Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Questions on 427 engine install

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  DJWorm 
#1 ·
Been driving my '04 Z almost a year now. Love the car, but I'm needing more power. Haven't talked to any vendors yet as I thought I would get your opinions first.

I want to go above the heads/cam route if I do anything.

Was considering a new C6 Z, but I'm happy with the looks of the C5, and a new Z would probably cost more than the motor plus parts/install after trade in.

Question, what would be involved to put in a new 427 engine in my Z? My Z is bone stock as of now.

Would anything else need to be upgraded? (IE. clutch, tranny, computer, etc).

Does anyone know a good place to have it installed in Tennessee? :roll:

Note: I don't track, dump the clutch, or do burnouts, just like plenty of power available from 0 to 100. :bang:

Should I pursue it or forget it? :-?

tia

augydog

See less See more
#2 ·
I would recommend a 3 step approach:

Step 1.) Contact GNXGuy

Step 2.) Contact MTI.

Step 3.) Pickup your car in Houston.

:)

#9 ·
You can go 2 routes for the block, using the stock block or upgrading to the C5R block. If not tracking the car stay with the stock block.

I recommend upgrading the clutch, adding an Aluminum Flywheel and upgrading the Diff output shafts. Tranny will be OK. If you track the car then you will need to add an engine oil cooler, tranny & diff coolers, Possibly a larger racing radiator.

Good engine builders and installation shops:

MTI, Lingenfelter, Mallett, Cartek, Agostino Racing Engines, 21stCMC, Doug Rippie .

Computer will be fine but will be need to be reprogrammed, NBD.

All forged internals with cam and heads redone.

You should also consider upgrading the intake to either a Vararam or Halltech, possibly a FAST intake manifold with larger TB, Headers and a CAT back exhaust system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.