Inside floor soaking wet!!! - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Grandstand
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Inside floor soaking wet!!!

So I recently took a road trip to my in-laws and unfortunately had to park my Z outside...father-in-laws 2009 SL 65AMG took up the garage :/ It just so happened to thunderstorm that night. I woke up the next day to find both my driver side and passenger side floors soaked! Both windows were up and weatherstripping is perfect. Weird thing is my old 02' Z had same thing happen. I ran a water hose over car to try and find leak but no luck...I'm scratching my head on this one. Can these cars just not handle thunderstorms??
TexasZo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Inside floor soaking wet!!!

You don't state what year car you have but I assume it's a C5. It's possible that the drains to the cowl area are plugged with leaves and crap. Look in front of the firewall for a rubber teat that has a flat bottom and give it a squeeze to make sure it's clear and flowing.
itsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Some cars also had a problem with the seal between the glass and the frame. This would be underneath the black rubber weatherstrip.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry for the late response, been flying a lot for work. Its a 2003 Z with 45K on it. Simple mods, intake, exhaust and predator tune. Its been rained on before and no problem. I had an 02' Z and this was a constant problem. I had all the weather stripping replaced and still my passenger side would flood. I am worried that my 03' is facing same problem. I looked at the rubber teats and driver side was clear. I couldnt really get to the passenger one, it looks to be behind battery. I was able to grab the top part of it and it seemed empty...
TexasZo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

I had several leak issues w/ my c5z's. As Tom said on the drivers side under where the washer motors is you can get your hand under there in the corner there are 3 udders that get clogged w/ leaves and then the cowl fills with water and gets in. Squeeze them and there is a slit in the bottom of all of them stick your fingers in there to clear them and run a hose up top to clean out.
The second and second most common is there in insufficient urethane between the windshield and body. It is hidden by the trim and the windshield actually has to come out. GM has known this issue and there was a TSB I believe . On my 12th visit to a 5th dealership chasing my leak which came down the A pillar and onto my floor from the top of the windshield I was told be a tech " hey I just went to a corvette class at GM and I am certain from what they told us you have a gap under that trim". They reluctantly pulled my windshield and the tech told me there was 1/4 inch gap up at the top and he could see the water stain and how it went down the a pillar. New urethane and leak fixed.
My third leak different C5Z was driver side plastic trim up windshield and over door. Look to see if water is getting down your door jam and then onto floor. There is the plastic, the trim, and then the weather strip fits into that. That has to be sealed to the body or water gets behind it and runs down and in.

Thats all I have for ya, so get to work!! PITA. C6Z no leaks either one of them!!!
seamus2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Grandstand