which pulleys are known to go bad.... - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2006, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Z06 Member

Send a message via AIM to hardcoresoldier Send a message via Yahoo to hardcoresoldier
which pulleys are known to go bad....

have a new squeal today, sounds like the belts or a pully going out. belt is fine. which pulley(s) are known to go out frequently?
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2006, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Senior Member

Location: Bennett, Colorado Z06 Fest II & V, Winterfest !,!! & !!!
I think that it is the crankshaft pulley, I got that squeal right now too, I ended up cutting two ribs off my current belt to make it stop. I fixin' to change the pulley out here this next week. I will tell you then if it worked or not.

Peelin' Out
Ted :usa:

Born on Date-10-12-01, MCM Hood, ACI Front Spoiler,Caravaggio Rear Spoiler, Kooks 1 3/4 LT,Vortex CAI Stingers, Hurst Shifter /Flameball, EE Tunnel Plate, RD Harness Bar/5 point harness, V-1 and Cobra 75 CB
Ted Pennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Z06 Master

I found this

You have two belt systems on your car. One is the drive belt system, the other is the air conditioner belt system. The drive belt system consists of the serpentine belt,the power steering pump, alternator/gen, water pump, harmonic balancer, idler pulley,belt auto tensioner pulley. The AC belt system consists of the compressor, harmonic balancer, idler pulley, belt auto tensioner pulley. First thing you need to do is isolate which system is squeaking. this can be done by releasing tension on the drive belt tensioner and removing the serpentine belt. This is the outboard belt of the two belt systems..if the squeak goes away, then it is the belt or a component of the drive system. If the squeak is still there, then it is a component of the AC belt system. To verify this release the belt tension from the tensioner and remove the belt. if the squeak goes away, then it is a component of the ac belt system. A common problem is the belt tensioner on either system. Verifying which system is at fault is the proper procedure. You could replace both belts, but you may still have the squeak. So if you want to find the culprit, isolate the system, then spray the belt of the offending system and see if the squeak goes away. Try to stay away from the idler and tensioner while spaying. I find that belt dressing may be good to identify a belt problem, but it is a temporary fix at best. The real problem has been the tensioner and the idler. Both of these components have a sealed bearing which has been know to dry up or redirect the grease away from the bearing, thus causing the squeak. If you find that a belt change does not correct the problem, then a change of both the idler and tensioner pulley is in order. If you just change the idler or the tensioner alone, it will cause the other component to go bad in a month or so. This has been the case with many members. There was a change made to the dusts seals to help correct this problem in newer C5's. Lots of tensioner and idler pulleys have been identified as a problem, and it can effect either system. One is not more prevalent than the other. So find out which system is squeaking first, in the drive belt system, it could also be the bearing of the alternator, power steering pump, or water pump too, but these are less probable.

From what I have read it doesn't seem to be one belt or pulley more than another.
It could be one of the following or any combination of the following.

1. Drive belt
2. A/C belt
3. Tensioner
4..Pulley(s) which is sometime times even the crankshaft pulley.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Member

Send a message via AIM to hardcoresoldier Send a message via Yahoo to hardcoresoldier
thanks
Old 06-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

My belts where make noise for weeks went to the dealer and found out my crankshaft pulley was bad. So I would say crankshaft pulley and tensioner.
Brandon619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Another thing to check. Both the tensioner and the idler pulley can go bad and squeak like a demon. I have not put the miles on the vette yet, but my suburban had the tensioner and the idler go before 75k. If you have the belt off spin them and make sure they spin freely without resistance. Both were pretty cheap, but that was without a vette tax.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Z06 Member

i hate the vette tax....so not fair....theres a few parts at a national parts store that charge 20-30% more for vette parts compared to camaro parts....the same part....
Old 06-25-2006, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon619
My belts where make noise for weeks went to the dealer and found out my crankshaft pulley was bad. So I would say crankshaft pulley and tensioner.
Check the tensioner first, this is my bet as the most likely one to fail first. Good Luck
Old 06-25-2006, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoresoldier
i hate the vette tax....so not fair....theres a few parts at a national parts store that charge 20-30% more for vette parts compared to camaro parts....the same part....
Agree, it is especially bad when the part for something else is so close that it could almost be the same and the non-vette part costs half as much.

But Alas, it could be worse, I hear Mercedes parts make ours look cheap.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash
Check the tensioner first, this is my bet as the most likely one to fail first. Good Luck
Thats what I told the dealer then they called me and showed me the crankpulley :jawdrop: . It was fixed under warranty when I had it.
Brandon619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Two problems that I've had...

1) Power Steering pulley. It's plastic, like Bakealite, brittle. Mine fractured in to 6 almost-equal pie wedges. The belt wraps around it a good way, and that actually held it together for 100+ miles before I got it fixed, but it was noisy as heck. Replaced entire pump (because we couldn't get the stump off the shaft without hammering on it, and the P/S pump shafts have a reputation for easy damage).

2) A/C. My car started making a high-pitched whine early last summer. It would come and go for no reason I could see. I couldn't figure out what it was, or even where it was coming from. Drove the car 5K miles without the sound even changing. Then, one day I restarted the car after a short shopping trip, and it made a horrible metallic scraping sound. I figured to drive it home (a few miles). It had just rained the the windshield was foggy. I hit the A/C and the horrible sound went away. The A/C compressor clutch pully idler bearings had croaked. Replaced A/C clutch assembly.

Now, Vortech powered!
_________Click for details_________

Download a Z06VETTE screensaver
Black, QS, Torch, Blue, Mil. Yellow,
C6!
RocketSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road