Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Do headers make a difference on my zo6

44K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  MikesZ06 
#1 ·
My car is at the shop,I'm debating if I should go with headers or not,I'm currently putting a cold air and a mild cam,there telling me it should make 520hp to the wheels,there telling me to put ARH headers in my car,is it going to make a difference,some people tell me they only got 3 to 5 horsepower,it's alot of money to spend for that gain,so I was wondering maybe you guys have any info for me,thanks again guys

#4 ·
Thanks guys you guys just saved me about $2,000,since the cars in the shop getting the cold air intake and the cam is there anything you guys recommend to do to the car while it's in there,i just don't want to pay later for another tune and dyno,any help would be appreciated

#5 ·
I had a chance to accelerate from about 70 next to a friend's Z06 that had headers and no cats. He got an initial one car length jump, but we stayed that way up to about 130. Cars are both 2007 Z06s and other than the headers they both have the same bolt ons.

#7 ·
Well hears the verdict guys Tune And a cold air Intake I dynoed 486 451 torque. Added Lg 1-3/4 headers. Very Noticeable Gain all threw the power band Dynoed 491 471 torque, and it was very hot no 160 thermostat and with cats Hi flows. But for 800 dollars plus 350 more to change plugs and dyno tune cant beat that. Now if you are going to spend 2k on headears and tune don't get do it get a fast intake and cam. GM like they stated did do a good job on our exhaust system. Get GMs big cam,:drunken: Get fast 102 with the NW tb. you should get to 500 to wheels...but torque wont be as high....

#9 ·
Yea, I'm sure that these vendors who sell headers are gonna say they aren't worth the money :crazy: :roll:

Guys, you are welcome to spend your money anyway you choose. Nothing anyone can say will convince me differently.
I have personally witnessed base line dyno's followed by header install (3 different brands), followed by tunes and dynos.

Not one showed an appreciable gain in mid range or top end numbers on a C6Z (totally different story with a C5Z).

After looking at the oem exhaust manifold on the C6Z I finally understood why.

I personally love headers and have had them on many cars but they are wasted money (IMO) on a C6Z.

btw, the LG headers actually lost a little power on the dyno

Mike

#11 · (Edited)
On a C5Z a good set of LT's should net you at least 20rwhp/tq untuned and probably 30+ with a good tune after the install. Some have gained more, some a bit less. When my C5Z was stock, Dynatech LT's, a Vararam CAI and tuning got me close to a 40 rwhp gain.
Agree with Mike about the C6Z headers,,,waste of money unless you are doing Heads/cam or blower install, then they might be worth the money.

Jimbo

#14 ·
I remember when the LS7 first came out. A very talented tuner (FRC Tom) could easily get 30+ HP gains with only a conservative, quick tune on a bone-stock Z. More was to be had with additional time/tweaking.

#19 ·
Hey guys. I have seen great gains with headers. I run American racing headers in my 06 z06 with an root type edelbrock E-force supercharger. The headers add noticeable power and a real rumble. It's turns heads at idle. I have the mild to wild control for the exhaust baffles also. Yes they did get the car a bit warm but I wrapped em with header tape and problem solved. I'm running 6 psi boost and Power above 650hp. With the ls7 not being ment for boosted applications it's important have your aluminum block sleeved prior. If not you will crack your block. Callie's rods, diamond pistons and an mast motorsport ls7 heads with 250cc flow are being added currently. The more air you drive through the motor and get out fast the better it breathes. I recommend all of these upgrades, really make an amazing driving experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.