Brake Cooling Ducts Epic Fail - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Brake Cooling Ducts Epic Fail

Well,

I tried to install the LG Spindle Ducts and the DRM Extensions yesterday. I have been putting this off for aquit some time just because i knew it was going to be a PITA. Well as my son would say, "dad that's a total fail".

I started by using a hand jack to get one side if the car up so I could fit the arms of the lift under the jack points. This in it's self is a PITA.

I started by removing the OE cooling ducts. Not too difficult. I had to bend them a bit and pull fairly hard but they came out. Next I proceeded to measure to cut the OE ducts. That went fine as well.

Now keep in mind I'm retired Air Force so I have access to the Auto Hobby Shop on base. They have a full implement of tools and a mechanic that works there just incase you get stuck on something. As i said before I had the car on a lift which helps tremendously. Maybe I shouldn't have told you all that, because now you are all going to really think me a big wussy. Anyway, I digress.

Now I move to the DRM extensions. They actually fit with the OE ducts and I figured out how to get them to fit in the car correctly. Now for the Spindle Ducts.

First, I was having a hard time visualizing how they went in. So I pulled a pic up on my iPhone. Thank god for Apple, I love Steve Jobs. Ok, I understand now, but here's the scary thing. I have to undo the ball joint that is attached to the lower control arm. That is a really big nut, not to mention I could really mess up the ball jont. Even the mechanic on duty said "I wouldn't do that for fear of ripping the rubber joint". I agreed as discretion is the better part of valor and that's as far as I got.

Luckily the DRM Ducts are still in new condition as well as the Spindle Ducts so they are getting shipped back to the folks and DRM and LG.

Not so lucky are my OE ducts that I just cut. Of course they don't fit any more because I just hacked the crap out of them. Fortunately my friendly mechanic was able to find, yep you guessed it, some duct tape. I was able to tape the OE ducts back together and fit them back into the wheel well. Oh, by the way, I didn't tell you that I also cut a nice opening in the OE stock opening so I could get the DRM ducts to slide through. Great, now im going to have a OE duct that flops around making more noise in an already noisy car. I just so happened to have some liquid steel in my bag of tricks (tools). I basically recreated the original hole with the liquid steel and was able to get the ducts secure.

So, lets look at what I accomplish yesterday.

I jacked my car up by hand so I could fit hockey pucks under the car and on top of the lift arms to lift the car.
I cut my old, perfectally good, functioning ducts in half.
I made a perfectly good hole bigger.
Added weight to my car by adding liquid steel and finally the best part, put duct tape on my Z. My Z06 has officially become a red neck car.

There is a sliver lining to all of this. I checked my break pads and after 5 months of running on the street and two track days last year they still had plenty of meat on them. I must be as smooth as Jenson Button because I can get three track days and five months of street use out of Hawk HPS street pads. So who needs Spindle Cooling Ducts anyway.

Yea for me!

Last edited by Jim Lembo; 03-19-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Dperreault is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jim Lembo
Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Brake Cooling Ducts Epic Fail

Unless you track your car all the time, the DRM and LG stuff is not really necessary IMO. As long as you have good BRAKE pads and your rotors are in decent shape you should not have any problems. I just hope you get a full refund from the vendors that you purchased the parts from.

Jimbo
'03 EB/mod blue, LME/V-Max 416, AFR 225's, Comp Custom cam from Pete at V-Max, 3" custom exhaust and lots of attitude! 10.47@133.38 Z06 Fest member III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII and Winterfests 1, 2, 3 & 4. 543rwhp/493rwtq, all motor!
Jim Lembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Break Cooling Ducts Epic Fail

You might want to look into the spindle adapters in my sig. They only require that you tap an unused hole. You don't have to disassemble anything.
(AKA Jon) 2002 EB Z06, LTPWS, K&N, CLB, T1 bars, Pfadt spherical bearings, DRM stainless brake pistons/brake ducts/trans and diff coolers, Phoenix spindle adapters, Ron Davis radiator/EOC, Carbotech pads, Goodridge brake lines, Stainless Speedbleeders, Elite Engineering Heel-Toe pedal/oil catch can/radiator screen, TurnOne PS pump, Optima red top, C6 Z06 Shifter, Corbeau A4s, BK Harness bar and belt mounts, Simpson 5 pt harnesses, CAGS eliminator. Everything is a DIY project to me.
XFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFordGuy View Post
You might want to look into the spindle adapters in my sig. They only require that you tap an unused hole. You don't have to disassemble anything.
I appreciate the suggestion. I think I'm good. I'll just take it easy at the track and keep and eye on the rotors and pads.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dperreault View Post
I appreciate the suggestion. I think I'm good. I'll just take it easy at the track and keep and eye on the rotors and pads.
It sounds like you're taking it REALLY easy on the track. Do you have to turn on the hazard lights to drive that slow?

As long as you're having fun and learning, it's all good. I was at an event last year with a guy in a Ferrari F430. His experience level got him into the advanced run group, but his fear of hurting the car made him so slow that I was lapping him every 5 laps! He was not a happy guy when they moved him down to intermediate.

As you get faster, so will your BRAKE pad and rotor wear. It doesn't sound like you're there yet.
(AKA Jon) 2002 EB Z06, LTPWS, K&N, CLB, T1 bars, Pfadt spherical bearings, DRM stainless brake pistons/brake ducts/trans and diff coolers, Phoenix spindle adapters, Ron Davis radiator/EOC, Carbotech pads, Goodridge brake lines, Stainless Speedbleeders, Elite Engineering Heel-Toe pedal/oil catch can/radiator screen, TurnOne PS pump, Optima red top, C6 Z06 Shifter, Corbeau A4s, BK Harness bar and belt mounts, Simpson 5 pt harnesses, CAGS eliminator. Everything is a DIY project to me.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Quote:
It sounds like you're taking it REALLY easy on the track. Do you have to turn on the hazard lights to drive that slow?
HOLY SH*T! I am laughin my azz off! That is HILARIOUS!
01 QS/ModRed, Lingenfelter H/C, B&B 2-tip Bullet, Headers, hi-flow cats, x-pipe, Hurst, Vararam, DTE Stage II Diff with 3.90 gears, RSG Son of Transzilla transmission, DTE Diff Strut - 433RWHP/395RWTQ - and I DRIVE IT as MUCH AS POSSIBLE! 121K+ miles and increasing daily!
NavyPhrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Z06 Tech Advisor

Premium Member

Quote:

As you get faster, so will your BRAKE pad and rotor wear. It doesn't sound like you're there yet.
It also can be the difference in the driver style
I use less brakes, downshift more and have a longer life on rotors and pads.

Unless a car lives most of it's miles on the track those ducts are not needed.
Many race pads are designed to work better in hotter temps and so is the design of the stock rotors for the C6 Z06.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Umm. Hawk HPS. Did you catch that part Mike?

I'm just ribbing him. The first HPDE I ran in my Z06, I did 2 sessions in 4th gear until I knew the line. There I was in my shiny new car, wearing out my left arm pointing people by. We all started sometime.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

It's all good fellas,
I do take it easy at the track but I do pass some of our brothers in similar Z's, I do use a lot of down shifting and engine breaking. That's probably why my breaks are still good. Hell, im not out there on the track to set any records. Just like xfordguy said. It's all about having fun and learning. That's partly what my post is about. I was pretty much making fun of myself, if you can't laugh at yourself then you are taking life too seriously.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dperreault View Post
It's all good fellas,
I do take it easy at the track but I do pass some of our brothers in similar Z's, I do use a lot of down shifting and engine breaking. That's probably why my breaks are still good. Hell, im not out there on the track to set any records. Just like xfordguy said. It's all about having fun and learning. That's partly what my post is about. I was pretty much making fun of myself, if you can't laugh at yourself then you are taking life too seriously.
I had faith that you had the right attitude. :gjob:

I post more of my F-ups than my accomplishments here. No one else benefits from hearing about how things go according to plan.

I will throw out that you can downshift early, blah, blah, blah, but the bottom line is if you are comparing your times to the guy who is using max engine brake, max mechanical brake, and minimizing braking time, you have to do the same. I get grief for rushing downshifts, but I still drive like I have a sponsor paying for this stuff.

I do short shift at 6K though. I don't have that much faith in the stock valve train. I'm not crazy

And it's "brakes" not "breaks". Lembo and I both tried to be subtle

Last edited by XFordGuy; 03-19-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jim Lembo
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
I had faith that you had the right attitude. :gjob

Sometimes being subtle doesn't work. I'd much rather see Dperreault use engine braking than "break" his engine! I guess it's just the former teacher in me when it comes to spelling correctly. Like I always tell my wife, I'm an a-hole and proud of it,,,,after all, I've had 62 years of practice.

Jimbo
'03 EB/mod blue, LME/V-Max 416, AFR 225's, Comp Custom cam from Pete at V-Max, 3" custom exhaust and lots of attitude! 10.47@133.38 Z06 Fest member III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII and Winterfests 1, 2, 3 & 4. 543rwhp/493rwtq, all motor!
Jim Lembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Brake Cooling Ducts Epic Fail

You da man Jim

I refined my first track car at the auto hobby shop on the same USAF base I still work at 25 years later. This thread is pure nostalgia.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Well when you get to the end of a long straight and are looking at a tight corner you hope you have "brakes" and not "breaks"...

Ryan J
RJ-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road