Corvette Z06 Forum banner

What Should I Try Next? (P1415)

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Covious 
#1 ·
I've done numerous searches on the issue of the p1415 code, the driver side air injection system. and apart from replacing the check valve, I haven't seen any fixes to address the issue.

I bought the car in California, and proceeded to drive it 720ish miles to Utah in a day. I made a few stops, but it was trouble-free. I drove it to work and back for a few days, and about 20 minutes into my drive home , I got the CEL , which I checked , and it was the P1415 code. I looked it up and found the fix, had the valve changed, and life was good. about 2-3 days of daily driving (~50mi) later, it popped up again, so i just reset it , and another 2-3 days later, has popped up again.

I checked the hoses, didn't see any obvious cracks or holes. I pulled off the metal hose from valve to manifold and it was clear, and I tested the valve, and it operates as intended.

The path I've been going down gives me some possible reasons:
-Driver side 02
-Flash metal on the manifold causing some impedence to air flow (The car does have Dougs shorty headers on it)
-Battery (only 1 yr old, but Powertron brand?)

Any input on other things that might be the case would be great, I just dont want to throw parts at it blindly.

See less See more
#2 ·
Review below closely

Code is for AIR checkvalve on drivers side

Easy check, look at the AIR hose that goes into the aircleaner housing as no blocking, that is the input side of the AIR pump located below left head light
Take the output hose of the pump off where it goes to the input side of left AIR checkvalve area
ONLY when water temps are below 120 deg with that hose off start engine and check that the pump is in fact blowing air out that hose.
If not bad pump or something with hose/air path

On cold start the PCM commands the AIR pump on for 2 minutes and uses all 4 O2 sensors, if one of them is weak or faulty would trip the AIR error codes
Also any type of exhaust leaks of a faulty CAT can cause problems for the AIR tests

Again only do tests on the first 2 minutes of cold start.

DTC P1415 or P1416
Circuit Description
A secondary air injection (AIR) pump is used on this vehicle to lower tail pipe emissions on start-up. The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies a ground to the AIR pump relay, which energizes the AIR pump and the AIR solenoid valve. Engine vacuum is applied to the AIR shut-off valve when the AIR solenoid is energized. The engine vacuum opens the AIR shut-off valve which allows air to flow to the exhaust manifolds.
The PCM monitors the heated oxygen sensor (H02S) voltages to diagnose the AIR system.
During the AIR test, the PCM activates the AIR pump during Closed Loop operation. When the AIR system is activated, the PCM monitors the H02S voltages and short term fuel trim values for both banks of the engine. If the AIR system is operating properly, the H02S voltages should go low and the short term fuel trim should go high.
If the PCM determines that the H02S voltages for both banks did not respond as expected during the tests, the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0410 sets. If only one sensor responded, the PCM sets either a DTC P1415 or P1416 to indicate on which bank the AIR system is inoperative.
Conditions for Running the DTC
� DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0111, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0131, P0132, P0133, P0134, P0135, P0137, P0138, P0140, P0141, P0151, P0152, P0153, P0154, P0155, P0157, P0158, P0161, P0170, P0171, P0172, P0173, P0174, P0175, P0200, P0300, P0335, P0336, P0351, P0352, P0353, P0354, P0355, P0356, P0357, P0358, P0440, P0442, P0446, P0506, P0507, P1133, P1134, or P1258 are not set.
� The startup engine coolant temperature (ECT) is less than 70�C (158�F).
� The engine run time is more than 2 seconds.
� The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor is more than 75 kPa.
� The engine load is less than 40 percent.
� The engine air flow is less than 20 grams per second.
� Engine speed is more than 900 RPM.
� The vehicle speed is more than 15 km/h (25 mph).
� The ignition voltage is more than 11.7 volts.
� The air fuel ratio is 13.125:1.
� The ECT is between 70-110�C (158-230�F).
� The intake air temperature (IAT) is more than 2-100�C (36-212�F).
� The fuel system is not operating in power enrichment or deceleration fuel cut-off (DFCO).
� The short term fuel trim is in cells 5 or 6.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
� The H02S voltage does not go below 222 mV for 1.2 seconds or more.
� Short term fuel trim does not go above a predetermined amount.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
� The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
� The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
� The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
� A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
� A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
� Use a scan tool in order to clear the MIL and the DTC.
Diagnostic Aids
Important: Remove any debris from the PCM connector surfaces before servicing the PCM. Inspect the PCM connector gaskets when diagnosing or replacing the PCM. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent water intrusion into the PCM.
� Casting flash in the exhaust manifold may restrict the amount of air flow necessary to affect the H02S voltage. If you suspect this, remove the air pipe from the manifold and inspect the passage.
� Using the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data may aid in locating an intermittent condition. If you cannot duplicate the DTC, the information included in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data can help determine how many miles since the DTC set. The Fail Counter and Pass Counter can also help determine how many ignition cycles the diagnostic reported a pass and/or a fail. Operate the vehicle within the same Freeze Frame conditions such as RPM, load, vehicle speed, temperature etc. that you observed. This will isolate when the DTC failed.

#3 ·
Review below closely

Code is for AIR checkvalve on drivers side

Easy check, look at the AIR hose that goes into the aircleaner housing as no blocking, that is the input side of the AIR pump located below left head light
Take the output hose of the pump off where it goes to the input side of left AIR checkvalve area
ONLY when water temps are below 120 deg with that hose off start engine and check that the pump is in fact blowing air out that hose.
If not bad pump or something with hose/air path

On cold start the PCM commands the AIR pump on for 2 minutes and uses all 4 O2 sensors, if one of them is weak or faulty would trip the AIR error codes
Also any type of exhaust leaks of a faulty CAT can cause problems for the AIR tests

Again only do tests on the first 2 minutes of cold start.
Thanks for the info, I went ahead and checked the inlet and outlet hoses for blockages, and made sure i felt air coming out of the hose that feeds the driver side air injection, and it worked just fine. After a few ignition cycles, the MIL turned off, so I am going to keep a watch on that. I also ordered an upstream o2 sensor for the driver side since it is inexpensive, and I'll try that if/when the MIL turns back on. If I'm not getting codes for a faulty o2 sensor, how do I know when it needs replaced? I don't know when or if it has been replaced in the past, as the car has 51k miles.

#4 ·
A rule of thumb is that O2 sensors should be replaced every 30-40K due to the high heat and also because of the Ethanol in gas

When the PCM does the AIR tests on cold starts it compares the front O2 with it's rear partner O2 so the 02s could be at the margin where error codes for them are not tripping
but degraded enough to fail AIR tests.

Any exhaust leaks, the heater of 02s or if having headers and placement of O2 sensors not getting hot enough for proper AIR tests being done

Due to age of car maybe just best to turn off the AIR error codes from tripping within a PCM tune.

#5 ·
okay, cool, thanks, I've driven it a few more days , but haven't had the MIL pop up again. I'm looking into what other mods I wish to pursue,probably just longtube headers with an xpipe, and I'll keep in mind to have the error codes turned off when I get the car tuned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.