Average maintenance cost for c6 z06??? - Page 4 - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Grandstand
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #46 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Average maintenance cost for c6 z06???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerforminNorman View Post
The magic words that you used are, "That's my opinion" and that is the truth. Maybe somewhere in your mind, you've paid close attention to posts about C6s having problem so it would justify in your mind why you don't have one. If I think back in memory, I don't see ANY maintainance costs that are much different than any C5 I've owned. I did have an issue with my first C6 as it was an 05 and had a "first year car" glitch. My C6Z had a roof recall. Keep in mind, none of these things has to do with maintainence costs. I'm not exactly sure why you keep taking everything personally but I am surrounded by friends with C5s and C6s and none of us can say we pay a lot or even more than we would on a normal vehicle unless you are taking into the account that we use synthetic oil and have expensive tires. I know you'll come back with something else because you just feel the need. Welcome to the C6Z section, it's where we keep the drama.
Thanks Norman, you're one of the good guys.
Zteve06
zteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #47 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaz View Post
Can you explain the logic here? The two statements seem to contradict each other!
That's pretty much what I'm trying to point out, older cars need more, simply becuz they are old. I put 70k hard miles on my first 02, and all I ever repaired were the power window motors, under warranty. My second z is 11 years old, and starting to fall apart. It currently needs a bcm, new sun visors, a new button for the parking break, the center console is lose, etc....but I do drag race this one, so it's suffering from the abuse.
Zteve06
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #48 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Being a mustang, I would have thought it was the P in POS.

I am going to give zteve06 a break here. Based on other comments he has made, I'm going to chalk up some of the negativity to his health issue. I work with a guy that has a similar condition and when it flares, it brings out the worst.

Speaking to the OP of this thread, you did the right thing by asking us instead of taking the word of your buddy. Our feedback is based on our experiences, our passion for Corvette, and can be somewhat biased. If you decide to buy one, you will find that people either like Corvettes or they hate them. Really it doesn’t matter to most of us how much it cost to maintain our Corvettes because true love has no price tag. I have also found that those that hate them have never owned a Corvette and lack the self-confidence it takes to own one. Simply put, the confidence to own a Corvette is much different than the confidence we have in them.

Like a good marriage, you learn to deal with the imperfections and make the best of what you got. As the old saying goes, if it has wheels or tits, it’s going to cost you money to maintain.

Now if my wife was as cheap to maintain as my Z, I would own two Corvettes. As luck would have it, she is a Mustang lover.

Corvette - Driven to be driven
ZOHBABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #49 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBro-Slice View Post
So I'm new to this site and I'm in the market for an 06-07 z06 it was a done deal until a buddy told me there ridiculously expensive to maintain. Just looking for some advice on what some current owners are paying to keep there vettes on the road. I'm just a lowly E-5 in the military so I need to know if I can afford this thing. Thanks
My '08 Z06 has been one of the lowest costs for maintenance of any car I've owned. Have had dozens of cars since 1952. As itsaz said, the tires are the most expensive items. Of course, alignment, tire pressures, and driving habits all play into how long they last.
attherange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #50 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

ZOHBABY, you have a PM.
itsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerforminNorman View Post
I am surrounded by friends with C5s and C6s and none of us can say we pay a lot or even more than we would on a normal vehicle unless you are taking into the account that we use synthetic oil and have expensive tires.
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Just was trying to see if I was going to have to pay an arm and a leg to replace basic wear and tear parts.
KBro-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #52 (permalink)

I'm not going to track the car any time soon maybe in the future so it won't get best up too bad.
KBro-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #53 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBro-Slice View Post
I'm not going to track the car any time soon maybe in the future so it won't get best up too bad.
Track it as soon as you can afford to. You're missing out on what these cars do best.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #54 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Premium Member

As long as you don't track a C6Z06, and don't drive hard when the oil is not hot, you will have a very low cost vehicle.

I personally think, mile for track mile, the C6 can stand with any car for hard driving costs too, but for brakes and tires.
zeta08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #55 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

[quote=zteve06;1369499]
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingvette View Post
No your mistake was being a Ford owner, now that answers that so called CAI design you have mucked up on C5.

Better than being a sheep and buying whatever Cai people tell you to.
Zteve06
Edit, last time I looked, my roof was still on the car
My fuel system isn't leaking, my tires are like new four years on, etc,etc,etc...
Ok, P car = Pony car, (not in the sports car world)
I don't recall any one ever mentioning fuel leaks
New 4 year old tires? Do you drive the thing? Maybe we've discovered why you don't have any maintenance issues?
And WTF does Cai people mean.

(I really just posted to see what nonsense you will come up with next)
Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #56 (permalink)
Administrator

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxz10 View Post

'Cai' as in cold air intake. I think he was referencing previous discussions on different intakes.

I'm hesitant to weigh in here as in appears the discussion is quite heated...and everyone knows how much I avoid arguments.

However, I own both the C5Z and the C6Z and frankly haven't found either to be any more 'maintenence intensive' than the other.

These are my 5th and 6th Corvette's and the biggest expense I've seen is tires and modding (although the tire issue may be a bit self imposed )

I think zteve06 has read more articles about C6Z problems then about C5Z problems and thus figures into his opinion. I can't agree with him on this anymore than I can agree with his opinion that others who have posted on this thread have been dishonest in their attempt to paint a biased picture of the C6Z for the OP.

I stand back a few yards and I CAN see where someone might get the opinion that the C6Z has more issues just because the posts on the C6 are newer and fresher in our minds.

Anyway, my reply to the OP would be that 2 major issues affect the maintenence costs for the C6Z he is considering.

The first is how hard it was run and how well it was taken care of by the previous owner/s.
The second is how hard he plans on running the Z. Let's not kid ourselves, ANY car with a hi-po engine can create more maintence issues and more problems if it is run hard and put away wet.

Lastly, we'd be mistaken if we didn't point out that vendors have a tendency to add a 'Vette Premium' for parts and service. You CAN expect to pay a little more for that new alternator for the Vette than you would for the Stang or Accord.
Deal breaker? Not in my opinion, but it does factor in.

Mike

2002 Procharged (F1-C) 427LSX 821rwhp/751rwtq
9.87 at 141mph & 2007 Black C6 Z06
Vette Magazine article
1/4 mile pass
MikesZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #57 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ06 View Post
I'm hesitant to weigh in here as in appears the discussion is quite heated...and everyone knows how much I avoid arguments.

Mike

itsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #58 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

[QUOTE=wtxz10;1369532][quote=zteve06;1369499]
New 4 year old tires? Do you drive the thing? Maybe we've discovered why you don't have any maintenance issues?
i bought these ps'2 before going to z06 fest in 2010, put 2k miles on them there and back, drag raced there, and got into drag racing, i have put 10k miles on them and been to the dragstrip over 50 times since then with these tires. i also run twistys here in austin, as well as any where else, and ill be participating in a track day at the new COTA track here, an f1 track, with these tires, mileage has been outstanding. my z even with a cam has almost 100 less ft lbs of torque than the c6z, thats what tears up the tires.
****edited****
Personal Attacks
You have a PM!
zteve06
edit--it should be noted that i dont do standing burnouts, ever, and they arent exactly new, they have drag rubber residue all over them

Last edited by itsaz; 01-26-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: disrespect is unfortunate
Old 01-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #59 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Do you have a valid point to make or are you just passing time because you have nothing better to do?
fcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #60 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteve06 View Post
P usually refers to pony, pony cars are how mustangs are referred to, I thought you just didn't want to say it.
Zteve06
Nope. P-car = Porch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Grandstand