Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Ignition Rattle Causing Mental Instability, Help!

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  YumaZ06 
#1 ·
I don't post here often.. Usually I find what I'm looking for in a post from 10 years ago and call it a day. But I'm having an issue I cannot for the life of me figure out.

My 04 Z06 has a very irritating rattle coming from the ignition. I can't stand driving the car anymore unless the windows are down, the wind noise helps cover it up. Video can be viewed . In the video you can see I have the dash off and the plastic bezel around the key hole off. Rattle still persists. I've soaked it in WD-40 and sprayed on as much silicone lubricant as it would take. Still no success. The only thing that fixes the rattle is if I pull the key while it's in the cylinder. The entire mechanism moves outwards slightly and the rattle stops completely. Unfortunately I'm not coordinated enough to do this and drive at the same time. At least not for long periods.

Has anyone had this issue before? Any suggestions on next steps? The only thing I can think is left is replacing the entire ignition lock mechanism which seems crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.