Average maintenance cost for c6 z06??? - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Grandstand
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Average maintenance cost for c6 z06???

So I'm new to this site and I'm in the market for an 06-07 z06 it was a done deal until a buddy told me there ridiculously expensive to maintain. Just looking for some advice on what some current owners are paying to keep there vettes on the road. I'm just a lowly E-5 in the military so I need to know if I can afford this thing. Thanks
KBro-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Tech Advisor

Premium Member
Re: Average maintenance cost for c6 z06???

Your buddy really does not have any experience in owning a Corvette, they are built tough and proof is how many C4s are still on the road as daily drivers with over 120,000 miles on them

Maintenance is cheap, normal oil/fluid changes less then maybe $100 a year at most, if driving less could be less then $50 a year.
Fluids in transmission, rear end, power steering, etc need seldom replacement.
There is no costly special requirements for fluid changes which non American cars do have.
Might use some gas/fuel injector and de-carb cleaner, cheap any part store.

Other then that and if doing some type of track events then look at changing brake pads and of course tire replacements which all cars would require.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

I think you'll find that tires will be your biggest expense. Average tire life on a C6Z seldom exceeds 20,000 miles. Discount Tire just happens to be a supporting vendor of Z06Vette.com. You can search their site for tires that fit the Z and your budget.
itsaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Manufactures have done a great deal to reduce the maintenance cost of cars over the last decade. Beyond routine oil changes you have very little to worry about. On the Corvette you should change oil at least 1 time a year if you do not exceed the mileage recommendations. Dry sump will take more oil but it is not that big a deal. The coolant goes for 5 years or 100,000 miles, there are no lubrication points on the suspension or drive train and other fluids rarely if ever require anything more than a routine check. You will need to cycle the clutch fluid periodically but that is very easy and very inexpensive to do. Air cleaner is nothing terrible to handle as well. Tire wear will be dependent on how hard to drive the car but should go at least 15,000 miles on the soft compound.
I am on my second Z06 and is one of the most reasonable cars to maintain. Keep in mind that it is a high performance vehicle and should command above average attention by the owner but not above average expense. Your friend is really clueless. Go for it.
MiamiCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

KBro-Slice, your "buddy" is probably jealous and couldn't stand the thought of you having a corvette! As said above, it is not a "needy" car in terms of maintenance.
fcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Send a message via AIM to PerforminNorman Send a message via Yahoo to PerforminNorman

How many Corvettes does your buddy own or has he owned? Is he a credible source?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

K-bro,

I echo what these other guys have said. I have owned two vette's and maintenance costs have been virtually non-existent. Tires are the most expensive aspect of owning a vette.
2008 Ducati 1098
DucZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input. And as far as I know he hasn't owned a corvette has a 350z. He's a fairly credible source he knows his cars just wanted to fact check. Sounds like this is a win win, I'm definitely in the market for one.
KBro-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Lifetime Premium Member

I agree with the low maintenance costs. I need to replace the battery in my C6Z every 2-2.5 years due to lack of use in the winter and I don't keep it on a charger. Other than that all is great.
4vettezo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

I have read multiple complaints in my corvette mags in letters to the editor, that many people were only getting 2-5k miles on their rears. I don't have a c6z, sigh, but I've had no problems with mileage myself on the c5z I own. The c6z, now lets be honest, is riddled with problems, and if you have no warranty, you might not be able to afford to drive one. I have seen some on here complaining of problems that should have been covered by the warranty, but weren't.
But that happens. My wife had a 1997 VW Jetta Glx that was 6 months old, and caught fire in the engine bay, from a short, and they refused the warranty.
But, I suggest you get one with a warranty. Apparently, these c6z owners are a little biased. And who could blame them...but, this site will save you money with its info and help and Dyi's. (do it yourself articles) A good time to buy one would be after the c7 has been out for a while. They probably won't dip under 30k for a while, but you might be able to get a beat up, hi mileage, flood or theft recovery c5z for 15k.
Zteve06
blk 02 z06
Austin,Tx

Last edited by zteve06; 01-23-2013 at 07:06 PM.
zteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

"riddled with problems"???
itsaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Send a message via AIM to PerforminNorman Send a message via Yahoo to PerforminNorman

Have owned 2 C5s and 2 C6s and haven't had many problems with any of them. There has been a couple of things but nothing expensive or anything that cost me much at all.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteve06 View Post
I have read multiple complaints in my corvette mags in letters to the editor, that many people were only getting 2-5k miles on their rears. I don't have a c6z, sigh, but I've had no problems with mileage myself on the c5z I own. The c6z, now lets be honest, is riddled with problems, and if you have no warranty, you might not be able to afford to drive one. I have seen some on here complaining of problems that should have been covered by the warranty, but weren't.
But that happens. My wife had a 1997 VW Jetta Glx that was 6 months old, and caught fire in the engine bay, from a short, and they refused the warranty.
But, I suggest you get one with a warranty. Apparently, these c6z owners are a little biased. And who could blame them...but, this site will save you money with its info and help and Dyi's. (do it yourself articles) A good time to buy one would be after the c7 has been out for a while. They probably won't dip under 30k for a while, but you might be able to get a beat up, hi mileage, flood or theft recovery c5z for 15k.
Zteve06
blk 02 z06
Austin,Tx
What? My 06 just rolled over 30k and I've done nothing to it other than tires and fluid changes. The sky is not falling with the C6 Z. My 2cents.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

By riddled, I mean, the c6, in general, I'm not aware of the c6z having more problems than the coupe, except for the fuel system. But I am only reporting my observations. I think anyone could spend some time searching for its problems here, or elsewhere on the web. But, his question was about maintenance, not reliability. My car uses 40 percent of its viscosity after a couple hundred hard miles, or a trip to the dragstrip. So, obviously, maintenance costs vary with use.
But I should think that anyone who owns a corvette, probably has a little money for such things as frequent oil changes or new tires. This guy might just be slamming the car, who knows, we'll see if he buys one.
And a funny thing about cars-one model is a lemon, and another is perfect, though they be the same. So you never know. Sorry if I offended anyone. I love the ls7, but not so much the car.
Zteve06
Blk 02 z06 (purpose built)
Austin,Tx

Last edited by zteve06; 01-23-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Damn auto correct
zteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Z06 Tech Advisor

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteve06 View Post
Zteve06
blk 02 z06
Austin,Tx
Your problem is reading and taking faith in what car rags say when in fact
places like JD power backs up what most Corvette owners know is if the car is treated right and no bogus mods used then

C6

Scorecard

Overall: 9.0
Critics' Rating: 9.3
Performance: 8.9
Exterior: 9.5
Interior: 7.2
Reliability: 9.6
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Grandstand