Dealer Overfilled Oil (11 QT)! help. - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Dealer Overfilled Oil (11 QT)! help.

Hi guys,

New Z owner here and could use some advice. I just purchased an '08 Z06 with 14k miles today and in the course of inspecting it, i noticed a bunch of oil on the bottom of the sump where the drain plugs are. It turns out the gentleman I bought it from had taken it to the dealer for an oil change and they filled it with 11qts of oil! Said it right on the dealer invoice. crap. I had flown down to buy and drive the car back. The owner had not noticed anything and had driven the car about 200 miles already without noticing anything wrong. He even got it smogged during that time.
Anyway, We drained the excess oil (did't look like 3 qt--maybe 1.5) and got the level back to the middle hole on the dipstick using the proper oil checking procedure. We cleaned up the oil and i drove the car 300 miles home with the agreement that I would have it checked out by a dealer here for any damage. The Z runs fine, no smoke or weird stuff. I jacked it up when i got home and no further oil was on the sump.

Do you guys think any long term damage could have been done? I'm not familiar with the dry sump system but I'm trying to figure out where the oil on the bottom of the engine came from in the first place. is there a vent or overflow up there? could maybe a seal have blown out?

No new oil has leaked so it's a bit of a mystery. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2372.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	11378  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Re: Dealer Overfilled Oil (11 QT)! help.

We have seen this 1000 times unfortunately. It still amazes me that oil changers, with so many different procedures, don't check for each car. You will be a lucky one as it was overfilled by so little, and you should be fine from past experiences. This happens to second owners a lot as in 2009 they increased the capacity to 10.5 qts. So 2006-2008 guys have a lower capacity and need to be involved in their oil changes to make sure they are done right. Be happy as many have had idiots change their oil and only remove the one drain plug leaving a lot of oil still in there, then they pump 10-11 quarts into the system on top of that. Then real trouble happens upon start up. I think you dodged a bullet with so little being overfilled. At least they drained both drain plugs, or you would have a different ending! Good luck and enjoy the car!

Get familiar with the procedure, how to check after warm, it is not checked cold as most cars, and YOUR capacity which is less. The dry sump is a different.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:24 PM

Hope you got it sorted out. Same thing happened to me when I bought mine a couple weeks back. I already had a Harbor Freight transfer pump so I just sucked it out of the filler tank.. No more gurgling sounds

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 01:36 AM

I personally change the oil in all of my vehicles. I just don't trust others to do it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:18 PM

Very nice looking car btw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Grandstand