Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix? - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Z06 Addict
 
JETBLU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 262
Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

My center console cup holder lid lost it's spring...literally.
Can't figure out how to reattach it.
Could someone please send a close-up pic....or explain how to fix?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?-cl2.jpg  
JETBLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Master
 
vant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 4,760
Re: Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

I can't help you with the spring, but what kind of finish is that on your console? It looks like nickel or brushed aluminum.
__________________
I need a new sig!
2004 MS/BLK Z06 / Toyo T1Rs / CAGS Defeat / Seat Bolster Mod / HPDE Checklist
vant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,960
Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

I'm not sure where that came from. The spring looks intact in yours. Here's a closeup:
XFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Addict
 
JETBLU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 262
Re: Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vant View Post
I can't help you with the spring, but what kind of finish is that on your console? It looks like nickel or brushed aluminum.
It's faux brushed aluminum.
And thanks a lot...for nothing
JETBLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Z06 Addict
 
JETBLU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 262
Re: Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFordGuy View Post
I'm not sure where that came from. The spring looks intact in yours. Here's a closeup:
Hmm. Well, I know for sure that the lid no longer "springs" up. Not sure what broke. Kinda looks the same as yours. Appreciate the pic!:1_thanks:
JETBLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Z06 Master
 
vant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 4,760
Re: Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETBLU View Post
It's faux brushed aluminum.
And thanks a lot...for nothing
Anytime.
__________________
I need a new sig!
2004 MS/BLK Z06 / Toyo T1Rs / CAGS Defeat / Seat Bolster Mod / HPDE Checklist
vant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)
 
ZOHBABY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 473
Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETBLU View Post
Hmm. Well, I know for sure that the lid no longer "springs" up. Not sure what broke. Kinda looks the same as yours. Appreciate the pic!:1_thanks:
Mine doesn't spring up and I have a brand new center console piece. It is either flipped open or closed. No spring action that I can remember or aware of. I do see your missing the rubber piece that fits inside.

I will see if I can identify the clip you have sitting there from my old console when I get home tonight.

Interesting, I have a Z06 405 side badge on my ashtray cover too.

So are you keeping this Z? I wish I could afford your newer one. Nice looking ride!

One more thing, is the faux aluminum a vinyl wrap material?

Wait a second, after looking again at your pic, isn't that clip from the leather gear shift cover?
__________________
'03 Black Z06

Corvette - Driven to be driven

Last edited by ZOHBABY; 08-07-2013 at 02:20 PM.
ZOHBABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Z06 Addict
 
BigJimZ16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portage, IN
Posts: 428
Send a message via ICQ to BigJimZ16 Send a message via AIM to BigJimZ16
Re: Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETBLU View Post
My center console cup holder lid lost it's spring...literally.
Can't figure out how to reattach it.
Could someone please send a close-up pic....or explain how to fix?
Thanks!
I just walked back in from looking at my Z16, it looks IDENTICAL to yours. On your picture I see the same springs as on mine, they act as cam followers on the back side of the hinge on both sides. They hold the cover in place when it's open, but I wouldn't call it "spring tension". Are you sure that the spring is from the cup holder and not the ashtray/lighter door???
__________________
The only thing you get when you make something idiot proof, is a better grade of idiot
Z06/Z16 #1689 of 2025
BigJimZ16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,960
Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

The spring just applies tension to the hinge cams to either keep it closed or keep it open. It has no effect in between these states.

I've think I've seen the loose piece in the picture somewhere in the dash/console, but I can't recall where. The shifter boot mentioned above sounds plausible.
XFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Z06 Addict
 
JETBLU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 262
Re: Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOHBABY View Post
Mine doesn't spring up and I have a brand new center console piece. It is either flipped open or closed. No spring action that I can remember or aware of. I do see your missing the rubber piece that fits inside.

I will see if I can identify the clip you have sitting there from my old console when I get home tonight.

Interesting, I have a Z06 405 side badge on my ashtray cover too.

So are you keeping this Z? I wish I could afford your newer one. Nice looking ride!

One more thing, is the faux aluminum a vinyl wrap material?

Wait a second, after looking again at your pic, isn't that clip from the leather gear shift cover?

Actually have the rubber piece...took it out while I was attempting to fix it.
It's possible the clip in my pic isn't from cupholder, but it's definitely not from gear shift cover....never removed it...& it's still intact.

Have no plans to sell my Z16...although I just got the new issues of C&D, AutoWeek & MT with the new Stingray on the covers...tempting!



The faux aluminum interior trim is actually a custom-fit fiberglass...clear coat finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?-dsc00573.jpg   Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?-dsc00610.jpg   Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?-dsc00628.jpg   Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?-dsc00629.jpg  
JETBLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Z06 Addict
 
JETBLU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 262
Re: Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimZ16 View Post
I just walked back in from looking at my Z16, it looks IDENTICAL to yours. On your picture I see the same springs as on mine, they act as cam followers on the back side of the hinge on both sides. They hold the cover in place when it's open, but I wouldn't call it "spring tension". Are you sure that the spring is from the cup holder and not the ashtray/lighter door???
It's definitely not from the ashtray/lighter door (that still works)...but I'm not 100% sure it's from the cup holder now....but I am sure the lid used to have some tension in the open & closed positions & it no longer does.
JETBLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Z06 Addict
 
JETBLU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 262
Re: Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFordGuy View Post
The spring just applies tension to the hinge cams to either keep it closed or keep it open. It has no effect in between these states.

I've think I've seen the loose piece in the picture somewhere in the dash/console, but I can't recall where. The shifter boot mentioned above sounds plausible.
No longer have tension on the lid in open or closed positions. If it did pop a spring, I can't find it
JETBLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)
 
ZOHBABY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 473
Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

I verified that the clip is not from the shift boot. I also verified that there is very little tension on the cup holder lid. Pretty much no spring action.

I cannot locate that clip you have sitting in there. I looked at my old center console piece, front and back, and it does not show. The cup holder lid on that one lacked spring action too. I think it is safe to say your cup lid is OK. As for the loose clip in your pic, no idea.

My apologies. Somehow I got you mixed up with another member "BLUDEVL ZO6" on a for sale thread. Getting old sucks!
__________________
'03 Black Z06

Corvette - Driven to be driven
ZOHBABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,960
Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETBLU View Post
No longer have tension on the lid in open or closed positions. If it did pop a spring, I can't find it
After looking at your original picture, I can see why you have no tension. If you look at the spring in your first picture, you can see that it isn't even touching the flat surface on the cover. On mine, the spring is tight against it and holding it open. It doesn't apply much tension, it just holds it there.
XFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Z06 Addict
 
JETBLU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 262
Re: Spring Loaded Cup Holder Cover Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOHBABY View Post
I verified that the clip is not from the shift boot. I also verified that there is very little tension on the cup holder lid. Pretty much no spring action.

I cannot locate that clip you have sitting in there. I looked at my old center console piece, front and back, and it does not show. The cup holder lid on that one lacked spring action too. I think it is safe to say your cup lid is OK. As for the loose clip in your pic, no idea.

My apologies. Somehow I got you mixed up with another member "BLUDEVL ZO6" on a for sale thread. Getting old sucks!
LOL! Thanks for the info!
JETBLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cup Holder ZAKsPop C6 Z06 - Pit Road 11 02-25-2011 09:08 PM
Cup Holder for a C5 KillerVette Member Sales - Parts & Cars 2 08-12-2005 03:07 PM
Review of cup holder. jimmar Vendor Sales - C5 19 05-15-2004 05:51 PM
Cup Holder Mad Scientist C5 Z06 - Grandstand 15 08-18-2002 07:01 PM
Cup Holder NVGRWUP C5 Z06 - Grandstand 9 06-23-2002 06:11 PM

» Log in
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Insurance
» Latest Auto News
Audi Confirms Third TT Variant in the Works
The Audi TT family is definitely growing. The German automaker has
EV Parade Sets World Record with 507 Vehicles
The Nissan Leaf led the way in a record-setting EV parade. During
Toyota Developing 3D Head-Up Display
Toyota is the latest automaker to reveal its plans for a
» New Car Reviews
2015 Ford Mustang Review
Improving an Icon
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Review
Meet Mitsubishi’s Messiah
2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6R vs Chrysler 200S
Two All-New, All-Wheel Drive Family Sedans Square Off
2014 Paris Motor Show Preview
October 4 to 19
2015 Lincoln Navigator Review
The same, but different
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2