Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Fluid Leak rear end area

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  george 
#1 · (Edited)
I have 2900 miles on my 2008 Z06 had no problems till a few days ago. I was pulling the car out and noticed fluid on the ground. After putting the car on my lift, I noticed it was coming from the connection of the transmission to the rear end. Both half shafts looked fine and were dry... I also noticed just a bit of fluid near the connection from the torque tube to the transmission... what do you think is causing the fluid leak?

I have done quite a bit of searching and I am not sure where the vent tube is for the rear end. I should also mention that the fluid is not red.

#2 ·
ok, so I got back under the car after driving it and had no accumulation on the diff... I got the car hot enough to be at 150F oil temp... When I was under the car I did notice that the oil filter was a bit oily on the bottom of it... what are the possibilities that the oil was seaping out of the seal and were making their way to the rear end? It is the lowest point on the path to the back

#4 ·
FLUID COLOR, was it ATF looking fluid (redish) or basic engine lube oil (clear/yellowish) coming from the 3rd member areea? :z:

#7 ·
Make sure your oil filter is on tight. Sounds like you found the base problem area, the motor oil. Often people forget to wipe some oil on their filter seal when installing then going another 1/4 turn or so once your past snug. Look at your drain plugs and check for weeps,tightnes as well. Check all oil lines from the dry sump to reservoir as well. After a good look around and cleaning with say aersol can of any brake fluid wipe the areas and check again say in 25 miles or so. I guess you know to check the oil level in oil reservoir at the recommended engine temp stated in the owners manual book or you can over fill it. Don't forget to check the fill cap and dips stick inteh reservoir seals are clean and not cut. I don't run fuel rail covers (put in storage) so I can see if any valve covers leak for that reason. Let us know how it works out. Good luck. :z:

#8 ·
oil filter was the problem... I know I tightened it tight enough, because I am notorious for over tightening things (even tho I’m a mech. Engineer.. must be ocd lol)... I bet this could be the once I didn't tighten like I usually do, just to protect my car etc... took it out and put 15ish miles on it and have nothing... seems good to go..

sure am glad I called the dealer back and canceled that appointment :yeadog:

#9 ·
Good news. Just remember each time you change the filter fill it about 3/4 full via the treaded the center hole area slowly. Then stick your finger in it and wipe the filter seal lightly 360 degrees with the oil on your finger. Screw it on by hand snug then take up about 1/4 turn. If not a dry seal will leak often so remember the basics. Anything colored red back on the differential area is just that, tranny or differential. Good idea to always look where you park your car on the floor for any oil or fluid leaks too when backing out. Happy motoring.:z:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.