Corvette Z06 Forum banner

What temp does engine bay heat reach?

47K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Leman 
#1 ·
How hot does it get for underhood heat?

#2 ·
First time I think I've seen this question posed. I really have no idea. I suspect that the temp varies with distance from the headers, engine, radiator, etc. General temp is probably below 212F as the windshield wiper fluid does not boil and that is near the top of the compartment. It would be interesting to stick a thermometer in the windshield wiper fluid reservoir after the car has been idling long enough for temps to stabilize.

#5 ·
It's not really a question that can be answered as asked. It depends on a lot of variables, where you measure, what kind of driving you've been doing, and what you're doing at the time you go to take a measurement. At rest after a hard run, I wouldn't be surprised to see temps up over 300 or so. Engine components like the headers run a lot hotter than the water temp coming out of the block might lead you to believe. ALll that heat has to dissipate someplace, and if you're not moving forward with enough speed to ventilate, quite a bit is going to get trapped under the hood, especially if the fans aren't running. At speed, there's lots of airflow, though. I bet the average temps coming out from along the windshield and under the car are well below the water temperature...

#9 ·
Well I just came back from a run. One hour and ten minutes mostly hwy. 85 MPH. No spirited driving just came home. Cool nite at 70 degrees. Car sat for about 4 minutes while I went into the other garage to get my laser temp gauge. Exhaust manifold 310, alternator 155, water pump 192, power steering pump 192, oil tank 165, front rotor 192 degrees. The power steeing pump was a surprise to me. The exhaust manifold was probably hotter and was rapidly declining. There is the answer for an o8Z. I never checked my o3z to compare but it was never this hot.

#24 ·
According to my ODBC intake air gets to 50c at a standstill with an outside air temperature of 28c. Yet to residual heat on track but count on 70c.

Intake air without a cai is about 6 to 10c above outside air temperature. I am referencing an 08 Z06.

I am measuring this to if a cai is worth adding. Seems to be the case....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.