldwide respect.

Oh hell, screw the rest of the world and the automotive press. We know we have the best bang for the buck made right here in the good old U.S.A.

Eric, 2004 RED Z06

Last edited by Daytona-Flyer; 08-13-2007 at 08:02 AM.
Daytona-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Funny, on one hand I agree with your observation, Chad. It seems that Corvettes have not always recieved the respect they deserve, while other sports cars seem to get a free pass by the world media and public at large.

However, my personal experience has been the exact opposite. I've gotten nothing but compliments and positive comments from people, mostly strangers, on my Corvette. I even got one yesterday while at a Quiznos for lunch.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

My feelings...don't worry about it. Who cares? I drive these things for my enjoyment. Just feel grateful that YOU know what you have.
2006 C6 Z06 MS, Ebony #5,889
Top Cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vant View Post
Funny, on one hand I agree with your observation, Chad. It seems that Corvettes have not always recieved the respect they deserve, while other sports cars seem to get a free pass by the world media and public at large.

However, my personal experience has been the exact opposite. I've gotten nothing but compliments and positive comments from people, mostly strangers, on my Corvette. I even got one yesterday while at a Quiznos for lunch.

ITs true... the corvette when I'm driving around gets thumbs up from all kinds of people..

At the stores? AT the health club I go to...? The parks I take my kid at?

Everybody digs the car...

Even the guys at the porsche driving school event I went to...

At first I could see they were apprehensive..but once they got to know me and see the car run...they were digging the car...

I think I sold a few corvettes that day...

I believe if you treat others with respect thats all that needs to be done to recieve it....(obviously not a magazine writer but rather in the real world)

I d say the corvette in the real world is a star. (not a celebrity like a ferrari/lamborghini/viper which are much rarer) Most of those guys don't take em out if their are clouds in the sky..

I get a ton of thumbs up when I'm using the vette in the rain too!

People are always saying...Cool your using the car!

I'm definitely from the old school of use it or lose it...

and thats part of the vettes charm too..

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking...

Beautiful to look at, inexpensive to run.. and runs faster then the euro brands as well.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cog View Post
My feelings...don't worry about it. Who cares? I drive these things for my enjoyment. Just feel grateful that YOU know what you have.
Ditto...well said. I totally agree. I could care less what the guy next to me at a stoplight thinks about my ride. I've had a passion for Corvettes since I was 14yrs old (I'll be 55 this month) and always knew some day I would own one.

I still believe for the money, the Vette can't be beat for overall performance and fun factor. This is my third Vette and the best one I've owned yet.

Rob G.

Thanks MTI
449.8RWHP/432.0RWTQ@MTI
NCM # 26755
RobGrnfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Grandstand