2002 Z06 Fuel injector - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Tuning & Electronics
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

2002 Z06 Fuel injector

Hi all,

Im looking for a set of injectors for my stock Z06. is a 36lb injector correct? this is my first vette so i really am a serious noob and could use some good a advice. Is this an item that can be upgraded for better performance on a stock motor. i have a corsa extreme exhaust (not installed yet) and will also go with an after market air cleaner setup. im not sure if that would have an impact on what type of injector i should be looking at.

thx for the help!

nevada
nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Yuma, Az. ?????? Z06 Fest IV, V, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII & Winterfest 1,2,3 & 4
Lifetime Premium Member
Re: 2002 Z06 Fuel injector

Is there anything wrong with your current injectors? If not, then minor mods like cold air intake and exhaust really don't require larger than stock injectors. When you add a cam and heads....then you need to go to larger injectors.:cool:

I have air intake, headers and exhaust and the stock injectors are just fine.

Sig by GR8 White (modified by Speedratchet)
2004 MS/BLK
Still retired out in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by YumaZ06; 03-10-2009 at 07:07 PM.
YumaZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jim Lembo
Lifetime Premium Member

The stock injectors are 28.8# at 4 bar, (58psi). They are good to at least 400rwhp. For your minor mods they will be just fine. Larger injectors will not increase performance in a stock motor. Save your money.

Jimbo
'03 EB/mod blue, LME/V-Max 416, AFR 225's, Comp Custom cam from Pete at V-Max, 3" custom exhaust and lots of attitude! 10.47@133.38 :D Z06 Fest member III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII and Winterfests 1, 2, 3 & 4. 543rwhp/493rwtq, all motor!
Jim Lembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Tech Advisor

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada View Post
Hi all,

Im looking for a set of injectors for my stock Z06. is a 36lb injector correct? this is my first vette so i really am a serious noob and could use some good a advice. Is this an item that can be upgraded for better performance on a stock motor. i have a corsa extreme exhaust (not installed yet) and will also go with an after market air cleaner setup. im not sure if that would have an impact on what type of injector i should be looking at.

thx for the help!

nevada
Stock injectors are around 28 lbs.
ONLY focing the injector to flow with a 100% duty cycle (static) can they only handle 448 flywheel HP.

Standard rule to prevent injectors going static is not to run them beyond 80 percent duty cycle which then means the maximum flywheel HP drops to only 356.

Consider also we now are forced to use E10 gas which requires more fuel to make the same HP as normal gas you can see a stock injector for best performance is nowhere the claims of 400-450 rearwheel HP.

Something to consider is weather and where car is to sealevel, the higher the elevation the less fuel is needed but also there is HP loss as much as 50 flywheel HP at 4,000 feet elevation lost

Standard for rating injectors is when fuel rail pressure is about 42 PSI so if you find a third party injector rated at 30 lbs/hr that would be at the 42 PSI where our Corvettes have 58 PSI fuel rail pressure making those 30 lb/hr more like 36 lbs.

Even if engine is stock by using a bit larger injector reduces their pulse width on time which allows the PCM to have better control of injectors and more fuel flow can be commanded to prevent engine knock that pulls timing which kills torque so it is a positive using a 36 lb injector.

Those claiming 28 lb can handle 400 RWHP need to think why the LS2 also at 400 FWHP has 32 lb,
the 500 HP C6 uses 40 lb and
new ZR1 at 640 HP uses 48 lb injectors plus a dual stage fuel pump system

so nowhere can 28 lb/hr handle 460 FWHP, produce maximum performance and worse in hot weather and racing.

36 lbs would be best case as going too large would cause to small and too often PCM commands to injector on time which is less control and injectors internals working harder. With tuning and 36 lb/hr would allow engine knock being greatly reduced while adding timing to increase torque
Old 03-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thx guys!

So racingvette, would 36 lb injectors for my stock Z with aftermarket exhaust and an air induction kit be a good combo? i dont plan on doing to much else to it. if i go with 36lb injectors do i need to reprogram the computer?

sorry if these sounds like novice questions, well they are lol, im am not very knowledgeable on this stuff.

thx!

nevada
Old 03-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Z06 Tech Advisor

Premium Member

The PCM would relearn somewhat to back off injector ON time with the 36s and with Nevada heat would not be too bad but if your doing this for performance then really need to have a good tune done so that when the injectors need to supply more fuel the tune can also make use of more timing.

In cold weather the 36 lb/hr without a tune will be too rich.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Send a message via AIM to PerforminNorman Send a message via Yahoo to PerforminNorman

Ok, maybe I'm missing the boat here. I seem to do that a lot. LOL But unless I'm missing something, I don't think injectors are necessary for a CAI and exhaust mods. I think you'd be wasting money that could be better spent somewhere else for performance gains.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerforminNorman View Post
Ok, maybe I'm missing the boat here. I seem to do that a lot. LOL But unless I'm missing something, I don't think injectors are necessary for a CAI and exhaust mods. I think you'd be wasting money that could be better spent somewhere else for performance gains.
I agree completely!

Mike

2002 Procharged (F1-C) 427LSX 821rwhp/751rwtq
9.87 at 141mph & 2007 Black C6 Z06
Vette Magazine article
1/4 mile pass
MikesZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

hi all,

im having issues with my injectors, one or more is leaking. talked to an injector guy and am going to have them rebuilt. i was thinking of replacing them and was not sure what i should be looking at on the lbs. the conversation just got my interest up in the performance aspect etc for down the road if i decide to do more to the motor. so conversation kind of went from what stock lbs are to performance lol. this is my first vette and i have found that it is VERY EASY to get headed in the direction of performance lol. I LOVE THIS CAR!

thx all!
Old 03-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Z06 Tech Advisor

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerforminNorman View Post
The stock injectors are a bit too small even if the car was 100% stock and again why starting in 2005 the C6 began using 32 lb injectors and not the 28s.

Sure 28s will work but so will the PCM dump as much as 15 degrees of timing during engine knock while the larger injector can be used to prevent that.

Ever see how our Corvettes seem like a slug in hot weather ?
Try it where the owner is in Nevada heat at or near sealevel.

Ever wonder why GM themselves even for the C5R used the 40 lb/hr Buick Grand Sport ( supercharged ) injectors ?

Set of injectors are about $250, being stock injectors will fail behind and force PCM to command injectors on longer at times they do not have to by using a bit larger injector and with a tune the gas mileage will go up and that savings pay for the new injectors along will gained performance that will not be seen with just a tune alone.

As mentioned with the EPA requirement of E10 gas a further need to run a larger injector due to that gas makeup and how it performs even less in hot weather

Just because a larger injector is being used does not mean they are flowing any more then stock ones when need be but when the need for more fuel is needed the injectors are not being maxed out where stock ones are 90 plus percent duty cycle.

Kinda simple way to see if after a tune to use a scanner and haul ass and watch

1. fuel trim averages
2. engine knock
3. timing
4. injector pulse width
5. injector duty cycle
6. engine torque

the injector reading alone above 15 mSec pulse width or above 80 % duty cycle will say if injectors are too small.

Add some timing and repeat tests and you'll see if a larger injector is used with a stock engine the performance gains are much better then using stock injectors.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

hi all,

so swapped out injectors with a rebuilt set from a recommended source on forum. after install took car out and drove it. it was nice like a new machine. revved better, idled better, mpg went up, pulled better. that was sunday. today car was great until i got stuck in stop and go traffic for about 45 mins. i finally got to my destination and pulled into garage. car was running fine until i got close to parking. then it started running rough. no smoke at this point. i parked it. it sat for about 1.5 hours. i exited property back out on to street into the stop and go traffic again (construction on ls vegas blvd is bad right now). car ran rough and started putting out HUGE plumes of smoke and the smell of fuel. It was probably 10 times worse than it was before. took me 40 minutes to get somewhere so i could park it. had it towed to dealer and await the verdict. so apparently it was not just an injector issue if at all. will drop a note when i know more!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

So talked to the vette mechanic at dealer. he got in and took it for a spin this morning then called me. car ran great! lol. so explained the issues i was having and when they would occur so he is going to keep it a few days and drive it off and on to see if he can get the prob to happen. on a side note, he offered to install my corsa extreme exhaust for me. its only been sitting in my computer room for almost two months lol
Old 03-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Well if you need a set of stock injectors, I have the set I took out of my LS6 at about 20K miles when I installed my Vortech and they've just been sitting in the garage ever since.

Now, Vortech powered!
_________Click for details_________

Download a Z06VETTE screensaver
Black, QS, Torch, Blue, Mil. Yellow,
C6!
RocketSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ok got the vette back today. is running great so far. the new exhaust sounds sweet. The car is definitely is running better. The only thing that he found was a short in the harness. i forgot to ask him where. i did check the one spot that a previous poster mentioned to check. it seemed ok to me when i checked. so who knows if i did not see it or it was elsewhere. so hopefully its fixed. is nice here today; i took the long way home lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Tuning & Electronics