First time lift and oil change - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Grandstand
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 05:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

First time lift and oil change

I've been planning all last week for my first oil & filter change on the Z. The oil change itself was no big deal, but lifting the car on jackstands was the big challenge for me. Took some pics, but I imagine that this is pretty elemental stuff for most of you.

Here she is up on the jackstands:

Below are pics of my setup.

Driving up on the ramps took some getting used to. I cut a 45 degree bevel at the ramp threshold to make the transition easier. Bonus: This project forced me to set up the table saw my father-in-law passed on to me!

To top it off, weather was beautiful. I took it for a joyride then gave it a wash. All in all, a great day in Zealot06's garage.
Zealot06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member
Re: First time lift and oil change

Good job!
Yeah, I remember my Z's first oil change - it took longer to get the car lifted than it did to actually change the oil I have since streamlined my procedure
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MchFun View Post
Good job!
Yeah, I remember my Z's first oil change - it took longer to get the car lifted than it did to actually change the oil I have since streamlined my procedure
Thanks! Yes, the next oil change will hopefully go faster. Interestingly, my filter had a little oil seeping from it--turns out that it was only barely hand-tight. I thought it would be difficult to remove, but it wasn't. Fortunately I have a filter wrench that would have done the trick.

I've got to put her up on the ramps and jackstands again soon to change the rear sway bar bushings and rear hubs. You can see the condition of my sway bar bushings in one of the photos. Grabbed both rear wheels yesterday and I could definitely feel some play. Hoo-boy! Fun times ahead!

Last edited by Zealot06; 01-20-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Lifetime Premium Member

You might want to get a set of jacking pucks. They let you get the jacks out of the way so you can roll around freely under the front and back.
(AKA Jon) 2002 EB Z06, LTPWS, K&N, CLB, T1 bars, Pfadt spherical bearings, DRM stainless brake pistons/brake ducts/trans and diff coolers, Phoenix spindle adapters, Ron Davis radiator/EOC, Carbotech pads, Goodridge brake lines, Stainless Speedbleeders, Elite Engineering Heel-Toe pedal/oil catch can/radiator screen, TurnOne PS pump, Optima red top, C6 Z06 Shifter, Corbeau A4s, BK Harness bar and belt mounts, Simpson 5 pt harnesses, CAGS eliminator. Everything is a DIY project to me.
XFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Nice blocks. Looks like you got it all in hand. Sure wish there is an easier way of lifting our cars.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Yep! That's how it's done! looking good. A bit of a PITA but that's life w/ a low car! Then I bought a 4 post lift and life is good....except for the neighbors that give me 10 minutes notice they want to change their oil no matter what I may be doing!!!
seamus2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PerforminNorman Send a message via Yahoo to PerforminNorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus2154 View Post
Yep! That's how it's done! looking good. A bit of a PITA but that's life w/ a low car! Then I bought a 4 post lift and life is good....except for the neighbors that give me 10 minutes notice they want to change their oil no matter what I may be doing!!!
I told my neighbor that any time he wanted to use my lift to change his oil, all he had to do was bring me a 5 quart jug of Mobile one.

Last edited by PerforminNorman; 01-24-2013 at 08:03 AM.
PerforminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFordGuy View Post
You might want to get a set of jacking pucks. They let you get the jacks out of the way so you can roll around freely under the front and back.
Not sure I follow you--do you mean that I would place my jackstands under the lift pucks instead of the way I did it for my initial lift? Do you have, or can you post a link to, a picture of the setup you're talking about?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PerforminNorman Send a message via Yahoo to PerforminNorman

Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Thanks PerfNorm! I know what pucks are--I was just wondering if they would be used with jack stands at the mount locations for the pucks, instead of the setup I used.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealot06 View Post
Thanks PerfNorm! I know what pucks are--I was just wondering if they would be used with jack stands at the mount locations for the pucks, instead of the setup I used.
Nope the setup you used is the best way. If you wanted to jack up on one side use the pucks at those locations to prevent slipping off of damaging your rockers. I have jacked up one side of the car w/ two jacks and pucks to get jackstands in there and then repeat on the other side so not to twist the car. But driving up on your ramps is best.
seamus2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

I still raise the car by the cradle, but for me, the jacking puck locations are the best place to place jack stands. It gets them well out of the way of the power train so I can roll from one end of the car to the other. If you are doing a job that requires removal of a spring, or a cradle, you can't live without them.

I found this old pic in the gallery. I wouldn't use a metal puck with this jackstand, but these work great.
(AKA Jon) 2002 EB Z06, LTPWS, K&N, CLB, T1 bars, Pfadt spherical bearings, DRM stainless brake pistons/brake ducts/trans and diff coolers, Phoenix spindle adapters, Ron Davis radiator/EOC, Carbotech pads, Goodridge brake lines, Stainless Speedbleeders, Elite Engineering Heel-Toe pedal/oil catch can/radiator screen, TurnOne PS pump, Optima red top, C6 Z06 Shifter, Corbeau A4s, BK Harness bar and belt mounts, Simpson 5 pt harnesses, CAGS eliminator. Everything is a DIY project to me.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Jon, your photo skills suck. Sorry!
itsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaz View Post
Jon, your photo skills suck. Sorry!
It's a horrible picture, Tom, but it's all I could find. Amazingly, my car is on the ground at the moment. I'll have it back in the air this weekend to prep for the next event.

The concept to me is still the same. All the stuff I need to work on is in the center of the car. Getting the jack stands out on the frame rails allows easy access. The soft pucks deform into the jacks stands and make an incredibly stable interface.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Couldn't resist the opportunity to jerk your chain. I'll make it up to you by buying you a beer at the next Fest!
itsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Grandstand