Corvette Z06 Forum banner

New owner=good news/couple of questions=bad news?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  NYCHASM 
#1 ·
After many years of various F-bodies and a couple of 5.0 mustangs, I'm happy to say(understatement), that there is a blk/blk 02 Zo6 sitting in my garage! I've wanted a C5 coupe or vert for a long time time, but after doing a lot of reading on this site, all of you convinced me to take a Z for a test drive. Well, you know what the result was! After a week of debate, I made a pretty good deal on a "slightly" used 02 Zo6. This was with a dealership/salesman with whom I've given a lot of business to over the years and who've been good to me.
Now the potentially bad news....I drove the car home with 510 miles on it. As I'm not the 1st owner, I don't know for sure how the car was broken in. It's in exc condition except for one thing. There have been a couple of times, when shifting from 1st to 2nd, that I've done a little grinding. As I let go of the shifter and take my foot off the clutch, the shifter slides back into neutral and it's grinding until I get my foot back on the clutch. I'll pull it back into 2nd with a little more effort and then it's fine. As long as I'm paying attention and applying more effort when going into 2nd, there is no problem. It's never "just"popped out of 2nd, or any other gear. I had this problem with my 94 TA after installing a Hurst. After re-adjusting the stops, it was okay. So, I'm hoping that when I get the Hurst in that I recently ordered, that this will solve the problem.
I welcome any advise/opinions
Bob
ps......the difference a 'few' years can make.....hard to believe the Z is related to my Dad's 77!
;)

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you SURE that you are not attempting to override the 1-4 CAGS? You shouldn't require any extra effort to shift between gears except when you are trying to force second gear when the computer is telling you fourth.

Charlie

#3 ·
Nope, not trying to override. This is my third car with w/6spd and CAGs and this is completely different. I'll have it in 2nd, but it will slip back out. There is no resistance from the shifter....except as you mentioned, when CAGs steps in. I usually give enough throttle to bypass it, or re-route it up to 3rd, when that happens.

#5 ·
WrlyBrd said:
Nope, not trying to override. This is my third car with w/6spd and CAGs and this is completely different. I'll have it in 2nd, but it will slip back out. There is no resistance from the shifter....except as you mentioned, when CAGs steps in. I usually give enough throttle to bypass it, or re-route it up to 3rd, when that happens.
OK - this tells me you are aware of CAGS, however, when CAGS steps in you can't shift into second OR THIRD so how are you able to "re-route it up to 3rd"?

Since you know about CAGS and that's not the problem, I suspect Frank has the correct approach...get it to a dealer and have the problem diagnosed by a good Corvette tech. If there is no such animal as a "good Corvette tech" in your area. my second choice would be to seek out c4c5 and see whathe has to say.

Charlie

#8 ·
NYCHASM said:

OK - this tells me you are aware of CAGS, however, when CAGS steps in you can't shift into second OR THIRD so how are you able to "re-route it up to 3rd"?

Charlie
??????? I've gone into 3rd everytime CAGS steps in. Never been a problem from day 1. It slips right in. Never had any tranny probs.

#9 · (Edited)
2KFRC5
Don, thanks for the backup on the Cags! I've rerouted to 3rd with both my 99 and 94 TAs. Thanks to everyone else who responded also.
Well, the Hurst has been installed, and, I must add, (concerning the stock shifter)what a wonderful little piece of metal that was in the shift knob! Don't remember having the pleasure on my earlier cars.
It's still acting up. Was hoping the aftermarket shifter would do the trick. You know, try anything before the dealer. Now, I suppose I should yank the Hurst out/stock back in, before taking it in? The dealer who I purchased it from is 2hrs away. The 2 local dealers are the ones that worry me.

#10 ·
2KFRC5 said:

??????? I've gone into 3rd everytime CAGS steps in. Never been a problem from day 1. It slips right in. Never had any tranny probs.
I hate to belabor the point, as this was not the question originally posted by Wrlybrd but, you guys must be just plain "lucky" that you can shift into third when the "1 to 4 shift" light is on.

I'm sure I don't have to quote you the warning in the manual that says not to try to shift into second or third when the light comes on. I've tried the 1 to 3 shift with the light lit and I'm sorry to say my shifter works just like the book says it's supposed to, ie, no second or third when the computer says fourth.

Kudos to the CAGS eliminator innovator :guiness:

Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.