So does Chevron gas fix fuel gauge problem? - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2004, 04:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Send a message via AIM to ChuckChurch
So does Chevron gas fix fuel gauge problem?

Just curious if this brand of gas will fix the inaccurate gauge problem? Mine is getting progressively worse, never really sure how much gas is in it. I assume their normal 93 or 94 octane is the one to use, right? Any other brands of gas anyone has had luck with in dealing with this issue? The PCM flash didn't help at all.

Thanks,

Last edited by ChuckChurch; 10-01-2004 at 04:31 AM.
ChuckChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2004, 04:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

I am curious why a brand of gas would affect the reading?
NinjaZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 04:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaZ06
I am curious why a brand of gas would affect the reading?
It's believed that the sulfur content of many gasolines affects the sending units in the gas tanks. Don't know why it never affected any other vehicle I ever owned. But some people have posted that Chevron's additive in their gas has fixed the issue.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Very interesting. I use BP/Amoco and have never had an issue. Thanks for the response.
NinjaZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 04:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

I was very skeptical when I had the fuel gauge problem, and put a bottle of Techtron in. Within a 100 miles problem gone and has been fine since. I try to fill up at Chevron when ever possible.
ALLR RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 04:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLR RED
I was very skeptical when I had the fuel gauge problem, and put a bottle of Techtron in. Within a 100 miles problem gone and has been fine since. I try to fill up at Chevron when ever possible.
So is Techtron an additive in a bottle, or a brand of gas that Chevron sells?
Old 10-01-2004, 05:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckChurch

Chevron gas contains Techtron. But you can buy Techtron as an additive in most auto stores. Put a bottle through you car and see if it helps.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash
Chevron gas contains Techtron. But you can buy Techtron as an additive in most auto stores. Put a bottle through you car and see if it helps.

Guys,

I also believe that the "new" Shell V-Power Premium (93 octane) gas contain either Techron or something similar, since they claim their gas has the same effect of elimating any of the negative aspects of sulfur in the gas.

Don
Don Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 06:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Tom and Don are both correct! (How weird is that? ) Techron is the additive in Chevron and is probably one of the best fuel system cleaners out there. The new Shell V-Power is supposed to be as good. Time will tell.

A faulty sensor may not improve with the addition of either of these gasolines. If memory serves me (more often than not, it doesn't) some '02's had faulty sensors. If your warranty is still in effect...have them changed.

Charlie

I asked to be 18 again and poof, I are!
NYCHASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Maybe I'm just lucky but, I've never had this problem. I use what ever is the cheapest 93 octane I can find! I use Citgo, USA Gas, Garden State Fuel, etc. On certain days I can get $.06 off premium so, I do it! No problems yet. My car is an '04 with over 10,000 miles on the clock.

Hope I didn't just jinx myself!
04 Z06 Mil Yellow Mod/Red - Donaldson Blackwing, Power Duct, Velocity Stack, Throttle Body By-pass, Hood Seal, Hurst Short Throw Shifter/Billiard Ball Knob, Eckler's Z06 Partition, Random Technology High Flow Cats and X-Pipe, 170 Thermostat, LS1 Edit, DuraStop Ceramic Pads and Drilled/Slotted Rotors.

HDRAMROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRAMROD
Maybe I'm just lucky but, I've never had this problem. I use what ever is the cheapest 93 octane I can find! I use Citgo, USA Gas, Garden State Fuel, etc. On certain days I can get $.06 off premium so, I do it! No problems yet. My car is an '04 with over 10,000 miles on the clock.

Hope I didn't just jinx myself!
I think the gas sensor problem was fixed by the '04 model year. My recollection is the problem was pretty frequent in the '00's and lessened in subsequent years.

BTW...can you guys still get Ultra 94 in NJ? What about PA Tom?

Charlie

I asked to be 18 again and poof, I are!
NYCHASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckChurch
Techron is an additive that Chevron puts in all grades of their gas. It is also avail. in a bottle at WallyMart for $5-$6.
bigbadbevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHASM
I think the gas sensor problem was fixed by the '04 model year. My recollection is the problem was pretty frequent in the '00's and lessened in subsequent years.

BTW...can you guys still get Ultra 94 in NJ? What about PA Tom?

Charlie

Charlie,

Ultra 94 is still here in NJ, and I think still in PA. I had heard they phased it out several months ago in NY, and I am certain we are probably not far behind.

Don
Don Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash
I try to buy Chevron whenever I can due to their additives and as the result of reading an article comparing gas and additives that was either in Vette magazine or Corvette Fever many years ago. I've used Chevron gasoline and their over the counter additives since I bought my first Corvette in 93. It was an 82 Collector Edition Corvette. Never had a minutes trouble with the dual throttle bodies they used with their famous (or not so famous) crossfire injection. Don't know if it was the gasoline or the additives, but I have to believe it was and that it helped. While other crossfire owners were rebuilding throttle bodies and trying to synchronize their fuel injection, I was cruising down the highway getting 25 mpg. The car was 20 years old and had 75K on the clock when I sold her and never a minutes trouble with the fuel injection. I'm using it in my Z and, knock on wood, no problems with the fuel gauge or the fuel injection system.
'02 Black/Mod Red Z06 - Gone to Live with a Fine Gentleman in Georgia
ArrestMeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Chevron Techron

The advantages of Chevron Techron and fuels containing it go beyond just keeping your fuel level sending units clean. It also helps reduce deposit buildup in injectors, intakes, intake valves, and combustion chambers. Good stuff. One 20 oz bottle treats 20 gallons of gas. The recommended treatment interval is once every 3000 mi.

Most fuels today only contain the Federaly mandated minimum amount of detergent additives to combat these deposits. Some of the additives used actually contribute to the buildup of these deposits. A few gas companies such as Chevron and Shell (there may be others) have started offering fuels containing much higher amounts of additives such as Techron to fight deposit buildup. I recently switched from Amaco to Shell because of this and have not had any more gas guage problems.

Last edited by Z06XR; 10-01-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Z06XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road