ANNOYING C6 Z06 low rpm clutch rattle - Page 3 - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Pit Road
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #31 (permalink)

Re: ANNOYING C6 Z06 low rpm clutch rattle

the marbles in the can where first brought in 93 with the T56 in camaros (I take it the 92 vette had it too?). But anyways, T56 cars all have it from that time to today.
mirage2991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #32 (permalink)

It still exists in the 6060 transmission introduced in 08. I don't even notice it anymore.
2009 Blade Silver Metallic Z06 - 2LZ, Halltech Killer Bee and Beehive, Corsa X-Pipe, M2W, CAGS Defeat, Elite Engineering Insulated Tunnel Plate, CCA Catch Can, PAL, Extensive Sound Insulation, HID Fog Lights, Total LED light conversion, Boston Acoustic Speaker Upgrades, and more to come
diverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #33 (permalink)
Z06 Senior Member

Guys, This is a torsional noise coming from the tranny, The tranny is in the back and the torque tube comes off the bellhousing and spins, so the gears in the tranny start hammering back in forth as it idles, The clutch plate has spring that is trying to soften this hammering back in forth but isnt good enough. If you could imagine a clock second hand moving a click at a time, then imagine if you could video the back of a flywheel with a camera and slow it down as slow as the discovery channel does when showing you how a plant grows, every time a piston fires it moves the flywheel a "click at a time" then the torque tubes moves like that also and then the gears hammer JUST LIKE THAT!!!. It is called torsional vibration. It has been around for years, With the tranny in the rear and the torque tube spinning it adds to the problem. When people install a wild cam and then a lighter flywheel all hells breaks loose and the gears hammer like crap and the splines on the input shaft wear out quicker also.

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, WHOOBANG,WHOOBANG
22655TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #34 (permalink)

...except the torque tube does not rotate...the drive shaft is...and the gears on each shafts inside of the transmission as well as the syncros have some inherent play into them, which translates into rattles...
mirage2991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #35 (permalink)
Z06 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage2991 View Post
...except the torque tube does not rotate...the drive shaft is...and the gears on each shafts inside of the transmission as well as the syncros have some inherent play into them, which translates into rattles...
WORDY WORDY.
The point I was making was that the DRIVESHAFT turns and is always turning with clutch out, that is adding to the rotating mass that is set in motion with the piston firing pulses that are hammer the gears back and forth, The heavier flywheel and larger heavier DRIVESHAFT along with a better spring damper clutch disc that I installed got rid of most of my rattling. I have a .667 lift cam with large duration and it was destroying my tranny at idle. but now
it is quiet.

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, WHOOBANG,WHOOBANG
22655TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #36 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
With your car in the air you can see the rubber grommets with the muffler hangers in them. That holds your muffles onto the rear frame cross member just above the tail pipes. That's where the noise is. It's end the end point of teh muffle system so when you let out the clutch the sudden jolt is transimtted to the end point of the mufflers effecting the grommets/hangers which have a little play built. Nothing unusual . Your mufflers will shake a little anyways. Your car is OK.
Sorry, an old thread but the answer, finally, to the rattling sound I have been experiencing. Some say it's in the tranny but this sounds like the most reasonable and logical explanation! From all I read it is perfectly "normal" for a $75k car! I can live with it by increasing the rpm at launch.
2010 Suburban
mtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #37 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

My 94 Z28 had the trans rattle at idle. I commented if it was normal to the dealer and they replaced the trans at 15,000 miles, as at the time GM wanted to get some of the T56's back from the field to see how they were holding up. I marked the case of the old trans to make sure that the trans was really replaced, and the new T56 made the same noise. However, my 08 C6Z does not make nearly the same level of noise, but is there.
I CORNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 AM   #38 (permalink)
Z06 Member

Hi there, Thats not what we are refering to. It does not rattle at "Idle". as a matter of fact it sound great at idle. The propblem is when your in 1st gear. If you let the clutch out without giving it alot of "RPM's" you will hear a ratteling sound like your running over gravel. When I test drove my z before I purchased it I heard it but thought I had run over some rocks or something. I probably would not have bought the car if I knew that was normal.
SHEPME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #39 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEPME View Post
Hi there, Thats not what we are refering to. It does not rattle at "Idle". as a matter of fact it sound great at idle. The propblem is when your in 1st gear. If you let the clutch out without giving it alot of "RPM's" you will hear a ratteling sound like your running over gravel. When I test drove my z before I purchased it I heard it but thought I had run over some rocks or something. I probably would not have bought the car if I knew that was normal.
While I hate hearing that sound I love driving the car. This morning in cool air windows down rolling through open roads hearing the engine hum. I can live with the rattle.
2010 Suburban
mtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #40 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEPME View Post
I really have not noticed any objectionable rattle during first gear clutch engagement and acceleration different from other 6-speed transmissions that I have driven. No, it is not Nissan/Toyota quiet, but OK to me. My C6Z is a 2008. Didn't they make a change to the trans between 2006/2007 and 2008 & up?

Rick
I CORNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Pit Road