GM response to failing LS7 engines - Page 2 - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Grandstand
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #16 (permalink)

Re: GM response to failing LS7 engines

Can someone lay it out simply and directly for me?

Is there a way to identify the motors affected?

I have a 3 year warrenty (GM/Chevrolet do not offer extended warrenty in the Middle East) that expires in March 2013, if the engine lets go after this date will GM cover the work?
TobyLaRohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #17 (permalink)

Location: Yuma, Az. ?????? Z06 Fest IV, V, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII & Winterfest 1,2,3 & 4
Lifetime Premium Member

Probably not covered after the warranty expires.

Since the batch of bad heads has been used for multiple years, it probably would be impossible to identify what engines they went on.

The problem is that not all of the heads were bad, probably sloppy qa or none at all at the cylinder head supplier let some of the bad ones into the supply chain.

Sig by GR8 White (modified by Speedratchet)
2004 MS/BLK
Still retired out in the middle of nowhere.
YumaZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZZ061 View Post
Hello all,

LS7 Valve guide issue summary:
• Affects a small, number of '08, 09 ’10 and ’11 Z06’s
• GM discovered the condition through our cylinder head warranty data involving a very small percentage of our vehicles.
• Through inspection of returned heads, it was determined that a machining error in the valve guide had occurred at our head supplier.
The quality issue has been contained as of Feb 2011 with 100% inspection of all heads.• The most common customer complaint has been excessive valve train noise.
However if the condition is not addressed, it could result in engine failure. To date, where this condition has been observed, it has occurred early in the vehicle life.
What customers need to know: They should drive and enjoy their vehicles without fear. If their car demonstrates this condition, they are likely to hear unusual valvetrain noise first. If you have a concern regarding this issue on your personal vehicle feel free to contact me through private message on this forum and we will work to assist in resolving your concern. Feel free to contact me through Socialmedia@gm.com please put attention Evan in the subject. As always, vehicles that have modifications to the powertrain or the calibrations, are no longer covered by GM's warranty.

Sincerely,
Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
That statement in bold is a bit laughable as there are already documented valve failures and excessive guide wear reports on new motors/heads with production dates after that Feb 2011 cutoff.
MTPZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Do not let this discourage anyone from buying a Z06. I had the same problem, and couldn't be happier with the response I received from GM. GM stands behind its product, and it is still a great company with tremendous bang for the buck products. I still have the Z, and couldn't imagine trading it for anything else!!! This article, on its face, is proof that GM is still going the extra mile to keep its customers happy.
2006 Honda Civic Si

Last edited by MikesZ06; 12-26-2012 at 08:10 AM.
DucZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

Hmmm, I have been trying to track down a ticking sound that I thought was detonation only happening in 3rd and 4th over 3500 rpm...possibly from bad gas. Might be time to it to the dealer.
PG45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
Z06 Member

I felt rather stupid, had a ticking sound as well. My car is undercover for the winter, and I've been dealing with a sporadic battery (hooked up to life support too), as well as the ticking.

I contacted the dealership last week concerning the battery, a tech came to my house Friday (small town, friendly dealer) with a new battery (car is still under warranty). He installed the battery, car fired immediately, and then asked him about ticking....he found a spark plug that was arcing as the cover was not pressed all the way down.

Both problems solved, hurrah!
Bullettrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullettrain View Post
a tech came to my house Friday
A tech came to your house...? That is awesome. Maybe I need to move to Wyoming.
2006 Honda Civic Si
DucZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #23 (permalink)
Z06 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucZ06 View Post
A tech came to your house...? That is awesome. Maybe I need to move to Wyoming.
A real live service tech....they asked me to bring the car in, I told them it was in winter mode...going nowhere. A tech was at my house less than two hours later, installed the battery, identified the ticking sound & rectified the problem...no charge.

Sometimes a small town isn't such a bad thing.
Bullettrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Lifetime Premium Member

I have a '07 Z06 that had an engine failure ( rod through the engine block) while I was traveling to work. Denied warranty work due to my trying a tuner to see if it would help gas mileage/performance. I saw no difference...took off the program and a month after took off, the engine failed. Blamed it on tuner. BS! I still have old engine and need assistance to recoup the 17k + I had to shell out to replace short block only. Told by many that this could not cause catastrophic failure but GM held fast on their position. I'm not giving up but I need a lot of help. Anyone?
Z06 Fire Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucZ06 View Post
Do not let this discourage anyone from buying a Z06. I had the same problem, and couldn't be happier with the response I received from GM. GM stands behind its product, and it is still a great company with tremendous bang for the buck products. I still have the Z, and couldn't imagine trading it for anything else!!! This article, on its face, is proof that GM is still going the extra mile to keep its customers happy.
I congratulate you on such a favorable outcome.

My experience was just the opposite. My showroom-stock 2006 Z06, with a bit over 38,000 miles, was found to have defective valve guides. Since my original 3/36 warranty (2006 warranties were only 3/36) had expired 2009, Chevy took the position that any repair costs were mine to bear. $4,000 later, out of my pocket, I have re-worked heads with stainless steel exhaust valves and bronze guides which I hope will last considerably longer than the OEM junk Chevy installed at the factory. It was my good fortune that the defective guides were detected before I dropped a valve, lest my repair bill would have been considerably more - some say as much as $17,000 for a new engine.

At any rate, based on my experience, I must take strong exception to anyone who says that GM stands behind their product. As far as I am concerned, with few exceptions, GM has essentially abandoned the C6 Z06 owner community.

They ought to be ashamed. I tell my story at every opportunity, and you can bet I'll never again buy GM. But then again, GM doesn't care either way.
clogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #26 (permalink)
Administrator

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clogan View Post

My experience was just the opposite. My showroom-stock 2006 Z06, with a bit over 38,000 miles, was found to have defective valve guides. Since my original 3/36 warranty (2006 warranties were only 3/36) had expired 2009, Chevy took the position that any repair costs were mine to bear. $4,000 later, out of my pocket, I have re-worked heads with stainless steel exhaust valves and bronze guides which I hope will last considerably longer than the OEM junk Chevy installed at the factory. It was my good fortune that the defective guides were detected before I dropped a valve, lest my repair bill would have been considerably more - some say as much as $17,000 for a new engine.

At any rate, based on my experience, I must take strong exception to anyone who says that GM stands behind their product. As far as I am concerned, with few exceptions, GM has essentially abandoned the C6 Z06 owner community.

They ought to be ashamed. I tell my story at every opportunity, and you can bet I'll never again buy GM. But then again, GM doesn't care either way.
Yea, the time frame of the warranty shouldn't be a factor. Who cares about legal contracts and such.
GM should ignore their own contract and fix any repairs whatsoever, no matter the type or how long you've owned your car or whether the warranty has expired or whatever. In fact, all manufacturers of every type of product should fix any problems, no matter how they were caused on any product they've ever produced, even if it was made 100 years ago.

I'm glad you tell your story every chance you get but perhaps you should live in the real world where real people reside

Mike
MikesZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ06 View Post
Yea, the time frame of the warranty shouldn't be a factor. Who cares about legal contracts and such.
GM should ignore their own contract and fix any repairs whatsoever, no matter the type or how long you've owned your car or whether the warranty has expired or whatever. In fact, all manufacturers of every type of product should fix any problems, no matter how they were caused on any product they've ever produced, even if it was made 100 years ago.

I'm glad you tell your story every chance you get but perhaps you should live in the real world where real people reside

Mike
Mike:
Let me guess...you work for Chevy, right? How else can you defend the perhaps hundreds of dropped valves, and perhaps thousands of other LS7s with defective guides, that are getting ready to fail?

You sound like a corporate shill, my friend. Here's hoping that, if you indeed own an LS7, that you never have a catastrophic failure due to GM's lack of quality control in their LS7 cylinder head sourcing. Otherwise, you just may find that you change that silly little tune you are singing.
clogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #28 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:
Mike:
Let me guess...you work for Chevy, right? How else can you defend the perhaps hundreds of dropped valves, and perhaps thousands of other LS7s with defective guides, that are getting ready to fail?

You sound like a corporate shill, my friend. Here's hoping that, if you indeed own an LS7, that you never have a catastrophic failure due to GM's lack of quality control in their LS7 cylinder head sourcing. Otherwise, you just may find that you change that silly little tune you are singing.
First of all, sorry to hear about your engine problems and expenses. That definitely sucks.

There seems to be 3 issues here: the warranty (or specifically, your interpretation there of), product quality control, and customer service response.

1. If your issue is with the warranty, I have to agree with Mike. No automotive company (that I'm aware of) will warranty a car forever with no conditions attached. It seems reasonable to me that a company's liability ends after the [contracted and agreed upon] warranty period is up.

When you bought your car, I assume you were fully aware of the terms and conditions of the warranty, right? What did you think would happen after the warranty expired? Furthermore, why didn't you buy an extended GMPP warranty (although I guess that doesn't really matter now anyway)?

2. If your issue is with GM quality control - that it should be improved - then I wholeheartedly agree with you. But what can you do? You bought a car from a company that's known for being cheap and cutting corners. All you can do is accept this fact and move on to another brand next time. Maybe you'll have better luck. Then again...who knows?

3. Lastly, if your issue is with customer service, I do believe that GM is sincerely trying to work with current C6Z owners. What would be an acceptable response in your mind? Do they owe you a new engine?

It's my experience that certain customers really do believe that "the customer is always right", even when they clearly are not. Btw, you've been "abandoned"? Little dramatic, don't you think?

C6Z owners are the whiniest group of Corvette owners I've ever seen. First, they complained about the introduction of the ZR1, essentially trumping the C6 Z06. "How could GM do this to us!", they said. "I thought I was buying the BEST Corvette EVER!" Apparently GM didn't care about you then either.

Then it was the C6 Grand Sport wide body debacle. Oh the humanity.

Now we've apparently reached the point where, "standing behind your product", means providing an unlimited warranty for the life of the car. Yeah, OK.

Last edited by vant; 02-05-2013 at 11:06 AM.
vant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Administrator

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Mike:

Yes, of course I do. In fact I am the CEO for GM and in my spare time I moderate this site just so I can "corporate shill" for GM

I'm not defending dropped valves numbnuts, I'm talking about your "GM has essentially abandoned the C6 Z06 owner community" nonsense because GM won't fix your car out of warranty.

Do I wish GM had a little more quality control from time to time...yes. They are not perfect by any means nor is the C5Z or the C6Z. I accept the fact that there are going to be things that I dislike and wish were different but I don't dramatically denounce them as the devil god abandoning all of humanity right before the planet explodes.

Do I take personal responsibility for my actions and not automatically blame a 'corporation' every time the wind blows out of the north...yes.

Do I have a C6Z with an LS7 engine...yes.

but....thanks for sharing

Mike

2002 Procharged (F1-C) 427LSX 821rwhp/751rwtq
9.87 at 141mph & 2007 Black C6 Z06
Vette Magazine article
1/4 mile pass
MikesZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
Z06 Tech Advisor

Premium Member

Quote:

I might have felt for you until I read your post 1 year ago and the damage you did then and your praise for GM when it looks like you did the damage on beating the piss out of the Z06 which would answer your claims today
Seems you got away with it last time and are pissed GM looked at your past repair claims.

If a part is built with bad quality as to valve part it would fail far sooner then 7 years later and looking at your biker claims of speed if push comes to shove your causing the failures and not the design

People read this and then the one from today and I suspect you would side with GM.

problems with your c6 z06 so far

Last edited by racingvette; 02-05-2013 at 05:18 PM.
racingvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Grandstand