Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Double Din in a C5

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  RocketSled 
#1 ·
I have a Pioneer AVH4300DVD Double din that I pulled out of my F250, that I would like to install in my C5Z. I see there is a company that sells the dash kit, but I was wondering if I could just modify my own dash bezel to install my 4300DVD.

If anyone has instructions, advice, etc it would be greatly appreciated!

#9 ·
Damned if I can find even one. But I know I've seen at least one. I distinctly remember pictures of the exposed structure.

After you remove the bezel, you move the climate control down and mount the new head unit. But the existing mounting points work I think, you don't even need to drill anything.
Then on the console bezel, the piece of the bezel that crosses under the radio is cut out. Because the piece is fared in to the main portion of the bezel, you have to cut it including the curved transitions. You end up with a notch in the main bezel at each side where the cross piece was, and a cross piece with squared-off ends that include the smooth faring.

You cut a similar sized notch in the main bezel an inch or so further down, where the cross piece needs to be for a double DIN. You glue the cross piece in place at the new location. You glue the pieces you removed from that location back in to the notches left by the removal of the cross piece. Then you use some Bondo to fill it and smooth it all out.

You need to perform a similar operation for the climate control. In so doing, you lose about 1/2 of the height of the ashtray opening. You have to glass that opening to close it up. Or, you can use the ashtray door by cutting it down and anchoring it in place, and then filling with Bondo again. If I recall, the remaining space below the climate control is large enough for switches, a 12V outlet, or small gauges.

The stock bezel has a textured finish. Where you add filler or fiberglass and sand it down, the areas will be smooth. I think most of these modified bezels have a smooth finish because, while the texture can't be easily replicated in the new areas, it can be sanded off everywhere. So once you're done, sand the whole thing smooth and paint it.

Voila!

I bought a spare bezel to do this. So I'd have extra parts if I screwed it up the first time...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.