Best Oil for Z06 (Alternatives to GM4719 Spec Mobile1) - Page 3 - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Pit Road
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #31 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Re: Best Oil for Z06 (Alternatives to GM4719 Spec Mobile1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ06 View Post
OK, if that's the case...what tribe am I from??

Mike
Mike, your tribe is "Forumus administratus!"

Your tribe:

forumus administratus prides itself on world class bar-b-que.

They also sweat during summertime
They also shiver during wintertime
They enjoy springtime (before the bugs!)
Dunno about fall as they might like the rain/tornadoes.

btw~ KC K or KC Mo?
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Lifetime Premium Member

I was curious what Amsoil's story was behind the dexos1 licensing program. I couldn't get them to tell me why they don't want to pay GM for a logo, but they did tell me this:

"AMSOIL 5W30 Gasoline engine oils are recommended for use where Dexos 1 is called for by GM. While it is not licensed by GM, it has gone thru extensive testing and meets their performance classifications. We warrant its performance, so if an oil related problem ever occurred, repairs would be made under terms of our warranty. If a failure not caused by the oil used occurred, GM would still cover repairs."

So the good news for Amsoil fans is in the unlikely event that GM blames your oil for your failure, Amsoil will cover you if the oil really is at fault.

I can see how this could turn into a rather annoying pissing contest between them though. Amsoil requires you to submit an oil sample. If they think it is fine and GM says it isn't, it could be a major pain to resolve.
(AKA Jon) 2002 EB Z06, LTPWS, K&N, CLB, T1 bars, Pfadt spherical bearings, AP Racing brakes, DRM brake ducts/trans and diff coolers, Phoenix spindle adapters, Ron Davis radiator/EOC, Carbotech pads, Goodridge brake lines, Elite Engineering Heel-Toe pedal/oil catch can/radiator screen, TurnOne PS pump, Optima red top, C6 Z06 Shifter, Corbeau A4s, BK Harness bar and belt mounts, Simpson 5 pt harnesses, CAGS eliminator. Everything is a DIY project to me.
XFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
Z06 Tech Advisor

Premium Member

Show me one time a 3rd party made such 3rd party warranty claims and then lived up to it ?
Oil maker does not own a 3rd party warranty insurance business, at most contracts that to another 3rd party and they do not want to pay out

The whole purpose GM came up with dexos1 was to rid the marketing BS of vendors claiming to "meet or exceed" GM specs.

Simple now, no excuse, not tested by GM labs, no license, not on approval list and you can bet if a vendor made claims in writing that that met GM specs that GM could sue them.
Go to GM dexos1 website, last vendor updated list was in June of this year

GM spent years in their labs with Mobil I to come up with dexos1 so why switch oil brand with a car under GM warranty when there has never been a case in court that a GM engine failed due to Mobil I oil ?

As to contest there is none as when owner buys a GM car he is also agreeing with GM warranty policy and it is clear only GM approved oils and fluids be used, if not then owner is saying they no longer want GM's warranty.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #34 (permalink)
Administrator

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
Mike, your tribe is "Forumus administratus!"

Your tribe:

forumus administratus prides itself on world class bar-b-que.

They also sweat during summertime
They also shiver during wintertime
They enjoy springtime (before the bugs!)
Dunno about fall as they might like the rain/tornadoes.

btw~ KC K or KC Mo?
True enough

KCMO

Mike
MikesZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #35 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Premium Member

I really didn't want to make this a big deal. I'm personally of the opinion that good oil is good oil and I honor the GM requirements of their warranty, and my oil analysis confirms that 5w-30 mobil 1 is fine for my car for what I do... BUT... When out of warranty, I want the best oil for my car period. I have read enough to know 5w-30 is not the typical oil used by engine makers unless those engine makers are governed by the EPA.
zeta08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #36 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingvette View Post
The whole purpose GM came up with dexos1 was to rid the marketing BS of vendors claiming to "meet or exceed" GM specs.
The problem is some oil manufacturers only view this as GM creating a profit center. If they feel their standards have merit, why not use the tripartite of API, SAE and ASTM to describe the oil quality properties and improve oil quality for everyone?
(AKA Jon) 2002 EB Z06, LTPWS, K&N, CLB, T1 bars, Pfadt spherical bearings, AP Racing brakes, DRM brake ducts/trans and diff coolers, Phoenix spindle adapters, Ron Davis radiator/EOC, Carbotech pads, Goodridge brake lines, Elite Engineering Heel-Toe pedal/oil catch can/radiator screen, TurnOne PS pump, Optima red top, C6 Z06 Shifter, Corbeau A4s, BK Harness bar and belt mounts, Simpson 5 pt harnesses, CAGS eliminator. Everything is a DIY project to me.
XFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #37 (permalink)
Z06 Tech Advisor

Premium Member

Simple as what really was happening is Japan and Europe was trying to lobby/force a new American oil standard that they owned patents on and then make GM and others pay them royalty and that GM felt their years of testing that dexos1 is a better design
Hence more signs of non American vendors trying to force their products on American consumers.
GM does not warranty even a LS9 for 8 years, 100,000 in using piss for oil
Look at dexos2 which is slanted for Europe use.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #38 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Spent some time in my local Wallyworld yesterday. The ONLY oil that they had that had the "dexos" label was Mobil 1 5W-30. No other oil maker, no other viscosity range.

Kinda misleading as Mobil 1 isn't the "best." But it's "ok."

There are 3 or 4 other oils I'd use before the Mobil koolaide.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #39 (permalink)

Realize I'm late to this party, but just bought a Z06 yesterday, and this is the first priority. I just got rid of my Accord with 185k, and my wife's with 150k, ran Mobil1 and feel there was a lot of life left in both cars, just got spooked--never kept a car that long. Also, talked to a NASCAR tech school graduate who had a Z06 for sale and he said no matter what oil sticker was on the car, every single NASCAR ran Mobil1. That said, he used royal purple, thought Mobil1 tended to cause leaks, but was a great oil. Just some input--sticking with Mobil1. Thanks for the great info!
7thvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #40 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Premium Member

Leaks? No.
zeta08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta08 View Post
Leaks? No.
Yeah, I agree. Don't fix what ain't broke--sticking with Mobil 1. Never had a leak with the stuff, used it a dozen vehicles!
7thvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #42 (permalink)

Hi Racingvette,

I live out in Qatar (means HOTTER THAN THE SUN in arabic)..the typical temperatures out here vary as follows...

3months 15-25 Celcius
6months 25-40 Celcius
3months 40-50 Celcius

I do the odd track day in the coldest months and use the car every day as my commuter.

The local Chevrolet garage here are not very good, the oil filler cap says 5w-30 Mobil1, would you suggest a different grade of Mobil1 considering the climate?
TobyLaRohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:31 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
That was in 1990 at Fort Stockton Tx track with the King, ZR-1 using Mobil 1
broke these records

INTERNATIONAL RECORDS

100 Miles @ 175.600 MPH

500 Miles @ 175.503 MPH

1000 Miles @ 174.428 MPH

5000 KM @ 175.710 MPH

5000 Miles @ 173.791 MPH

12 Hours Endurance @ 175.523 MPH

24 Hours Endurance @ 175.885 MPH for 4,221.256 Miles

WORLD RECORDS

5000 KM @ 175.710 MPH

5000 Miles @ 173.791 MPH

4,221.256 Miles @ 175.885 MPH
With STATS like these, why would anyone consider using anything ELSE?
ONE HUNDRED SEVENTY FIVE MILES AN HOUR FOR HOUR UPON HOUR.....without an OIL related failure!!! Can ANY OTHER manufacturer make that claim? Think about how spectacular that is! PROVEN!!! .
We're talking a couple bucks difference for an oil change.... I don't know the prevailing thought process or opinions, but for ME, I would much rather have my engine protected for the long run with a product that can stand up to brutal and extreme endurance trials and statistics like those provided by "RACING VETTE" .....with obviously stellar results!!! If you look at what other manufacturers are using in their engines for ENDURANCE RACING ((Porsche, BMW, SALEEN, Lamborghini, Ferrari to name a few)), compare stats, failures, results...it's pretty much a no brainer. You don't have to spend more money for additives, GM/Corvette/Performance has done a HUGE amount of research and testing to validate the claims of Mobil I, they use it in the C6Rs exclusively, why mess with success?!?! The temperature range alone that Mobil I can withstand without cooking off and gumming up the internals is phenominal in comparison to standard motor oil regardless of the brand name.
Thanks for the info RacingVette! Cheers!
Vettemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #44 (permalink)
Z06 Tech Advisor

Premium Member

Yes

With summer temps running 100-120F degrees and track induced heat of power/drive trains 5W30 is to thin.

Try going to at least 10W30 or for racing 15W40 for engine
Mobil I makes good performance synthetic fluids for the transmission and also rear end that handle heat better and will not foam up

Also if your running 50/50% water/antifreeze if you use more percentage of water as it transmits heat out better then antifreeze does will help reduce the coolant temps a bit

A higher volume flowing radiator will help pull more heat out of coolant and the end cap where oil is being cooled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyLaRohne View Post
Hi Racingvette,

I live out in Qatar (means HOTTER THAN THE SUN in arabic)..the typical temperatures out here vary as follows...

3months 15-25 Celcius
6months 25-40 Celcius
3months 40-50 Celcius

I do the odd track day in the coldest months and use the car every day as my commuter.

The local Chevrolet garage here are not very good, the oil filler cap says 5w-30 Mobil1, would you suggest a different grade of Mobil1 considering the climate?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes

With summer temps running 100-120F degrees and track induced heat of power/drive trains 5W30 is to thin.

Try going to at least 10W30 or for racing 15W40 for engine
Mobil I makes good performance synthetic fluids for the transmission and also rear end that handle heat better and will not foam up

Also if your running 50/50% water/antifreeze if you use more percentage of water as it transmits heat out better then antifreeze does will help reduce the coolant temps a bit

A higher volume flowing radiator will help pull more heat out of coolant and the end cap where oil is being cooled.
Thankyou for your advice! The car is in for a service and I've requested they use 10w30.
TobyLaRohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Pit Road