Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Z06 Accessory Drive noise-what's failing?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  xsiveone 
#1 ·
Coming back from AutoX yesterday. Heard a squeal/whine that varied with engine speed as I took the ramp on to interstate. Stopped. Saw what I thought was a screw backed out about 3/4" from the idler pully below the alternator. A buddy released tension on the belt. I tried to screw it in ... found that it's just a plastic plug and just pushed it in ... pulley seemed ok, but I thought perhaps the bearing was going. What to do ???? started it up ... no noise ... went down the road. couple of times on the road, squeal picked up. Stopped, checked ... everything seemed ok. Did 190 miles this way easy ... now I'm wondering ... (I don't have a shop manual) if the bell-shaped thing just inside the idler pully and below --- is that a harmonic balancer??? might be going out. any help here? Search turned up nothing.
TIA.

#3 ·
Thanks, Mike. Will do.
All: On reflection, given that I now know that the
"bell-shaped thing just inside the idler pully and below --- "
is the water pump, and what I might have is a water pump bearing fixin' to fail. ... at 4200 miles???

#4 ·
One cheap way to isolate engine compartment noises is to use something like a wooden dowel. Place one end against the suspect accessory and listen to the other end. If the engine is vibrating too much, a length of garden hose will work to narrow the area down.

#5 ·
Feedback on the noise I heard on my '03:
Took car in and had all checked out.
Nothing leaking, loose, or worn.
Thinking is that it was the serpentine belt squealing.
Could have tried belt dressing, but Svc Manager opted to replace the belt under warranty. (4200 miles)
So ... back to driving ... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.