car running too cool with new thermostat and fan controller - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2002, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

car running too cool with new thermostat and fan controller

I just finished installing the combo thermostat/fan controller package from xtreme motorsports and I have a problem with the car running in the 135-140 degree range. Its as if the thermostat is open all the time and never closes to allow the temp to reach a more normal 178-180. If the car is sitting still, the temp will eventually creep up to a temp where the fan kicks on, but on the highway the temp plummets to the 135-140 range. Do you guys think I have a bad thermostat or should I wait it out and see if this condition improves after a few more miles? Any tips or suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks. BTW this is a very nice setup with no splicing or wire cutting necessary.
Stephen Selden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2002, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Sounds like it's stuck open. Try tapping on it with the wood handle of a screew driver. Might not work but changeing is a pain if you don't have to. Ric
PowerShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Stephen, I have the same package from Extreme that you do, and mine does not run anywhere close to those temps. Try Powershifters solution and if it soesn't work, you may have a defective unit... I even have two bottles of Redline WaterWetter in my cooling system...
Old 02-23-2002, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, sounds like the thing is open to me and I drove it another thirty miles or so tonight with the same deal. It continues to run about 135-140 degrees when cruising at 55mph and will go up to normal range when idling until the fan kicks on at approx 172. I will call Nate and see what he says. I'll try banging on it with a wooden handle to see if it helps. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Now I have an engine malfunction code P128, P 174, P 178. ....only one of them I can find on the reference page. One of them that is close is "engine too much time in closed loop" which makes sense because the car continues to run at approximately 145 degrees when cruising and a lean code. I guess I need to get a new thermostat since none of the tapping on the housing has helped.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Sorry it diden't work. A good rap useualy does it. Ric
Old 02-24-2002, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

I have the same equipment and the same exact problem. Nate told me that the thermostat will be fine in the warmer weather. I'll probably switch back to the stock unit during the winter.
EBZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

EBZ06, It's not fine and shoulden't be acceptable. If the t/s was closeing it would hold the temp up. Ric
Old 02-24-2002, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Z06 Master

EBZ06

Sorry...that's a piss poor answer. If a themostat is working correctly it doesn't matter whether its winter or summer. The thermostat should ALWAYS maintain the coolant temp at it's setting no matter the outside temperature.

I think Xtreme needs to re-think that answer.

Charlie
NYCHASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

I need to get in touch with Nate and see what he will do especially since it made my car throw a malfunction code. I'll let you guys know the outcome and what he says.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Stephen & EBZ06: I've heard good things about Nate, but if a thermostat is working right, after the engine warms up it should NEVER fall more than a few degrees below the thermostat temp. Anything else you are told is

Tell them you have a defective one and to send you a new one. If that does not work get one that does work from someone else!

There is no need to be changing thermostats winter to summer. 135-140 is WAY TOO COLD!

The reason the temp comes up when sitting still is there is no air moving through the radiator so the temp will slowly climb till it gets hot enough to turn the fans on. The fans will cool it down till they turn off. Then the same thing will happen again.

Let us know if they make it right with you.:-?

Terry

2008 Z06 2LZ Victory Red/Ebony
Terry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 12:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
RG
Z06 Senior Member

Re: car running too cool with new thermostat and fan controller

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Selden
I just finished installing the combo thermostat/fan controller package from xtreme motorsports and I have a problem with the car running in the 135-140 degree range. Its as if the thermostat is open all the time and never closes to allow the temp to reach a more normal 178-180. If the car is sitting still, the temp will eventually creep up to a temp where the fan kicks on, but on the highway the temp plummets to the 135-140 range. Do you guys think I have a bad thermostat or should I wait it out and see if this condition improves after a few more miles? Any tips or suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks. BTW this is a very nice setup with no splicing or wire cutting necessary.
I think we carry the same kits made by the same group. I haven't had customers give feedback that their temps were running that low. In fact, the wholesle price just went up on that unit to us. I hope this isn't a trend of how low it runs. I am not aware of any changes to the product other than price change.

Let us know how it works out.

RG
RG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 01:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Z06 Power Adder Authority

Send a message via AIM to WA 2 FST
Re: Re: car running too cool with new thermostat and fan controller

Quote:
Originally posted by RG in Dallas

I think we carry the same kits made by the same group. I haven't had customers give feedback that their temps were running that low. In fact, the wholesle price just went up on that unit to us. I hope this isn't a trend of how low it runs. I am not aware of any changes to the product other than price change.

Let us know how it works out.

RG
RG, as you know I bought this unit from you and installed it several weeks ago. I think the T-stat is really a 160^ unit and not a 178^. The fan kicks on at 178^. I've verified this on the DIC and with the EASE scan software.

But when I'm moving around town in the air we've had lately...very pleasant, and today in Big D its downright COLD for this homegrown TX boy...the typical coolant temp is 160-165^.

The key, IMHO, is oil temp. This is fine...right where I want it. 170-175^ when cruising and it will creep up ~200-210^ when I'm on the gas for an extended period of enthusiastic driving. Engine oil temps come up pretty quick, too (over 100^ within 2-3 mins).

My heater works fine...something else that might be affected by engine coolant temps that only reach 135-140^.
'04 SVT Lightning...son's ride now, but I hold the note!
'08 Denali 6.2...wife's ride
"IF YOU CAN BEAT MY TRUCK, THEN YOU CAN RACE MY VETTE!"
WA 2 FST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 03:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

This is Nate's exact response:
Stephen, we do not recommend the Xtreme coolant kit for cool outside temperatures. The kit works perfect in summer time. We have run into this before but always with customers in cold weather. We have the cold weather issue plainly stated on our site. You can disconnect the harness, replace the thermostat with the stock one, or return the kit for a refund. The only other option is to send you the Vinci adjustable fan controller with a different thermostat. It seems to work fine for cold wether and you adjust at what temp you want the fans to turn on. The kit is more expensive though. Please let me know to help you out.

IMHO...the fan setting has nothing to do with the car running too cold. The thermostat must be stuck wide open because the only time it runs in the 135-140 range only during a 45mph and up cruise when the fan is useless. I understand that it will be better when it warms up, however these temperatures that I have seen are when air temperatures are in the 50 degree range. I'll call him and see what he says. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Z06 Senior Member

If it is stuck open (and if the car doesn't warm up past 135 degrees that is the only reasonable explanation). IMO you should squeeze the upper radiator hose when your first start it (cold) and you should not feel the water running through the hose - it shouldn't be until the block water reaches the temp. that the stat was designed to open (say 170 degrees in my case). Have someone moniter coolant temp. from inside the car while you "feel" the hose and tell them when you feel the water gurgling through - that is the temp. that the stat opened.

If the water comes through the upper hose at a temp. lower than the advertised value of the stat get a new one or get your money back. If the stat opens as designed at 170 degrees the car will warm to that temp just as quickly as it would if you have a factory stat in the car, it just won't go above that temp. as fast (depending on when your fans are set to come on and if you are moving, outside temp etc).

Sorry this is so long, hope it helps.

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road