Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Just where *is* the ashtray door latch anway?

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  IT L GO 
#1 ·
Every time I change lanes and go over the bott spots, the ashtray door opens up. There has *got* to be a way to easily fix this thing without having to remove the entire center console cover, but I can't seem to find/see the latchin mechanism!

:-?

#4 ·
Bob Clinton said:
In the C5 Z's its spring loaded, no "latch".
Bob is correct! (Geez, I'm glad your name isn't Bill!) I doubt there is a way to increase the tension of the spring. If memory serves me, the spring is attached to the right side pivot point of the door.

Charlie

#5 ·
"Bott spot" is a reflective marker embedded in the roadway to help distinguish lanes, a safety factor. You'll find them in California and other Western states. Not used in states with snowplows...they'll scrape them out.
Named for the inventor....Bott. Don't know his first name.

Hope this helps,

Zippy :z: :z:

#6 ·
With the door open, put a little patch of velcro on the console, just behind where the door would be when the door was closed. Put a small piece of the other velcro on the back side of the door, sticking out just a little past the lip. When you close the door the velcro will grab. Maybe only a few hooks/loops will catch, but you don't need a lot of force to hold it closed so it shouldn't matter.

#8 ·
Zippy said:
"Bott spot" is a reflective marker embedded in the roadway to help distinguish lanes, a safety factor. You'll find them in California and other Western states. Not used in states with snowplows...they'll scrape them out.
Named for the inventor....Bott. Don't know his first name.

Hope this helps,

Zippy :z: :z:
Mark W. Botspot:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.