C6 Z06 Exhaust?? - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Pit Road
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

C6 Z06 Exhaust??

I am wanting to put either a Borla Sport Exhaust or the Corsa Sport Exhaust on my C6 Z06 and don't know which to go with? Any help? Does anyone know which one sounds meaner? :bang:
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 03:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Location: Mt Juliet, TN Z06 FEST PARTICIPANT I II III IV V VI & VII
Re: C6 Z06 Exhaust??

I've been completely satisfied with Corsa on my C5 & C6 Vettes. Excellent quality, awesome sound, with great customer service.
Join the NCM, 1.800.53.VETTE
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Zippy... Thanks for the info! I was leaning toward the Corsa since Lingenfelter uses them and I don't really like the look of the Borla intercooled tips. When is your LE ZO6 supposed to show up? That is awesome! Did you like the White Ron Fellows Z06 you had? I had always wished they would have produced the Z06 in white. Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Location: Mt Juliet, TN Z06 FEST PARTICIPANT I II III IV V VI & VII

Corsa was the chosen exhaust in previous Indy pace car Vettes.
You can listen to my '06 Z06 on Corsa's website, just click on their sound bites within their site. Corsa used my '06Z to develop their 3" exhaust.

Bowling Green has not begun production of the new 427 Limited Edition. However my order has been submitted to BG!

Yes, I enjoyed the RFZ. Without a doubt my favorite C6 model.
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JKennedy1612

I would search youtube to hear the different sounds. ***edited***

DO NOT USE ANOTHER MEMBERS THREAD TO SELL YOUR PARTS !
2007 Cobalt SS S/C: GM Stage 2, GMPP Exhaust, GMPP Manifold, ZZP Catless DP, 2.9" Pulley,
Torque Dampener, 8000K HIDs, AEM Airbox Mod

Last edited by MikesZ06; 04-11-2008 at 09:02 AM. Reason: See comments
JKennedy1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I put the Dynamax headers and the Corsa mufflers on my C6 Z06 and it sounds and drives great. It's a very worthwhile mod. I hated the exhaust bypass valve system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiknss View Post
I am wanting to put either a Borla Sport Exhaust or the Corsa Sport Exhaust on my C6 Z06 and don't know which to go with? Any help? Does anyone know which one sounds meaner? :bang:
65hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a 2008 zo6, borla exhaust is def. the way to go. Been a borla man ever since I saw my friends vette with borla back when c5's were new. Once you go borla, you never go back
TheRealMrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

I disagree. The Borla systems that I have heard are obnoxiously loud compared to the Corsa systems, and tend to get the attention of law enforcement officers. The Corsa setup sounds fantastic, and only gets loud when you start to really crowd the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMrEd View Post
I have a 2008 zo6, borla exhaust is def. the way to go. Been a borla man ever since I saw my friends vette with borla back when c5's were new. Once you go borla, you never go back
Old 06-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65hemi View Post
I disagree. The Borla systems that I have heard are obnoxiously loud compared to the Corsa systems, and tend to get the attention of law enforcement officers. The Corsa setup sounds fantastic, and only gets loud when you start to really crowd the throttle.
It’s all subject to opinion when it comes down to it. Personally I despise the Borla systems, especially on the C6 (the design of the system just looks cheap imo, like they slapped a pair of F-body Flowmasters together, which can't be that light either). As for the sound of Borlas altogether, I have to agree they are very loud and obnoxious (especially at the lower rpms) with a very bassy sound that takes away from the natural crackle of an unrestricted V8.

I love the Corsa because it doesn’t take away from that NASCAR crackle, but others may think that sounds cheap as well. That "natural" unrestricted V8 sound has no tuned tone to it, which others dislike. Most compare the sound of a Corsa to that of a diesel engine (especially at idle) and I would have to agree somewhat. In the end However the tone I always look for is that "race" tone, and you rarely if ever hear NASCAR or other V8 racecars for that matter sounding like a Borla so that’s how I come to terms with it.

Best exhaust for the C6z imo is the B&B Fusion. Looks light, retains the stock valve system (which is so damn awesome!), and doesn’t clutter the hell out of the rear end like some of the other systems out there. When I finally make the plunge into a C6 that’s the first thing I am throwing on!!

My friend has the 01Z and he LOVES his Borla. We get into arguments over what sounds nicer (I prefer my stock ti to his Borla, he hates the crackle that those systems make). Bottom line is this as I tell him, love the Chevy V8s but man nothing sounds better than a V8 Ford so we all lose in the end .

02 Z06 Blk/Blk
06 Yamaha R6 Raven (Sold)
:flaming: ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ :flaming:
Over-rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Good post. I agree with most of what you said except for two issues. My system (Dynamax headers and Corsa mufflers) sounds great at idle - far superior to the stock system. And I hate the stock exhaust bypass valve system. I can't image why anyone would want to keep it. As far as I'm concerned, that's the worst idea Chevrolet ever came up with. A C6 Z-06 with the stock exhaust system sounds like a sewing machine at idle (with the exhaust valves closed), and has an obnoxious drone from about 1,400 to 1,700 rpm with the fuse pulled (exhaust valves open). That's the primary reason I replaced the exhaust system on my car - to get rid of the crappy exhaust valves. I also was interested in saving a significant amount of weight and making significantly more horsepower and torque. That's why I changed the entire system, not just the mufflers. The exhaust system on a C6 Z-06 is absolutely the most poorly-designed aspect of the car. It's unnecessarily heavy and sounds like a Honda Civic at idle. I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over-rev View Post
It’s all subject to opinion when it comes down to it. Personally I despise the Borla systems, especially on the C6 (the design of the system just looks cheap imo, like they slapped a pair of F-body Flowmasters together, which can't be that light either). As for the sound of Borlas altogether, I have to agree they are very loud and obnoxious (especially at the lower rpms) with a very bassy sound that takes away from the natural crackle of an unrestricted V8.

I love the Corsa because it doesn’t take away from that NASCAR crackle, but others may think that sounds cheap as well. That "natural" unrestricted V8 sound has no tuned tone to it, which others dislike. Most compare the sound of a Corsa to that of a diesel engine (especially at idle) and I would have to agree somewhat. In the end However the tone I always look for is that "race" tone, and you rarely if ever hear NASCAR or other V8 racecars for that matter sounding like a Borla so that’s how I come to terms with it.

Best exhaust for the C6z imo is the B&B Fusion. Looks light, retains the stock valve system (which is so damn awesome!), and doesn’t clutter the hell out of the rear end like some of the other systems out there. When I finally make the plunge into a C6 that’s the first thing I am throwing on!!

My friend has the 01Z and he LOVES his Borla. We get into arguments over what sounds nicer (I prefer my stock ti to his Borla, he hates the crackle that those systems make). Bottom line is this as I tell him, love the Chevy V8s but man nothing sounds better than a V8 Ford so we all lose in the end .

Last edited by 65hemi; 06-03-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65hemi View Post
Good post. I agree with most of what you said except for two issues. My system (Dynamax headers and Corsa mufflers) sounds great at idle - far superior to the stock system. And I hate the stock exhaust bypass valve system. The exhaust system on a C6 Z-06 is absolutely the most poorly-designed aspect of the car. It's unnecessarily heavy and sounds like a Honda Civic at idle. I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Most of the systems I have heard with Corsas were just the mufflers (on youtube). I have to admit when a set of headers are thrown into the picture, the Corsas sound much better, but this is just from watching videos of the setup as I have no actual experience with the C6Z.

Agree 100% the stock system not only is poorly designed, but it looks half-assed. They painted it with some sort of black corrosion-protector which only goes over part of the system. The system itself looks heavy as hell (which you would have surely seen for yourself when you got them off), but then again this is only from reading other posts and watching videos on the subject.

I wish someone would post the weight of the stock mufflers (just mufflers, crossover not really needed as there are usually only a few pounds difference between systems) compared to other systems like the Borla, Corsa, B&B, etc. I know the Katech exhaust is probably the lightest of them all (claimed 30 lbs of weight reduction) however it would be awesome to see a comparison chart of the savings you get from the other systems as well as of yet I have been unable to find a comparison like this for the C6.

As for the bypass, the main reason I like it is for that cop-factor. When driving around town you could easily silence the car, this would make yourself far less of a spectacle whenever you want. But with a careful choice of headers/exhaust the system you have might indeed be quiet enough as to not gather too much attention (at least when you don’t want it!). If this was the case then I honestly wouldn’t care too much for the bypass valves either.

02 Z06 Blk/Blk
06 Yamaha R6 Raven (Sold)
:flaming: ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ :flaming:
Over-rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Pit Road