Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Help! Corsa Exhaust plus Kooks Headers parts -OK?

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MarMPB 
#1 ·
Hello guys!
I'm from Brazil and a very proud new owner of a 2010 torch red Z06 with just 5 K miles on it.
Well, quite a few times during the year I attend a gentlemen event here called Driver Cup with circuit flying laps and top speed drag races- standing Km, 1 mile and 4Km- the time doesn't matter just the top speeds.
My competition is fierce ( Porsches 997 TT PDK, Audi R8 V10 and V10 GT, Mercedes SLS and others). The cars are almost stock, no race cars here. Just minor mods are allowed.
So I'm tuning my Z06 within the rules and just bought the Corsa exhaust crossover pipe and axle back -parts #14173 and #14164.
The thing is I will need the Kooks headers too - I want the catted system that uses parts 6602-ex and 6611s.
Are they compatible? I don't have the Z06 exhaust system schematic, so I'm afraid to overlap the pipes I want to buy.
Please help! I'm getting my ass kicked by those ecu tuned Porsches!

#2 ·
I really don't think the headers, x-pipe and catback will help you much at all.
Money would be better spent on a good cold air intake and a good tune.
The exhaust manifolds on a C6Z06 are quite good. Headers are only necessary if you go with a heads and cam package or forced induction.
Hope this helps.

Jimbo

#3 ·
I agree with Jimbo

The exhaust manifolds on the LS7 are the same as what is on the LS9 for ZR1 which shows if it can output 640 to 700 HP ( with tune) that the exhaust is not limiting performance for the LS7 Z06

The manifolds are more like shortie headers so little gains from long tuber header alone
and in fact the wrong LT headers for the LS7 could reduce low end torque

Being on C6s the CATs are right off the manifolds then installing LTs require CATs being moved downstream up to 2 feet which effects also the 02 sensors and required good custom tune.
Even then no gains with stock cylinder volumes and that race time can be short in timeframe does not allow PCM rally to adjust in those conditions

If any thing install a good X-pipe as close to engine as possible will better low end torque and extract gases out of cylinders better

A good tune will get you 40-50 HP, limit torque management, adjust radiator fan to have a higher rotation speed, reduce engine ping and misfires which reduces how much timing the PCM will yanks out

Where you live I'd think very hot weather so if your into racing

1. install a better volume flowing radiator
2. install a lower tsat like a 170 deg
3. Use a OBD scanner and see in that heat under racing if engine does not need larger fuel injectors like those of the LS9, if so then tune for them
4. Venting of hood to extract heat soak air temps
5. Install a true cold air box to limit hot engine bay air being sucked in
6. Use a quality experienced custom tuner who can tune you via emails
7. Own your own OBD scanner used on a laptop will allow recording all engine conditions and states that help you and your tuner replay the recordings and tweak tune from there.

#4 ·
Thanks guys!
I really thought the exhaust would get me a ton of HP:new_here:
Well the Corsa parts are already in my garage, so lets see. At least the manufacturer says about 19 HP for the X pipe and the catback!
But I will spare the money I was about to put on the headers.
The good news are that my Halltech's Super Bee™ Carbon Fiber CF102 arrived too and I do have a good tuner - the unichip guys.
I'll try to dyno those parts one at a time to see each result and report back here.
In fact I seek the hp gains for the top speed races.
About the flying lap competitions nothing beats a good tire set I think. Also the heat( yes, it can get hot here!) doesn't hurt my performance because the rules allows up to 15 to 40 minutes in each session so I normally do a couple of warm up laps, just two or three hot laps an one cool down lap. My Z06 simply stays cool and at normal working temperature. In fact it gets hotter in traffic!
Oh I will try to post the top speed race results so you can see what !'m talking about.

#5 ·
Keep us updated with your results and good luck with everything.
I bet Z06's are pretty rare in Brazil. BTW, what city in Brazil are you near?

Jimbo

#6 ·
I'm from Rio de Janeiro but most "races" take place in São Paulo.
Here are a few top speeds (not wind corrected) in the 4km driver cup event held in the Embraer airport with a really strong head wind. This was my first race with the Z06 but the speeds of other cars were down about 10 km/h to 20 km/h considering the last event they participate.
As I said before in the "S" classes the only mods allowed are exhaust/intake and ECU tunes.
The only cars here I know that were not modded at all were my own Z06, the Audi R8 GT, the Lambo Supeleggera and the ZR-1. All the others were modded within the rules.

S2 CLASS

My stock Corvette Z06- 293,294Km/h
Audi R8 GT- 302,333Km/h
Lamborghini Gallardo SL 570-4 - 306,041
best porsche 997 turbo pdk- 314,995Km/h
worst porsche 997 turbo pdk - 307,971Km/h

S1 CLASS

Corvette ZR-1 - 302,762
Porsche GT2 - 315,761 Km/h
best in class GT-R ( 2012 ) 311,962 Km/h

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.