Baby seats ? - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Grandstand
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Baby seats ?

I have a boy on the way in Nov

Any of you guys have a little one & a baby seat in your Z ?

which model ? any pics ?

Thanks
LeMans Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Re: Baby seats ?

Hello there,

I remember there's been baby-seat threads before, so you might want to search for them... But I seem to remember pretty much everybody agreeing that infant seats (the ones facing back) don't belong in a Corvette... I'd personally wait until he's at least 2 years old.

I took my son a few times in my C5 Z06 with a baby seat (facing front, inclined a fair bit). Don't know about C6's, but C5's do have 1 hook about 2 feet behind the passenger seat, so you can pass the vertical strap over the seat, and then use the seat belt to keep the baby seat from moving left/right. Most cars nowadays have 2 hooks around where the seatbelt attachments are, but C5's don't have that and it's a shame.

Anyway, hope this helps

Geoff
Old 07-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Z06 Master

I don't have one I can recommend, but congrats on the little one that's coming. :guiness:
Old 07-23-2008, 05:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Thanks, I just got him a few of these

very sexy

LeMans Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Congratulations on the anticipated arrival!
I'm long past car seats, but noticed that Simpson has one out.
Google "Simpson Child Car Safety Seat" :idea:
Available thru SafeRacer and Pegasus

^VIR Turn 6 '10^-MungoZ06-'03 QS/ModRed - NCCC, NASA NCM Member - Z06 Fest IV,V,VI,VII
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Lifetime Premium Member

I don't have a Z06 yet, I'm working on it, but here's a few things that I've learned about baby seats and car seats since we had our son who is 4 now.

Baby seats are the contraption you'll be carrying your child around in until they're at least 1ish. Baby seats are rear facing and were the airbag to go off for some reason the result could be catastrophic. (Ours was a Peg Perrigo.) Most new cars have hooks for something called the "Latch" system that provide dual anchor points for a baby seat but I've no idea if your Corvette has these.

The transition seat, something akin to a baby seat but larger and designed for a child to sit up in, is front facing but the airbag issue is still a problem. Most seats like this are for kids 28" high and about 30 lbs and have a wide base with large side flanges for side impact protection. (Ours was a Britax.)

Finally the last seat is a booster. These start off with a bottom and a back but then, as your child gets older and larger, the back's removed and it's just the bottom by itself. Safety advocates stress using one until the child is 10 years old or 100 lbs. We're not there yet so we use the whole rig. (Again a Britax.)

The point to remember is that none of these seats are really meant for being used in a front seat except for a Booster with older kids. I'm with Jofu on this. I've a Miata that our son has only just recently gotten to ride in and that's with a disabled airbag, low traffic time, booster seat. I've explained to him that he won't get to ride in it regularly until he's older all along and he understands that he has to be a "big boy" to do so.

If you have to use your Corvette for transportation make sure you can disable/turn off the airbag. The airbag is the number one reason why you don't want to put kids in a front seat in a new car.

Most states have laws covering the particulars about this sort of the thing and you'll want to have a look at that to see what they say.

I looked at the Simpson seat that DennyM mentioned. It's very similar to our Britax booster. (Might even be the same just renamed.) The odds are you won't be using something like this for a while.

Congratulations though. If you thought your car was your baby just wait until you hold your son or daughter for the first time...

Best,

Jim

Last edited by Jack's Dad; 07-23-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

You're joking right? By LAW babies MUST be in a rear facing car seat in the BACK seat! And you have an air bag in the front that could kill the baby if you were in an accident. Use a minivan and save your child's life.
JtownZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

I have a new one on the way also. I will be putting her in the new Z for pics and probably on the Harley too. So if I hand it off to her when she's older I think the comparision pics will be priceless. But I spent twenty years as a police officer and have seen alot of horrible accidents. The vettes don't do well especially side impacts. I also buy auction and salvage cars and the corvettes aren't pretty after an accicent, actually scary. I have driven corvettes anyway for 23 yrs. Take pics but leave the baby out of the vette when driving. It is a plastic, carbon fiber, fiberglass car! Just my two cents take it or leave it.
seamus2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans Blue View Post
Thanks, I just got him a few of these

very sexy

Way to go.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus2154 View Post
But I spent twenty years as a police officer and have seen alot of horrible accidents. The vettes don't do well especially side impacts. I also buy auction and salvage cars and the corvettes aren't pretty after an accicent, actually scary. I have driven corvettes anyway for 23 yrs. Take pics but leave the baby out of the vette when driving. It is a plastic, carbon fiber, fiberglass car!
While what you say might be true (probably is about side impact, I wouldn't know!), surely you'll agree that a car's body panel, plastic fiber glass or metal, isn't what saves you in a car accident!

Considering Corvettes (C5 and up) have a pretty decent (tube?) frame, I thought it would do quite well especially in frontal and rear impacts, but also thought side impacts would be at least decent :( What usually happens when a side impact occurs? Does the frame collapse in any way? Or is it just a matter of not being so well kept in place due to the seats, and then getting injured (or killed) with sudden jerking of the head?

Oh, sorry OP for the thread hijacking But hopefully it's somewhat relevent to babies in a vette

Geoff
Old 07-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Z06 Member

Everything said thus far has been on point. Regarding safety, the '03 and '04 model year Corvettes had a switch located in the glove compartment that deactivated the passenger airbag. On the C6 generation, there are sensors that determine the weight of the passenger. If the passenger is heavy enough, the airbag is activated, if not it remains shut off.

I currently have a 9 and 7 year old. The 7 year old will be out of his booster soon, but both have been enjoying the Corvettes with me since they were two years old.

Congrats on the new addition!
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtownZ06 View Post
You're joking right? By LAW babies MUST be in a rear facing car seat in the BACK seat! And you have an air bag in the front that could kill the baby if you were in an accident. Use a minivan and save your child's life.
Incorrect. Most state laws only require the car seat to be in the rear if there is a rear seat available.

As far as your "safety requires a minivan" lecture goes, despite the drama and fuss around the topic, very few kids actually die in car accidents. The current statistics are something like 900 USA kids under age 7 per year. That's less than 3 kids per day in the entire country. Your child is statistically WAY more likely to die of cancer, drowning, or choking than by riding in the Vette. Most of us on this forum grew up riding in the front seat with no car seats at all and are here to tell about it. Just use a car seat and drive with care when Junior is aboard!
jdemeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
While what you say might be true (probably is about side impact, I wouldn't know!), surely you'll agree that a car's body panel, plastic fiber glass or metal, isn't what saves you in a car accident!

Considering Corvettes (C5 and up) have a pretty decent (tube?) frame, I thought it would do quite well especially in frontal and rear impacts, but also thought side impacts would be at least decent :( What usually happens when a side impact occurs? Does the frame collapse in any way? Or is it just a matter of not being so well kept in place due to the seats, and then getting injured (or killed) with sudden jerking of the head?

Oh, sorry OP for the thread hijacking But hopefully it's somewhat relevent to babies in a vette

Geoff
JOFU..I live in the same fantasy world trying to believe the vette must be a safe car w/ such a good frame and all the technology these days. Without getting too crazy lets look at where the frame is...low. Most cars that would be impacting the side would ride over the frame go thru the door and put you on the other side...probably dead. Like I mentioned I have seen alot of these cars mangled along with many other makes. Front ,rear, and side not the best car to take to an accident. I have seen some suv's, Mercedes and BMW's that I thought held up great to a serious impact. I also have a 9 yr old that rides in my C6Z and he loves it. I drive w/ him in mind still knowing that you don't always see or can prevent an accident. That's why it's called an accident. And the panels are part of the whole structure of the car. I love the vette and have driven one for 23 yrs. But have no doubt they aren't safe in comparision to most other cars but thats not what I bought it for. I'm happy that it's safer than years ago and has AH/TC and anti lock brks and airbags. All of those will help in a "normal " accident but not a big accident trust me. I'm just passing on the reality of what I've seen, not trying to be a downer just a realist. For the 1st formative years of a kid, you can't beat a full size car, Oh and by the way I will say the Volvo holds up like no car I've seen.Take a trip to an insurance yard if you can you may be surprised.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus2154 View Post
JOFU..I live in the same fantasy world trying to believe the vette must be a safe car w/ such a good frame and all the technology these days. Without getting too crazy lets look at where the frame is...low. Most cars that would be impacting the side would ride over the frame go thru the door and put you on the other side...probably dead. Like I mentioned I have seen alot of these cars mangled along with many other makes. Front ,rear, and side not the best car to take to an accident. I have seen some suv's, Mercedes and BMW's that I thought held up great to a serious impact. I also have a 9 yr old that rides in my C6Z and he loves it. I drive w/ him in mind still knowing that you don't always see or can prevent an accident. That's why it's called an accident. And the panels are part of the whole structure of the car. I love the vette and have driven one for 23 yrs. But have no doubt they aren't safe in comparision to most other cars but thats not what I bought it for. I'm happy that it's safer than years ago and has AH/TC and anti lock brks and airbags. All of those will help in a "normal " accident but not a big accident trust me. I'm just passing on the reality of what I've seen, not trying to be a downer just a realist. For the 1st formative years of a kid, you can't beat a full size car, Oh and by the way I will say the Volvo holds up like no car I've seen.Take a trip to an insurance yard if you can you may be surprised.
Cool, thanks for the info! Yeah, I always heard Volvo's are quite good in crashes, but didn't know if it was still true nowadays. Although I'm sorry to say I'll never choose one of those over a vette

Geoff
Old 07-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
Cool, thanks for the info! Yeah, I always heard Volvo's are quite good in crashes, but didn't know if it was still true nowadays. Although I'm sorry to say I'll never choose one of those over a vette

I hear ya!!! The best I do is the 07 GMC p/u for all of us and the Z is for me!!! LOL Jim
Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Grandstand