Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Hood Latch

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  JoeS 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I have a Z16 and when I close the hood the driverside does not close all the way I have to press on the edge of the hood over the latch with some force to get it to latch down. Besides being a pain it can't be good for the hood. I am not big on taking my car to the dealer. I was wondering if any one has had this problem and ajusted the latch somehow. I need to do something I've been avoiding opening the hood lately.

#2 ·
First: Welcome to :z:
I had a C4 and would just drop it from 6-8 " and it would latch fine.
When I got the C5 I was told I had to "slam" it. Tried it ... didn't like it... Instead, I manually force each side.
I don't know the adjustments - prolly the bumper stops and mebbe latch shims ... just never bothered with it.
Not much help ... except to know you're not alone :eek::

#3 · (Edited)
Normal, It is Chevy's method of making you exercise by having you walk around the car to lock the hood.
Chevy suggests that you walk around the rear of the car as this will burn off about .000634 of a calorie.
Now see not only is this car fun to drive but it will make you a cardio machine.:cheers:

I lower hood then lay palm over latch press down on hood firmly until first latch locks walk around and lock second latch.

Sabot

#5 ·
I lower the hood down onto its' latches and close each side individually by appling pressure over each latch. Note that the latches are at different positions on each side. I take extra care not to "slam" the hood as it's carbon fiber. A little pressure over each latch should do it.

Charlie

#6 ·
I drop the hood from 6 to 8 inches up and it locks every time. Check to see if you have enough grease on the latch strike or maybe a minor latch adjustment could be in order. In any event its no big deal.

#7 ·
Sabot said:
I lower hood then lay palm over latch press down on hood firmly until first latch locks walk around and lock second latch.
Sabot
And just what do you do about those big old palm prints that you leave on the shiny hood?:p

Charlie

#8 ·
Zrod said:
I drop the hood from 6 to 8 inches up and it locks every time. Check to see if you have enough grease on the latch strike or maybe a minor latch adjustment could be in order. In any event its no big deal.
Carbon fiber hood has more flex than normal hood.

NYCHASM said:
And just what do you do about those big old palm prints that you leave on the shiny hood?
That right there is the reason Mr. Zaino Is privy to my credit card number!

Sabot

#10 ·
Just after I bought my car, the salesman asked me if I knew how to close vette hoods. I said no of course, and he dhowed me the way! Just take it by center, and give it a good shove down from 1.5'. They will both latch.

#11 ·
NYCHASM said:
I lower the hood down onto its' latches and close each side individually by appling pressure over each latch. Note that the latches are at different positions on each side. I take extra care not to "slam" the hood as it's carbon fiber. A little pressure over each latch should do it.

Charlie
I agree with Charlie, also welcome to the club. :cheers:

#12 ·
Hi JIM....Welcome To The Best Place On The Net :thumb:

I Feel your Pain,These Carbon Fiber Hoods Feel Like They are Made Of Tissue Paper. After a few slams you will develop that "Just Right" Technique of enough down pressure amd slightly off center hand placement !! :z::z:

#13 ·
Thanks everyone for the welcome and the input on the hood. It looks like that carbon fiber hood isn't a good closer. In my case I don't think I could slam it hard enough to make it latch so I will continue to press it closed like it seems a number of Z16's do and wipe off the palm print.

#14 ·
I believe the cause of the problem can be opening the hood wrong. i.e. just lifting by the corner. I always put my hand as close to the back center when opening, and then lift.

As for closing, I agree with a couple of the other posts, from the center. I keep a soft cloth in the car for just such occasions.

Welcome to the site. :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.