GM response to failing LS7 engines - Page 3 - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Grandstand
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #31 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Lifetime Premium Member
Re: GM response to failing LS7 engines

A friend with a 55 Chevy has a little rust. I should recommend he blame GM and see if they will fix it. Oddly, this has never occurred to him.
XFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #32 (permalink)

Guys, I have a thread going under "noise from engine"
Noise from engine

turns out my valve guides were the problem all along.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #33 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Members, I have a growing concern, having been through the engine failure process myself, that those of you who have not had the joy of experiencing the problem seem to think that LS7 failure is nothing more than an urban legend. Luckily, GM and I were able to join hands and sing kumbaya in the end, but it seems that this forum is gaining a troubling skepticism towards the fact that there are some known problems with our engines, particularly regarding the valve springs, rocker arms, and rocker arm bearings.

I agree with all of you that GM is not, and should not, be under any responsibility to fix failures that are outside of warranty, but come on, let's try to be a little more supportive of those that are going through engine problems. I guarantee you that as the miles stack up on the LS7's, we are going to hear more and more stories of failures. My advice is that everyone should do a little bit of preventative maintenance and replace their valve springs at 25k.

That being said, I welcome all brothers and sisters that are having engine problems. There are some folks on this forum with a considerable wealth pf knowledge that will be of great assistance to others in a time of need. The LS7, is in my opinion, the greatest V8 of this generation, yes the 4.5 liter from the Ferrari 458 included, but just like all engines, it has some points that could be improved. Now let's rally around our brothers and sisters and support them.
2008 Ducati 1098
DucZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #34 (permalink)
Administrator

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucZ06 View Post
Members, I have a growing concern, having been through the engine failure process myself, that those of you who have not had the joy of experiencing the problem seem to think that LS7 failure is nothing more than an urban legend. Luckily, GM and I were able to join hands and sing kumbaya in the end, but it seems that this forum is gaining a troubling skepticism towards the fact that there are some known problems with our engines, particularly regarding the valve springs, rocker arms, and rocker arm bearings.

I agree with all of you that GM is not, and should not, be under any responsibility to fix failures that are outside of warranty, but come on, let's try to be a little more supportive of those that are going through engine problems. I guarantee you that as the miles stack up on the LS7's, we are going to hear more and more stories of failures. My advice is that everyone should do a little bit of preventative maintenance and replace their valve springs at 25k.

That being said, I welcome all brothers and sisters that are having engine problems. There are some folks on this forum with a considerable wealth pf knowledge that will be of great assistance to others in a time of need. The LS7, is in my opinion, the greatest V8 of this generation, yes the 4.5 liter from the Ferrari 458 included, but just like all engines, it has some points that could be improved. Now let's rally around our brothers and sisters and support them.
My concern is a bit different....

My concern is that perhaps someone is not reading entire posts and thinks that this so-called "non support" has to do with not acknowledging some LS7 engine issues, including valve issues.

If someone points out that car manufacturers, including GM, are unlikely to provide free parts and service for cars out of warranty, I don't see that as non acknowledgement of certain defects that have shown up in several cars nor do I see that as viewing said problems as "urban legends".

My concern is that someone who posts that GM doesn't give a damn about anyone and will never buy a GM product again may be considered by some as a 'brother or sister' in need of support.

...but that's just me.

Mike
MikesZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #35 (permalink)
Z06 Tech Advisor

Premium Member

To conclude or even assume claimed design failures some first has to look at said failures and remove all those where

1. LS7 was abused
2. improper shifting
3. crap mods
4. hacked tunes
5. Wrong type of oil used ( see it here and elsewhere where others tell owners to not use Mobil I )
6. improper maintenance and oil levels.
7. etc

Point being lots of claims and if "don't care" of all the above then that would leave valid failure points fairly low.

What we do know is for the first time starting with LS7 is GM had to put in writing that if PCM is tuned then take a hike which says they see most failures as to the hacks and mods which clouds what the real failure rate is

Add the hype from changing valve springs often to All LS7s having bad rockers only confuses even more what the real failure rate is and GM cannot get that when most LS7 failures were due to crap mods and tunes to prevent getting the true Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) rate

If the heads flaw was real high GM would not be selling LS7 as crate engines and now using it for 2014 Camaro Z28

Quote:

Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #36 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ06 View Post
My concern is a bit different....

My concern is that someone who posts that GM doesn't give a damn about anyone and will never buy a GM product again may be considered by some as a 'brother or sister' in need of support.

...but that's just me.

Mike
Ha- I see your point Mike. I guess I should say that my post was referencing those folks who post in good faith with legitimate questions, not those that are just looking to trash the product or the company.

Actually, I have to confess...I thought I was responding to a different post..I thought it was the one where the guy blew his head gasket power shifting. So apologies for my confusion, a few to many beers and too much time will do that to me. If nothing else, it seems like the posting has been a little bit slow lately, so let's just rack it up to me trying to spice things up.
2008 Ducati 1098
Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #37 (permalink)
Administrator

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
If nothing else, it seems like the posting has been a little bit slow lately, so let's just rack it up to me trying to spice things up.
Yep, I can certainly live with that!

:1_thanks:

Mike
MikesZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #38 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Any of you "suckers" who bought an LS7 powered car should dump them for pennies on the dollar. Please PM me to dump your POS car!!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #39 (permalink)
Z06 Master

So I started following the "valve guide wear" chronicle a while back, then lost interest since I don't own an LS7 engine. Is GM still being strategically vague about this issue? Or have they issued an official recommendation for those owners out of warranty? Something like, "this is what you should replace...".

I guess it's not in their best interest to do that, is it? That would be like admitting there was a problem in the first place. And I really don't think they want to open themselves up to further liability.

I certainly understand how this can be a frustrating situation for C6Z owners.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #40 (permalink)

Let's get to the bottom line. How can you definitely tell if you have a valve guide problem. Other than hearing a ticking noise which could be from another source is there a way to check for this? I'm looking for a test that may be something like taking off the valve spring retainer and spring and checking play between the stem and guide.

Last edited by mxvette; 02-15-2013 at 12:25 PM.
mxvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #41 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxvette View Post
Let's get to the bottom line. How can you definitely tell if you have a valve guide problem. Other than hearing a ticking noise which could be from another source is there a way to check for this? I'm looking for a test that may be something like taking off the valve spring retainer and spring and checking play between the stem and guide.
Ticking is one of the indicators there is a problem. Another pull all the spark plugs and check for oil around the the threads. If the valve is moving beyond specs. the valve stem seal will leak oil past it and show up on the plug threads. You really need to check all the plugs as some may not show the problem. But the sure test is take it someone and check the valve movement with a dial indicator or similar tool.

PS Mine is an early production date 2008 with 19K miles. Had the valve guides checked today and they are all within tolerance. So not all are bad as some are trying to say on the other forum. But for peace of mind, I recommended checking them.

Last edited by lar66bb; 02-16-2013 at 08:50 AM.
lar66bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #42 (permalink)

Hi guys, I just dropped my 2008 Z06 off at a dealership here in Phoenix for this issue (I think.) The sound started abruptly last Tuesday and the car got promptly garaged. I finally got a chance to take it in this morning and the dealership pretty much went straight to the valve train. When I came back to grab my garage remote, the mechanics had the left valve cover off of the engine and had pulled the number 6 rockers off. The service advisor guy told me that they would more-than-likely pull and rebuild both heads and possibly change the camshaft. I bought the car used and bone stock, with 9800 miles on it and it had approximately 18,400 miles on it when this problem manifested. The only modification to the vehicle is a Calloway Honker CAI. To make this reply relevant to the thread's title, I have to say that so far at least, the dealership seems to be working with me and I'll report back on the outcome. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and no warranty or other issues develop.
davidpbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:30 AM   #43 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Please keep us posted as to what they find as the root cause. I suspect you have a set of the bad heads.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar66bb View Post
Please keep us posted as to what they find as the root cause. I suspect you have a set of the bad heads.
Yep, will do!
davidpbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #45 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpbj View Post
The only modification to the vehicle is a Calloway Honker CAI. To make this reply relevant to the thread's title, I have to say that so far at least, the dealership seems to be working with me and I'll report back on the outcome. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and no warranty or other issues develop.
Please keep us posted. With only a Honker intake you should be okay regarding warranty issues. If you have any problems, please do not hesitate to PM me.
2008 Ducati 1098
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Grandstand