Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Ridiculous question, Are yellow Z06's worth less than other colors?

20K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  weevil 
#1 ·
Ok, back story. Ive been an Evo/DSMer since 99' and done basically anything to a car you can think of. Im a mechatronix engineer for microsoft in portland and a self proclaimed suspension snob.

Im looking for a C5 z06 for a daily driver and see far more yellow's than any other color. Not sure I could live with a yellow car or not, but a good deal on a car came up and Im starting to wonder. The GF says yellow is ok in a sports car, how am I to argue? :cheers:

I've been wanting a corvette for years so this will be my trial to see if its the direction I move in getting away from my rally car background.

#4 ·
That's because everyone knows yellow is one of the slower colors (silver being the fastest, of course). :D

#5 · (Edited)
Ha ha ha they only sing about "little RED Corvettes"
To OP, you gotta Really like yellow to want to look at it everyday.

#9 ·
Yellow is the hot color that everybody wants when a car is new and faster than anything else. Its not so great to have a look-at-me color when your car is old hat, however, just look at my corvette-a-day calender photo from yesterday. the caption says its Jay Leno's
zteve06
blk 02 z06
austin, tx

Attachments

#13 ·
When I owned my Sky, it was chilli pepper red. I saw a bunch in that color. There was one yellow Sky in the area that I thought was gorgeous.

I haven't seen any ML Vettes in my neck of the woods, so it would appear that I have a non-standard color for where I live. I'm happy with mine and, by the way, it's GORGEOUS:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

#14 ·
Think of all the cars that don't look good in yellow - Buicks, minivans, sport-utes, you know, boring cars. Boring cars are metallic gray, pale, washed out blues and greens, silver, white.....colours that suit them.
Scary-fast cars, like the ZO6, should be in exciting colours, and yellow is the best of the best.
Yeah people notice my car a lot, even the politzei, but it's a good way to get noticed. Better than wearing your pants at your knees, or your hat sideways.

#16 ·
If it was a Ferrari and it was yellow do you think anyone would say squat. :i_agree: Personally I think yellow on a high performance sports car is awesome but the cops call it Yum Yum Yellow for a reason. :cry:

Black is stealthy. :sneaky:

Once you go black, you'll never go back. :yeadog:

#19 ·
Own a Velocity Yellow 08' C6Z. Have recieved so many compliments on my Z. The compliments go something like this; "Hate yellow cars, but that is a beautiful yellow corvette." "That Yellow SNAPS!" "What is that yellow color called? It's beautiful!" I do numerous car shows and when I walk away with a 1st place trophy all I here from the other competitors is that I won because I have a yellow Corvette!!! VY is a hot color and does draw plenty attention from the police! I'm a Chicago Police Detective, and professional courtesy has saved my butt on numerous occasions!!! Speeding Ticket Yellow is how coppers describe my VY C6Z!! Bottom line, any color Z is badass! Enjoy the rush!!!

#21 ·
That's interesting as my yellow '04 was purchased new in Chicago by a police officer. He sold the car to a Canuck on the west coast, and I bought the car from him.
And two months after I bought the car I got pulled over in a traffic stop for no reason - I got rousted just so they could get my name and address - and then with many apologies the officer let me go....
Coppers like yellow!

#22 ·
Over the years I have noticed an Interesting feature of MY...Namely The Color & The Car take on so many different looks in different light conditions... More so than any other color I have observed ... After Nassau Blue I love the yellows ... Cyber Gray for stealth MY or VY for loud & fast :bump:

#23 ·
Sorry guys, was just watching CNN and the President says there will be no more yellow sports cars produced and any who are still on the road after June 1 will be towed to a junkyard and their owners summarily shot.

It is believed that the yellow sports car is too flashy and sets their owners apart from the normal people (the huddling masses, etc) and in this new America it is important that no one should have or be thought to have more or be different from others.

What can I say, maybe paint it pink :eek2:

Mike

ps, tomorrow the President will announce his new policy on clothes. Most political pundants are expecting his new decree will call for everyone to wear the same clothes everyday. Many think he is opting for bib overalls and t-shirts but it's too early to tell. Stay tuned tomorrow for his announcement

#27 ·
I own a 2003 MY Z06 and love it. Ordered the Z06 while working for a Chevy dealership. Ordered for stock and decided to buy it when the Bowling Green transport truck rolled in on my Birthday.. MY was the hardest color to get, Chevrolet limited the number built. I have owned mine for almost 10 years and still love it. I get nothing but compliments and praise..... Franklin Mint offered a 2003 Z06 with a 50th Aniversary logo. A limited edition diecast model. They only offered the model in MY.....One last thing...MY is the only Tri-Coat paint used on the C5 Z06. The extra coat of paint needed to make the color work; really pay's off. I have noticed that Corvettes painted in MY seem to hold up real well. Chevrolet charged $750 more for MY, it was considered a "constrant" option. Our dealership was only allocated two MY Z06's in 2003 Model Year, the 2001 MY Z06's were selling for up to $10,000 more than the other colors, just because it was rare and hard to get color.....If you like it, buy it, if not, go with the color you love the most. My second choice is Electron Blue, another great and unique color.

#32 ·
Years ago, Cadillac dealers used to say a used Cadillac in yellow was worth 1k less. I always felt that's because yellow clashes with blue hair preferred by well off senior ladies. I wanted red, not only because they look great, but because it's a bright color for track days. Found an original mint yellow z06 an older gent had, with 13,700 original miles and bought it. (Thinking I could live with the color) Now, I love the yellow, and it's a bit unusual. There are enough guys who like it for resale, and it's hard to think that a Corvette in it's official race color, which costs extra, could be worth less, especially as great as it looks!

#34 ·
You will notice my 08 427 Cooksey car only came in one color so I didn't have an option when I bought it. I love it but certainly is more on the lines of "classy" rather than ulra sporty or performance hot colors. I also have an 09 SRT Challenger in Hemi-Orange which at first I thought I made a mistake and was too bright, especially for an older guy like me (54). But, 6-years later I love the color and have no regrets. I guess you need to just buy what you feel makes you the happiest. For me I have never bought a color or particular car for what others might think of me but rather based on what made me happy. Good luck!

#37 ·
Despite owning a MY I would say it is worth "less" only in the sense that there is less demand for them. MY might cost more from the factory, but I don't see any significant increase or decrease in resale prices vs another color. There might be less potential buyers for a MY Vette, but I don't think it sells for any less due to the color, it will just take longer to sell.

Most owners want the more "traditional / neutral" colors (black, grey/silver, red, etc.) so they are more in demand. If our local club gets a couple dozen cars togther for a ride, we are lucky to have more than one that is a "bright" color. Fortunately I bought mine based on what I wanted, not what the next owner might prefer. And when the day comes to buy a used C7Z, I'm going to be shopping for the same color again.

Ryan J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.