Corvette Z06 Forum banner

DIY: Increase Your Seat's Upper Bolstering (Lateral Support)

76K views 70 replies 38 participants last post by  mr2MK1.5 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a simple modification that will increase the lateral support in the stock seat backs. Also, it's completely reversible. Thanks to meldog21 for telling me about this mod. :thumb:

By the way, I'm 6' - 180 lbs. If you are a heavy guy, you probably won't want to do this mod.

Step 1: Move the seat forward and unzip the back. Use a pair of pliers to guide the slider, as the zipper does not have a pull tab. Separate the plastic rails at the bottom. Once that is complete, unfold the seat cover side, exposing the support foam.
Edit: Pay close attention to how the plastic rails on either side of the zipper (at the bottom) are assembled. You will need to re-assemble these later.

Step 2: Tuck the outside flap inside the structural support.

Step 3: Fold the cover back over the lateral support and repeat for the other side. Before you zip up the seat, you'll need to re-assemble the two "rails" that fasten the lower edges of the seat cover together. This is a pain, but it just takes a little patience and some muscle (see posts 16 & 18).

Use a pair of pliers to guide the slider, as the zipper does not have a pull tab.

Attachments

See less See more
#15 ·
I don't think it will damage the leather. If I notice anything in the next several months, I'll let you know.

Is the center console cover off for this mod?
The center console cover was off, but it does not need to be to do this mod. I was doing work on the radio bezel at the same time.

#13 · (Edited)
Wow, that is the most amazing free mod I've seen since the ziptie. I have to try that when I get home!!!

Edit: When you say muscle is required - how hard is it to pull back together? I'm afraid I'll get it open and not be able to zip it back. (or maybe just paranoid about damaging the leather)

#16 ·
The bottom of the seat cover has plastic rails, two on either side of the zipper, that slide together. You'll notice this once you unzip the back and realize there's still something holding it down.

It took me about 5 minutes to wrestle the plastic rails back together. Keep in mind, I did this with the seat in place so it was awkward getting my arms back there. If you remove the seat from the car, it should be an easier task. (Well, except for the whole removing the seat part. :lol:)

I wish I could give you more info than that. If you get stuck, let me know.

#18 ·
No, I don't think you're missing out. The function of the rails is to hold the seat cover down, but it's still held pretty tight when zipped only. However, if you ever notice the leather cover cinching upward, you know what you have to do to fix it obviously.

For anyone who's wondering, the seats can be zipped up (or down, to be precise) without the rails being put back together. But if you're like me, it'll bug the hell out of you knowing it wasn't put back together the "right" way.

#19 · (Edited)
Ok I'm sold - I just tackled HID's this week.. you can see my drama on the other forum. How to aim headlight? search wasn't helpful - Corvette Forum

I'll let you guys know what I bump into since apparently I can screw up easy jobs. Thanks again for the replies!

Sigh. I have already hit a stumbling block on the first step. How do you get access to the zipper? I pulled the sit forward, leaned it all the way and it looks like the leather folds under the seat. Can I just pull it out to find the zipper?

#20 ·
Flip the lever on the upper part of the seat back to release it forward toward the steering wheel.....zipper will be lower center.

#21 ·
Yea I pressed it forward but since I had the seat moved up it was against the steering wheel. I'll go back and push the set back, and try that level again.

Thanks

#23 ·
Ok, I just finished the mod - absolutely amazing with one drawback - as you said, no one over 200 lbs will like this mod. I'm 5'10" 150 and its a little close but in a good way. This mod definitely reminds me of my S2000 seats for a total cost of ZERO!

Also, I didn't bother getting the rails back in. It was pain trying to get it back in one piece and I'll keep an eye on it in the meanwhile. The rail is pulled all the way back and as I sit it gets pushed in, not pulled out. :p

THANK YOU!

#27 ·
I think you will love it. The stock seats were crap.

#29 ·
I did the mod, and to be honest, it is tight in there now! It actually is a bit uncomfortable for DD. For track days, I think it would be a godsend. Street driving though it is just a bit tight. PS, the rails are EAY to reassemble, the attatch to the rail at the base of the seat back. Pull it throught the bottom of the seat, and you will easily be able to slide the rails back in.

#31 ·
Just a quick question. Are you doing this on both sides of the seat, left and right seat bolster or just the outside like in the pics?

#34 ·
I did this mod last night and it really is awesome. I must imply, as others have done, that if your much bigger than 200lbs its not gonna be very comfortable. Also, the plastic rails on the bottom of the seat are a bi%ch to put back together....

I recomment having the seat in the mid position (not all the way forward to the dash or all the way back) to have the best luck getting the plastic rails back together....

Thanks for another awesome tip guys....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.