Just got Z-16....Now fuel gauge problems.... - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Grandstand
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just got Z-16....Now fuel gauge problems....

Today, I finally got my Z-06 Commemorative Edition with only 4000 miles!!!
It is flawless, but I noticed that that the gas gauge did not seem accurate, it showed 2/5 tank of gas, yet the gas computer said range of 33 miles....I put $40 worth of gas in it, and it said range of 56 miles....I kept hitting reset, the numbers would not change, then a few minutes later, it changed by itself to what seemed like a resonable 213 miles.
I dont know if it is the sending unit, because the gauge seemed to work right, just not the range meter.
I took it to 2 different Chevy dealers for advice, one looked up history, and said that no recalls were performed for a gas tank leak recall, and if they did that service, I could pay for the price of the sending units at the same time, and maybe it would cover the problem.
This is a 12 hour labor service....I dont want my new car torn apart to get to the sending units if if could be something else....So far I dont smell gas, per advice of the recall to be effective.
I know this is probably an old topic, but Im a newbie. I did a search on this site, and I could only find someone recommending Techron which I dont know what that is, and if it will solve my problem....Any ideas?

Last edited by 6spd; 12-19-2012 at 09:41 PM.
6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Just got Z-16....Now fuel gauge problems....

The car is fine and doing what it's supposed to. Range is an estimate of how far you can go based on the fuel in the tank and RECENT MPG. If the car has been idleing a lot or driven slowly in traffic, then Average MPG and Range will suffer. 213 mile range with a full tank indicates an average MPG of somewhere around 12 MPG which is typical of city driving.

Get it out on the highway, set the cruise at 70 or so and see what your range is after about 50 miles. Betcha you will think you are making gas.

BTW, you cannot reset the range function on the DIC and I won't believe you have a Z-16 unless you post pics.
itsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Z06 Master

yes please post pics, love the lemans blue
proexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Send a message via ICQ to BigJimZ16 Send a message via AIM to BigJimZ16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
Today, I finally got my Z-06 Commemorative Edition with only 4000 miles!!!
It is flawless, but I noticed that that the gas gauge did not seem accurate, it showed 2/5 tank of gas, yet the gas computer said range of 33 miles....I put $40 worth of gas in it, and it said range of 56 miles....I kept hitting reset, the numbers would not change, then a few minutes later, it changed by itself to what seemed like a resonable 213 miles.
I dont know if it is the sending unit, because the gauge seemed to work right, just not the range meter.
I took it to 2 different Chevy dealers for advice, one looked up history, and said that no recalls were performed for a gas tank leak recall, and if they did that service, I could pay for the price of the sending units at the same time, and maybe it would cover the problem.
This is a 12 hour labor service....I dont want my new car torn apart to get to the sending units if if could be something else....So far I dont smell gas, per advice of the recall to be effective.
I know this is probably an old topic, but Im a newbie. I did a search on this site, and I could only find someone recommending Techron which I dont know what that is, and if it will solve my problem....Any ideas?
Definately use some Techron, it will clean the sulpher deposits off of the sending unit. Only 4000 miles on an 8 year old car... it's been sitting still alot...
Congradulations on the Z16!! I certainly love mine!!
Z06/Z16 #1689 of 2025

Last edited by BigJimZ16; 12-20-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Can't spell worth a spit...
BigJimZ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Location: Yuma, Az. ?????? Z06 Fest IV, V, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII & Winterfest 1,2,3 & 4
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
I could only find someone recommending Techron which I dont know what that is, and if it will solve my problem....Any ideas?

Welcome to

Techron is a gas additive found in Chevron gas, but you can buy it at any major auto parts store (autozone, o'reillys etc). It helps remove the varnish that can accumulate on the gas sending unit in the tank. Put some in the tank at next fill-up and see if that helps the gas gauge problem (may take a couple of tankfuls to work).

Sig by GR8 White (modified by Speedratchet)
2004 MS/BLK
Still retired out in the middle of nowhere.
YumaZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

I'd burn that old fuel and run a couple of fresh tanks through it with the
techron also.
Congrats on the rig. If I was not so "practical" I would adopt an older brother for my C6Z to hang out in the garage with. Can't put my finger on it, but for some reason just really dig the C5Z.

02 EB Z gone , VY 08 gone , lonely garage currently.
Who is John Galt ?
scotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Today I'll go buy a can of Techron, and see if that works....Im still confused on why when I put a full tank of gas in the car, the range only said 56 miles....I've had cars before that reset the range the minute I put gas in them......Hitting the reset button does nothing....I drove in traffic for about 10 of 15 minutes before the range changed to 215....
Anyway thanks for the advice....
(PS) How do I load pictures on the site?
6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Welcome to the site and congrats on finding a garage queen. Somebody saved it for you.
Another vote for Techron. I get it at Costco in a six-pack. They often run sales on it so I stock up when they do. About twice a year I put a bottle in each of my cars.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Quote:
Today I'll go buy a can of Techron, and see if that works....Im still confused on why when I put a full tank of gas in the car, the range only said 56 miles....I've had cars before that reset the range the minute I put gas in them......Hitting the reset button does nothing....I drove in traffic for about 10 of 15 minutes before the range changed to 215....
Don't Worry About It and, in general, check in here before having any work done by a dealer. Many if not most dealers do not have your best interests in mind! Enjoy your new to you car!
fcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Location: Yuma, Az. ?????? Z06 Fest IV, V, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII & Winterfest 1,2,3 & 4
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
(PS) How do I load pictures on the site?
Use a service like photo bucket (free) and post the img file in your reply.

Sig by GR8 White (modified by Speedratchet)
2004 MS/BLK
Still retired out in the middle of nowhere.
YumaZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Another vote for Techron. I use it in all my vehicles.
Don Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by proexpert View Post
yes please post pics, love the lemans blue
While you're waiting for the op to figure out how to post, here's mine...& her younger 1/2 sister
Attached Thumbnails
Just got Z-16....Now fuel gauge problems....-c11.jpg   Just got Z-16....Now fuel gauge problems....-c111.jpg  
JETBLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Another vote for Techron. I get it at Costco in a six-pack... ANOTHER VOTE!
I add a bottle with every oil change and use only Chevron gas. Before I understood about the sulfur deposits my Vette went to the shop several times under warrantee. Corvettes don't like cheap gas!
Wes Burmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

C6 Z06 Fuel gauge problems....

If this problem is still bothering anyone, please post again.

August 2013 - My C6 Z06 gas gauge suddenly went to empty, even when full. Having read all the discussion, I decided to go to my local Chev dealer, since they've been excellent (and inexpensive). The bottom line is that there is a service bulletin from 2008 telling them to reset the ECM. And that fixed the problem. If people are telling you they need to replace things before resetting the ECM, then shame on them. Let me know if anyone needs the bulletin number.
rshelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood

For the C5 this is not an ECM issue, it's deposits on the fuel gauge sending unit which can usually cleaned with techron. When it doesn't clear up the tank has to be dropped.
Blue Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Grandstand