Less Oil Burning with 10w-30? - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2005, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Z06 Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,388
Less Oil Burning with 10w-30?

I've been running Mobil 1 5w-30 in the Zee, but was wondering if switching to 10w-30 might cut down on some oil consumption.

My Zee isn't too bad on oil ... maybe a quart every 2500 ~ 3000 miles or so if driven pretty "spirited" ... not raced.

Anyone switch from 5w-30 to 10w-30 and see any difference in oil consumption?

Also, has anyone determined if the oil brand makes any difference ... say Mobil 1 10w-30 vs. Amsoil 10w-30. Both meet the GM oil spec.
__________________
I don't need no stinkin' signature !!

Last edited by ZeeOhSix; 03-02-2005 at 12:56 AM.
ZeeOhSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2005, 06:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Master
 
IT L GO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 17,745
IMO you will see no difference in oil consumption. Your consumption is normal and better than most. I use 10W30 myself because it's so hot in South Florida.

The new Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W or 10W-30 does not meet GM 6094M/GM4718M spec. The Mobil 1 5W or 10W-30 synthetic does. I Emailed Mobil about this. There response was that Mobil 1 Extended Performance does not meet GM spec GM4718M and to use either Mobil 1 10W-30 or 5W-30 synthetic with no explanation. Even-though I specifically asked for one.

.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
IT L GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Z06 Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT L GO
The new Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W or 10W-30 does not meet GM 6094M/GM4718M spec. The Mobil 1 5W or 10W-30 synthetic does. I Emailed Mobil about this. There response was that Mobil 1 Extended Performance does not meet GM spec GM4718M and to use either Mobil 1 10W-30 or 5W-30 synthetic with no explanation. Even-though I specifically asked for one.
That's strange that their "better" oil won't meet the GM spec. I was planning on using the original Mobil 1 or else Amsoil 10w-30 come the next oil change. Both meet GM4718M, so can't go wrong I suppose.
__________________
I don't need no stinkin' signature !!
ZeeOhSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeOhSix
That's strange that their "better" oil won't meet the GM spec. I was planning on using the original Mobil 1 or else Amsoil 10w-30 come the next oil change. Both meet GM4718M, so can't go wrong I suppose.
While I agree that you probably can't go wrong with either, the AMSOIL SAE 10w30 is formulated for a 25k mile change interval whereas the Mobil 1 is not. AMSOIL commissioned this indepedent lab test of 10w30 motor oils in March - May of 2003 and I feel the results show the difference in this formulation approach. Note, the Mobil used in this test is the Mobil 1, not the new EP.
Comparative Oil Test
Subdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Austin/Cedar Park TX
Posts: 654
The real answer is which oil protects your main's the best.

As you spin up your motor to higher RPM's the additives are the last thing to protect your main bearing's.

If you are not spinning your motor higher than the stock rev limiter then I'd go with the OEM suggested oil and live with the oil consumption and just add oil as needed.
__________________
2003 Black - Corsa Exhaust
pat03z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Z06 Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inverness, FL.
Posts: 5,484
Send a message via AIM to gsjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT L GO
IMO you will see no difference in oil consumption. Your consumption is normal and better than most. I use 10W30 myself because it's so hot in South Florida.

The new Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W or 10W-30 does not meet GM 6094M/GM4718M spec. The Mobil 1 5W or 10W-30 synthetic does. I Emailed Mobil about this. There response was that Mobil 1 Extended Performance does not meet GM spec GM4718M and to use either Mobil 1 10W-30 or 5W-30 synthetic with no explanation. Even-though I specifically asked for one.

.
When i was in Wal-Mart the other day buying Mobil 1 i read all the labels. There are gonna be a lot of people buying the new extended performance thinking it is better. But if you read on the back of the bottles, only the original Mobil 1 Synthetic says, comes from the factory in the Corvette. Plus Viper, BMW, Porsche, Etc. The others, i think there are 3 different versions of the extended, say nothing about these cars. Plus they do not have the rating #'s for Vettes listed on them. So be very careful when you buy, the bottles look very similar.

Jack
__________________

04 Z06 MY/ModRed(SOLD)
04 Z06 Z16(SOLD)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
gsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Z06 Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat03z06
The real answer is which oil protects your main's the best.

As you spin up your motor to higher RPM's the additives are the last thing to protect your main bearing's.

If you are not spinning your motor higher than the stock rev limiter then I'd go with the OEM suggested oil and live with the oil consumption and just add oil as needed.
I would think that the "Four Ball Wear" test would give a good indication of the oil's bearing wear protection.

As you can see in Subdriver's link -- Comparative Oil Test -- the Amsoil was rated at 0.40 mm wear scar while Mobil 1 SuperSyn was rated at 0.60 mm wear scar ... that's 50% more wear.



I’m also wondering if maybe using the Amsoil would reduce some oil usage due to it’s lower “NOACK Volatility” ... almost half of Mobil 1.



Amsoil sure looks good in all the lab tests! Subdriver, I haven't forgot about your offer.
__________________
I don't need no stinkin' signature !!
ZeeOhSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Z06 Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: .Northern NJ
Posts: 9,910
I got a case of this stuff. Mobil 1 5w30 SuperSyn.

Exceeds ILSAC FG-3 and API Service SL, SJ, Cf Meets ACEA A1/B1/A5/B5-02 Meets GM 4718M

Let me know if I need to return this before my next oil change.

Thanks guys....

JB
__________________
2008 C6 M6 Z51 NPP /2008 CTS AWD 3.6 DI FE2
JBsZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Z06 Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 5,563
JB,
That is the factory fill oil and it does meet the appropriate GM Standard 4718M. You're fine.
Subdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Z06 Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: .Northern NJ
Posts: 9,910
Thanks for the heads up...

JB
__________________
2008 C6 M6 Z51 NPP /2008 CTS AWD 3.6 DI FE2
JBsZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Burning Oil Silver01 C5 Z06 - Pit Road 5 10-24-2006 11:57 PM
oil question ?? 10w 60 COUTO1981 C5 Z06 - Pit Road 7 02-18-2005 07:32 AM
01 Oil Consumption - Use Kendall 10W-50? Andy2 C5 Z06 - Pit Road 7 06-15-2003 03:36 PM
burning oil? tonybrasco Racing 9 03-16-2002 03:17 PM
Burning up the oil! zed06 C5 Z06 - Grandstand 22 12-11-2001 05:42 PM

» Log in
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Insurance
» Latest Auto News
Buy a Volvo, Get Four Years of Satellite Radio
Are Japanese Cars Really Reliable?
Takata Says it Has Sufficient Funds for Recall
» New Car Reviews
2014 LA Auto Show Preview
November 18-20
2015 Mercedes-Benz S550 4Matic Review
The Benchmark in Sensible Opulence
2015 Toyota Yaris Review
Refreshed but Hard to Recommend
2014 SEMA Show Coverage
Nov 4 - 7
2015 Dodge Charger SXT AWD Review
The Forgotten Mainstream Charger
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2