Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Main Engine Cooling fan electrical problem

8K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  cowboycorvette 
#1 ·
My '03 LS6 ZO6 main cooling fan won't kick on and the engine overheats. The engine fan fuse constantly trips and gets hot - replaced. Other mechanic told me fuse box was bad - replaced - still tripping and no fan. Replaced fan - still no fan kick on. Do I need to trace the entire wiring and look for a short?? Anyone else have this?? Thanks for any input and help.

#4 ·
Most of the relays in the fuse box have the same part # so for a test you can swap the fan relays with others and see how that goes.

Of course if the battery is the side mounts it can be possible acid leaked down and soaked into the main wiring harness.
Look below battery and by wire loom and see if any white colored acid signs.

#8 · (Edited)
I swapped out the entire fuse box, replaced relay twice, no acid - only thing left is to start tracing wires. I was wondering same thing as Xford guy (why were you EVER a ford guy??? ;-) - if there was a separate sensor for that fan that could somehow be shorting out the fan and tripping the relay??? (Not much of an electrical guy ;-) Will start tracing wires tomorrow and let you know what I find - thanks a bunch guys I really appreciate it.

#9 ·
Update - traced wires directly from fan to fuse box: Only ONE WIRE goes to the relay listed as the primary engine cooling fan on the fuse box!!!! The other wire goes to a secondary relay not listed as the primary cooling fan - betting the secondary one is out thereby tripping the other. Hopefully the fix is replacing BOTH relays. Will let u know........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.