Brake Cooling Ducts Epic Fail
I tried to install the LG Spindle Ducts and the DRM Extensions yesterday. I have been putting this off for aquit some time just because i knew it was going to be a PITA. Well as my son would say, "dad that's a total fail".
I started by using a hand jack to get one side if the car up so I could fit the arms of the lift under the jack points. This in it's self is a PITA.
I started by removing the OE cooling ducts. Not too difficult. I had to bend them a bit and pull fairly hard but they came out. Next I proceeded to measure to cut the OE ducts. That went fine as well.
Now keep in mind I'm retired Air Force so I have access to the Auto Hobby Shop on base. They have a full implement of tools and a mechanic that works there just incase you get stuck on something. As i said before I had the car on a lift which helps tremendously. Maybe I shouldn't have told you all that, because now you are all going to really think me a big wussy. Anyway, I digress.
Now I move to the DRM extensions. They actually fit with the OE ducts and I figured out how to get them to fit in the car correctly. Now for the Spindle Ducts.
First, I was having a hard time visualizing how they went in. So I pulled a pic up on my iPhone. Thank god for Apple, I love Steve Jobs. Ok, I understand now, but here's the scary thing. I have to undo the ball joint that is attached to the lower control arm. That is a really big nut, not to mention I could really mess up the ball jont. Even the mechanic on duty said "I wouldn't do that for fear of ripping the rubber joint". I agreed as discretion is the better part of valor and that's as far as I got.
Luckily the DRM Ducts are still in new condition as well as the Spindle Ducts so they are getting shipped back to the folks and DRM and LG.
Not so lucky are my OE ducts that I just cut. Of course they don't fit any more because I just hacked the crap out of them. Fortunately my friendly mechanic was able to find, yep you guessed it, some duct tape. I was able to tape the OE ducts back together and fit them back into the wheel well. Oh, by the way, I didn't tell you that I also cut a nice opening in the OE stock opening so I could get the DRM ducts to slide through. Great, now im going to have a OE duct that flops around making more noise in an already noisy car. I just so happened to have some liquid steel in my bag of tricks (tools). I basically recreated the original hole with the liquid steel and was able to get the ducts secure.
So, lets look at what I accomplish yesterday.
I jacked my car up by hand so I could fit hockey pucks under the car and on top of the lift arms to lift the car.
I cut my old, perfectally good, functioning ducts in half.
I made a perfectly good hole bigger.
Added weight to my car by adding liquid steel and finally the best part, put duct tape on my Z. My Z06 has officially become a red neck car.
There is a sliver lining to all of this. I checked my break pads and after 5 months of running on the street and two track days last year they still had plenty of meat on them. I must be as smooth as Jenson Button because I can get three track days and five months of street use out of Hawk HPS street pads. So who needs Spindle Cooling Ducts anyway.
Yea for me!
2002 Z06 Black on Black
Last edited by Jim Lembo; 03-19-2012 at 05:02 PM.