I’m no expert but antifreeze must be mixed from what I understand. Glycol is one of the main ingredients of antifreeze (so that methanol does not boil over) but it needs to be mixed with water because when added straight, it does not transfer heat. The water is what transfers the heat (the antifreeze doesn’t) and antifreeze just allows the water to be useful at very low and high temperatures. Without a good heat transfer you will get hot spots throughout your engine, which could have caused your head gasket failure. The chemicals/inhibitors used in antifreeze are meant to be mixed with water, without the water they maybe too concentrated and be harmful to parts of the engines. Also the corrosion inhibitors that are important in antifreeze, are designed to work in a water solution. In fact, the inhibitors are activated by the water which in turn lets it protect the metals. In essence, the antifreeze does not work correctly without water, but water works correctly with antifreeze.
Last edited by benenati379; 01-11-2006 at 10:44 AM.